“Wonderful stay at Kilkenny Ormonde” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Ireland
“Wonderful stay at Kilkenny Ormonde”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

I stayed at the Ormonde for a weekend in July. The hotel is lovely on arrival and the staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the lovely receptionist who checked me out on the Monday.

The parking was very handy, just across from the hotel entrance in a multi-storey car park. The only thing I would say is that it might be good if you could get breakfast until later on a Sunday morning as a lot of hotels are now doing this and it is a real added bonus, especially after a lovely meal and evening in the Ormonde. The hotel was very peaceful despite being in the city centre, however, I might just have been lucky there were no weddings that weekend.

All in all, a lovely stay and I would definitely recommend to friends. Thanks to all at the Ormonde for such a pleasant and comfortable break.

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2010
Dear ClematisBlue,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighedt that you enjoyed your visit and the relaxed and comforatble offering we have in the heart of the City.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed here one night during a drive through Ireland. Location was fine. Shops and restaurants all near by. Lobby contains a large area of couches and tables where you can eat or drink.
No bellman to help with bags. No on site parking. Garage is self-park across the street.
-Room are bare bones. Holiday-Inn-esque.
- Rooms have no air conditioning. I can't imagine why a city hotel would not have a/c. Room was very stuffy and warm. Opened all the windows, which overlooked the roof of the rest of the building and rows of maybe heating compressors? Hard to say. Houses behind. And then a large construction site with a crane looming. Came back from dinner and room was filled with moths and other bugs. You have your choice to sleep with open windows, bugs, noise and people able to look right in your room and no security or you can close up and be warm. At 8 AM construction site came alive with banging and machinery (and us, with open windows.)
-In the afternoon coffee service is set up in the lobby. We asked for decaf coffee and were charged 2.95 euro (!!) for it even though coffee service was gratis!
-No wi-fi in rooms. They supply you with a cable, no charge.
-Room has no wash cloths (??), no pads, no pens, no hair conditioner, no extra towels
-Beds are futon-like. No box spring, just a mattress on wood slats.
-Went into the steak house around 8:30. Someone - maitre d'?- blew past and over his shoulder said "Maybe I can seat you in 30 minutes or so" and left us standing there without ever welcoming us or asking us what we wanted. We left and had a really nice 90 euro meal down the block.
With so many nice hotels around we would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Biobrat,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience, as the least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is a good nights sleep in comfortable surroundings. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely to you and assure you that I have spoken with our management team about your comments on the service you received.

We are the only city centre hotel to offer complimentary parking to all our guests right next door and as with most hotels in Ireland have no need for air conditioning 11 months of the year. That said, it was unusually warm in Kilkenny in August and we provided fans to all our guests who required them. I would also like to clarify that we do not offer a complimentary coffee service in the lobby so I am a liitle confused about this comment.

If you are in Kilkenny in the future I would be delighted if you would contact me personally so that I may have the opportunity to make up for any inconvenience and show you every courtesy.

Clare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

Travelled to kIlkenny for a badly needed break. The room we received on arrival was over the kitchen extractors. The heat was unbelievable.No air conditioning which I had presumed should be standard in a 4 star hotel. Requested a fan at 5pm . Rang again the next morning at 7am and finally received it at 7.30 am. The shower had one heat setting somewhere near boiling point. The staff were nice and did their best. I requested a room change and we were moved down the hall to a marginally cooler room over the street. Our 3 days away were not the laid back relaxing break we had expected. Very disappointed.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear ClaregirlClare,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience, as the least you can expect from a hotel such as ours is a relaxing break. May I take this opportunity to apologise profusely to you and assure you that I have made our management team aware of your review.

galway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

had booked 2 nights B&B 1D & spa treatments here. Spa very nice staff professional. Arrived at hotel room not ready fair enough - told by women on reception that she would ring when the room was ready.1 request was for non smoking room!3 hours later & 3/4 trips back to reception we got allocated a twin room - smoking room. Went back to reception to get another room but non available.Due to medical complaint we couldnt stay in room.Moved to hotel kilkenny for night - had to tranfer back to ormonde the next morning such messing for a night. Try to deal with the guys on reception at least they are professional in their dealings

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamikGalway
Dear JamikGalway,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the way in which your reservation was handled. I am aware that you spoke with our Front Office Manager on arrival and he explained that we had no other room available for you on that evening.

It was certainly not ideal having to travel between two hotels and I appreciate your understanding in this matter. I at least take comfort in the fact that you enjoyed the Spa experience.

I hope that you could see fit to return as I would be delighted to have the opportunity to make up to you for any inconvenience caused. Please conatct me personally if you are so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Welcome to the inhospitality industry. Unhelpful staff (what few of them there were). Budget hotel like rooms (and that's being generous). Woeful service. Woeful, woeful, woeful.
If you just need the basics and are on the rip for the weekend (and have plenty of money to waste) stay here. Otherwise a wide berth is recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear SeriousJuice,

I was really disappointed to read your review on Tripadvisor.com.

It appears that we got alot wrong with your stay and I apologise profusely for that. I have made all of the team aware of your comments and we will use them as a wake up call to us all here.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

From the minute we checked in the weekend was perfect.... met a lovely guy on reception who gave us a really nice room because we mentioned we hadn't a night away in ages (kids!!!). All the staff were very friendly. Room was fab The hotel was so central it was brilliant... 2 minutes from shops pubs etc.No need for a taxi anywhere Couldn't recommend the place enough and hope to be back there again soon.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Sasha088,

I am deligheted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and everything that this wonderful city has to offer.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on Tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ormonde Hotel once again so that we can extend you every courtesy.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Recently stayed in the Kilkenny Ormonde hotel with my husband & daughter who is just under 3yrs - stayed for 3 nights
The staff were all very friendly & we got checked in quickly - parking in the multi storey across the street which was free of charge,,, Room was good size (double & single bed) fridge in room was useless when we turned it on it stayed warm & in fact the running of it heated the room more,, NO AIR CON which we were very surpised at for a 4star hotel. Food was lovely. The Kids club is GREAT, it was our first time using one & have to say the ladies have set a very high bar for any furture clubs we may use , they had arts & crafts, DVDs & Bouncy castle what more could a child wish for.
Location is great & staff gave some great suggestions for places to visit etc.

I used the spa attached to the hotel for a hot stone massage & facial (hot stone massage did not for some reason include actual hot stones but hand temperture stones) Facial was lovely. The room in which got changed into robe had NO working lights & when went to say to girl at reception no one was there so just picked up one of the candles from the hall way & used that so could get changed. Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights & was only able to get booking in the spa on the morning we checked out (which I actually had booked the week before staying in the hotel) Very difficult to even get through to speak to anyone in the spa section Really dont think would use the spa again if ever stayed in the hotel again : (

Goods points:- location - Great kids club - lovely food - friendly & helpful staff

Bad points :- Not really enough staff to go around - NO AIR CON - Spa not up to scratch - No section in the pool which was suitable for non swimming child as all sections too deep

Not really a 4 star standard but 3 star :(

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
Dear mummy-to-a-princess,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

Firstly, starting with the good points, I'm delighted that your children enjoyed our Kids Club. We recently introduced a new Failte Ireland driven customer care programme in the Ormonde, and I'm pleased that your experience was positive in that regard.

I was, however, disappointed to hear of your experience in the Spa and I assure you that I have spoken about your comments with the team. The reason for the lights being out was, unfortunately, outside of our control and this issue has since been resolved.

I hope that the positive aspects of your stay with us outweighed the negative and that you will return again in the near future as I would be delighted to extend you every courtesy.

Kind Regards,