I travelled to Kilkenny from Dublin for a family wedding with great expectations for this 4 star hotel, having read trip advisor comments before hand. Unfortunately, the hotel and it's staff quickly destroyed these high expectations.
On arrival at 1.30 for the wedding IN the hotel at 3pm same day, we were informed by the less than helpful receptionist and her manager that our rooms were not ready (3 rooms) and that we were too early for check in which only starts at 4pm, an hour after the start of the wedding which was to happen IN the hotel!! Clearly this was not an option and on contesting it quite politely and calmly, we were told that there were changing facilities in the Leisure Complex across the street!!! Again, clearly this is unacceptable, we're paying for a hotel as were the other 80 guests (most of whom were unable to check in either). I demanded that we were given "A" room to allow us to change and prepare for the wedding. We were eventually booked in to a smoking room. We put this behind us and got on with the day. The staff during the wedding meal were impeccably organised and the food was incredibly good. They had turned our poor initial experience around, but not for long.
A number of the guests at the wedding had children and one of the services offered by the hotel was to provide a baby sitter from 9pm to 1am. On booking the hotel, the bride and groom requested 2 baby sitters for 3 children, (an 16 month old baby, a 6 year old girl and 5 year old boy). When the mothers of the kids went to reception to speak with the baby sitters and hand over so to speak, the (again) less than helpful receptionist that there was never a baby sitter booked, no such request was made and said that it was not going to happen at such short notice. Both mothers were bridesmaids, one of whom was chief bridesmaid.... at this point they had missed an hour of the proceedings trying to work something out with the hotel. Eventually the ratty receptionist called one of the baby sitters and it turns out they were sitting in the staff dining room eating her dinner and had been told that she was booked from 10pm (FOR US!).
The rest of the night went well, everyone was just happy we could stay contained in our own group, mingle with other hotel guests and not have to interact with the incredibly discourteous hotel staff.
This morning we all checked out and decided that we would all have tea and coffee in the large lobby. There was only 1 person serving the 80 of us and other hotel guests and the hotel manager did not appear to call on other hotel staff to come down and help or even step in and help.
We ordered 4 drinks... 40 minutes later still no sign. One of our group went to check the order and he was told "Oh I forgot, I'll bring it now". No apology.
We left very soon after as we were all tired of having to chase for service.
Ordinarily I would not pick fault with small things in a hotel however after experiencing all of the above, I feel that I can.
1) The entire hotel is ridiculously hot.
2) There is no air con in any of the bedrooms.
3) trying to buy a pack of cigarettes from the machine in the lobby is a 20 minute task if you do not have change (the bar didn't have enough to break a €10 note, nor did reception and after waiting for 10 minutes for someone to show up at the coffee bar (which is in reach of the reception desk where 2 people were working) they could only give it to me in 50 cents.
4) The iron in the bedroom didn't work.
5) there was a door stop right in front of the bath which I nearly broke my toe on getting into the shower this morning.
I'm sure my relatives have other complaints about the hotel and staff, these are just mine.
My recommendation is stay somewhere else. If you can't. Check, double check and then check again with the hotel for any special requirements (baby sitter etc) and prepare to chase EVERY request, no matter how small, you make.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In heart of Kilkenny; stands proudly in the shadows of Kilkenny Castle; beautiful rooms designed/decorated to the highest standard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.