“Possibly worst hotel experience”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“Possibly worst hotel experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I travelled to Kilkenny from Dublin for a family wedding with great expectations for this 4 star hotel, having read trip advisor comments before hand. Unfortunately, the hotel and it's staff quickly destroyed these high expectations.

On arrival at 1.30 for the wedding IN the hotel at 3pm same day, we were informed by the less than helpful receptionist and her manager that our rooms were not ready (3 rooms) and that we were too early for check in which only starts at 4pm, an hour after the start of the wedding which was to happen IN the hotel!! Clearly this was not an option and on contesting it quite politely and calmly, we were told that there were changing facilities in the Leisure Complex across the street!!! Again, clearly this is unacceptable, we're paying for a hotel as were the other 80 guests (most of whom were unable to check in either). I demanded that we were given "A" room to allow us to change and prepare for the wedding. We were eventually booked in to a smoking room. We put this behind us and got on with the day. The staff during the wedding meal were impeccably organised and the food was incredibly good. They had turned our poor initial experience around, but not for long.
A number of the guests at the wedding had children and one of the services offered by the hotel was to provide a baby sitter from 9pm to 1am. On booking the hotel, the bride and groom requested 2 baby sitters for 3 children, (an 16 month old baby, a 6 year old girl and 5 year old boy). When the mothers of the kids went to reception to speak with the baby sitters and hand over so to speak, the (again) less than helpful receptionist that there was never a baby sitter booked, no such request was made and said that it was not going to happen at such short notice. Both mothers were bridesmaids, one of whom was chief bridesmaid.... at this point they had missed an hour of the proceedings trying to work something out with the hotel. Eventually the ratty receptionist called one of the baby sitters and it turns out they were sitting in the staff dining room eating her dinner and had been told that she was booked from 10pm (FOR US!).

The rest of the night went well, everyone was just happy we could stay contained in our own group, mingle with other hotel guests and not have to interact with the incredibly discourteous hotel staff.

This morning we all checked out and decided that we would all have tea and coffee in the large lobby. There was only 1 person serving the 80 of us and other hotel guests and the hotel manager did not appear to call on other hotel staff to come down and help or even step in and help.
We ordered 4 drinks... 40 minutes later still no sign. One of our group went to check the order and he was told "Oh I forgot, I'll bring it now". No apology.

We left very soon after as we were all tired of having to chase for service.

Ordinarily I would not pick fault with small things in a hotel however after experiencing all of the above, I feel that I can.

1) The entire hotel is ridiculously hot.
2) There is no air con in any of the bedrooms.
3) trying to buy a pack of cigarettes from the machine in the lobby is a 20 minute task if you do not have change (the bar didn't have enough to break a €10 note, nor did reception and after waiting for 10 minutes for someone to show up at the coffee bar (which is in reach of the reception desk where 2 people were working) they could only give it to me in 50 cents.
4) The iron in the bedroom didn't work.
5) there was a door stop right in front of the bath which I nearly broke my toe on getting into the shower this morning.

I'm sure my relatives have other complaints about the hotel and staff, these are just mine.

My recommendation is stay somewhere else. If you can't. Check, double check and then check again with the hotel for any special requirements (baby sitter etc) and prepare to chase EVERY request, no matter how small, you make.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Denverbr
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Dear Denverbr,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

We pride ourselves, here, on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. Our job is to ensure all our guests leave Kilkenny with a positive experince of all we have to offer and I cannot give you any excuses if we failed at what I believe we do best. I would, however, like to appologise profusely for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

It is simply impossible for us to have rooms ready for all our guests to check-in at lunch time when check-out time is 12 noon. That is why we make the fabulous and spacious shower and changing facilities in our leisure club available to any guests who wish to arrive early.

I must, however, disagree with your comments about the babysitter. It is clear that you were not one of the people who the babysitter was arranged for and this explains your misunderstanding of the incident. The babysitter had been organised with us for 10pm and it was when she was requested at 9pm the confusion the arose. Two staff members were then organised immediately in place and the situation was recitified by 9.20. It is simply not true that someone was having tea as you have suggested.

I am delighetd that you enjoyed the meal and service around the wedding. I assure you that yours were isolated comments as we have spoken to the wedding couple and they and their families were more than happy with the service and entire experience they received.

If you would like to discuss your experiences in more detail I would be delighted if you contacted me personally so that I could extend you every courtesy.

Yours In Service,

General Manger
Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
wexford
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed at the Ormonde for my hen night last weekend, we had booked 10 rooms for the night. I couldn't say anything negative about the hotel and staff, another hotel in Kilkenny had refused the booking once I mentioned the words "hen party" but the Ormonde were so approachable. We had a lovely meal in savour restaurant, and the staff were very efficient and friendly. The rooms were lovely, a bit warm during the night but clean and comfortable. Overall a great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed September 2010
Dear elliemay4395,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor.

We are lucky to have the most central location in Kilkenny and I'm delighted that you appreciated this. We also have a versitile offering and we can cater for groups, families and couples alike very comfortably. Our menus are designed with this in mind and obviously suited your tastes.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ormonde when you're next in the Marble City.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Our stay started off badly when we got to our room and found that instead of the family room that I had booked (we have 2 small children), we were given a room with a double and a single bed. I went downstairs to ask for a family room and the rude girl at the front desk looked at me like I was disturbing her peace and told me that there wasn't one. I had luckily printed out my booking and showed her that we had patently booked a family room for 4 people (and paid a deposit for it too) and she snapped at me that they could only give me what they had. I agreed with her but pointed out that they must have one or the booking wouldn't have been accepted. Eventually she gave me a family room (see, they did have one!!) but with very ill-grace. My husband had better luck with helpful people at reception later though (I told him specifically to avoid the Grumpy Girl)
Another warning for people travelling in the summer... they have no air conditioning in any of the rooms. You have to depend on open windows, but at night when you need the curtains drawn this is not a very effective means of ventilation. They did however provide a fan when asked.
The children's club is a playroom in the basement with one young harassed girl trying to keep the children occupied and happy - we had originally been excited at the idea of getting some time away from the kids but on seeing it decided to give it a miss.
The pool was big but be warned that you have to have a swimming cap to go in and they'll charge you £5 for one on the spot.
The breakfast was not bad and the location is nice and close to the castle.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear Kittlan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

I am really disappointed that you were treated poorly on check-in and I have discussed your comments in lenght with my reception team. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your husband for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

Its a pity you didnt avail of our Kids Club as it was a huge success this summer and many parents availed of this free service to get some much needed me time. We insist for hygiene reasons that all visitors to our pool wear swimming hats and if you dont have your own, these are available to buy for a nominal fee of €3, not £5 as you have suggested.

I hope that our location and great value will entice you to visit us again. If you wish to do so please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

ireland
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Just back from a two night stay in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel with my 15 month old daughter and my mother. The hotel is located in an ideal location-2 minutes from the shops, restaurants and Kilkenny castle and only ten minute stroll to mcdonagh junction centre.
The staff were very friendly and helpful (reception, restaurant and house keeping staff). The savoir restaurant serves delicious food and they even provided a free baby bowl for my daughter.
The seconed night we ordered up room service as my baby was tired and it arrived in twenty minutes and have no complaints.
The breakfast was also very good with a choice of cereals, fruit, juices, and full Irish.
I would definitely recommened this hotel-no complaints at all.
Will definitely return when we revisit Kilkenny for some christmas shopping :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Dear Eire08,

Many thanks for posting the review of your recent stay with us in the Ormonde.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we seem to have ticked all the boxes for you. We look forward to welcoming you back for your Christmas shopping.

General Manger
Kilkenny Ormomde Hotel
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed in the Ormonde Hotel in November 2009 for purposes of attending an event. I must say that everything about the event and my stay was top quality. The food and service at the event was excellent (well done to Colin, Dee and Martina for all their assistance in ensuring a well run night). The room was extremely comfortable and the ability to roll out of bed, and the hotel, in the morning and immediately be in the middle of Kilkenny was a huge bonus. The front door of the hotel is only a couple of hundred yards from the main street of Kilkenny. Top marks to all in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Dear johnhic11,

Many thanks for posting your review of the Ormonde Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the food, service and also appreciated that you are right in the heart of this vibrant city.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2010

When you first walk in, the entry and lobby are ultraposh. Terrific cozy lounge area right inside with big squishy sofas and chairs. Food and table service were pretty good, but the young man who was coming "right back" to take our drink order must have fallen down a hole. I felt the accommodations were fine - nothing really to complain or rave about, though I'd call the bathrooms very pretty and well appointed. The worst thing about it is the location - uphill - which is just what you don't need after walking through the town to see the sights. Attention smokers: the outdoor smoking area is actually a long terrace, an outdoor extension of the bar, which was a lovely place to sit in the early morning to watch the town awaken. There's also a "smokers' corner" that you access out in the car park - this would be better in foul weather, probably - the decoration is a delightful surprise - I won't blow it for you, but you'll like it.

• Stayed August 2010
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2010
Dear RBerkowitz,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.com.

I am delighetd that you enjoyed your stay with us, although I must apologise for the poor service you received in our Bar.

Our location is very central and I know that the best way to recover from those hours shopping is to have a drink or one of our renowned hot chocolates in the Lounge.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Tallaght
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We are getting married in the Ormonde in September, I have stayed there many times also with children and we have always been really well looked after. Dealing with Martina and also Sinead? (manager) and they have been nothing but professional and engaging. Looking forward to our wedding! Only criticism is the carpet when you walk in always looks dirty!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Oztralian,

Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor.com.

I will pass your kind words onto Martina and Sinead and I look forward to welcoming you both and your families here in September. It is only around the corner now!

The rug at the front door receives every person who enters the hotel and requires that we get it professionally cleaned on a weekly basis. I will ensure that this is the case the day before your big day.

Colin Ahern,