“My family had a really great time during...”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“My family had a really great time during...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

My family had a really great time during august touring Ireland, and I have to say the Ormonde hotel was one of best hotels we encountered. The children loved the pool the kids club was excellent and the location was very central. The only negative I would have is the rooms are very warm at night and we had to wait for out breakfast but the staff were good from the cleaners to waiters and great with my children.

• Stayed August 2010
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2010
Dear Martha44445,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotelon Tripadvisor.com.

I'm delighted you enjoyed our stay with us and I hope you will return once more in the not to distant future.

I look forward to welcoming you back personally,

Kind Regards,

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Monaghan, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

We stayed here for one night in May as part of a hen party at the hotel. Check in wasn’t until 4pm which could be a draw back for some people for us it wasn’t. Check in was a bit of a hassle as there was a group of 21 of us checking in and there was some problems with the rooming lists etc and no bellman to help with bags, check out was easier. The reception had friendly front desk staff. When you first walk in, the entry and lobby are ultra posh. Terrific cozy lounge area right inside with big squishy sofas and chairs. The hotel is located in an ideal location-2 minutes from the shops, bars, restaurants and Kilkenny castle although the hotel is on a slight hill.

The bedroom was lovely, clean and comfortable and had all the usual things you’d expect , there was two beds in it a very good sized double bed and a very good sized single bed they had nice firm mattresses. The bathroom was an adequate size.

We never got to use the leisure centre so I can’t comment on it. There was parking just across from the hotel entrance in a multi-storey car park.

We ate in the restaurant most of the group had a lovely meal however some of the group had problems with their orders being taken down wrong and mixed up with other orders, also the drinks orders were messed up as well. The staff was friendly enough but very slow coming back with the food, drinks and even your change; they tried to charge us twice for drinks we ordered. The breakfast was very good with a choice of cereals, fruit, juices, and full Irish.

The bar was lovely big and airy however the residents bar shut very early (3pm) and didn’t let you know it was shutting up not very good when their was a packed bar mostly from different hen parties looking for drinks. However the porter let us drink our own drink in the reception area.

I would probably stay in this hotel again purely for the fact that it was great value for money and was in a great location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mags200
Dear Mags200,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm glad that you enjoyed Kilkenny and had a good time in the Ormonde Hotel. I cannot offer any excuses, however, for poor service in the Restaurant and I apologise for any inconvenience that was caused to you or any of your party.

I'm happy that you will return and please contact me personally if you wish to do so, so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Kind Regards

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

We recently stayed at the Ormonde Hotel in Kilkenny for a weekend break and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. We were really impressed by the hotel's central location and handy car park which is located right across the road from the hotel. The staff especially Deirdre were really helpful. The room was a good size and well stocked with plenty of toiletries. Breakfast was good with alot of choice. The hotel has a good sized lobby with an area where you can order drinks & snacks. The service there was a little slow however but all in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Ormonde and will be back again as we found it to be really good value.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrlTom
Dear OrlTom,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in the Ormonde and thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tipperary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Stayed at Ormonde for a friends wedding. Couldn't fault the wedding, staff were so professional and efficient. Hotel is stylish, contemporary and very cosy. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Hotel location is central which is great for exploring city. Rooms are spacious, luxurious and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear FionaTipperary,

I'ts really great to get feedbcak from those that attend weddings in the Ormonde, as we put so much time and effort into making sure it is a unique and special day for each couple.

I've passed your comments on to our team and i look forward to welcoming you back one again.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

I travelled to Kilkenny from Dublin for a family wedding with great expectations for this 4 star hotel, having read trip advisor comments before hand. Unfortunately, the hotel and it's staff quickly destroyed these high expectations.

On arrival at 1.30 for the wedding IN the hotel at 3pm same day, we were informed by the less than helpful receptionist and her manager that our rooms were not ready (3 rooms) and that we were too early for check in which only starts at 4pm, an hour after the start of the wedding which was to happen IN the hotel!! Clearly this was not an option and on contesting it quite politely and calmly, we were told that there were changing facilities in the Leisure Complex across the street!!! Again, clearly this is unacceptable, we're paying for a hotel as were the other 80 guests (most of whom were unable to check in either). I demanded that we were given "A" room to allow us to change and prepare for the wedding. We were eventually booked in to a smoking room. We put this behind us and got on with the day. The staff during the wedding meal were impeccably organised and the food was incredibly good. They had turned our poor initial experience around, but not for long.
A number of the guests at the wedding had children and one of the services offered by the hotel was to provide a baby sitter from 9pm to 1am. On booking the hotel, the bride and groom requested 2 baby sitters for 3 children, (an 16 month old baby, a 6 year old girl and 5 year old boy). When the mothers of the kids went to reception to speak with the baby sitters and hand over so to speak, the (again) less than helpful receptionist that there was never a baby sitter booked, no such request was made and said that it was not going to happen at such short notice. Both mothers were bridesmaids, one of whom was chief bridesmaid.... at this point they had missed an hour of the proceedings trying to work something out with the hotel. Eventually the ratty receptionist called one of the baby sitters and it turns out they were sitting in the staff dining room eating her dinner and had been told that she was booked from 10pm (FOR US!).

The rest of the night went well, everyone was just happy we could stay contained in our own group, mingle with other hotel guests and not have to interact with the incredibly discourteous hotel staff.

This morning we all checked out and decided that we would all have tea and coffee in the large lobby. There was only 1 person serving the 80 of us and other hotel guests and the hotel manager did not appear to call on other hotel staff to come down and help or even step in and help.
We ordered 4 drinks... 40 minutes later still no sign. One of our group went to check the order and he was told "Oh I forgot, I'll bring it now". No apology.

We left very soon after as we were all tired of having to chase for service.

Ordinarily I would not pick fault with small things in a hotel however after experiencing all of the above, I feel that I can.

1) The entire hotel is ridiculously hot.
2) There is no air con in any of the bedrooms.
3) trying to buy a pack of cigarettes from the machine in the lobby is a 20 minute task if you do not have change (the bar didn't have enough to break a €10 note, nor did reception and after waiting for 10 minutes for someone to show up at the coffee bar (which is in reach of the reception desk where 2 people were working) they could only give it to me in 50 cents.
4) The iron in the bedroom didn't work.
5) there was a door stop right in front of the bath which I nearly broke my toe on getting into the shower this morning.

I'm sure my relatives have other complaints about the hotel and staff, these are just mine.

My recommendation is stay somewhere else. If you can't. Check, double check and then check again with the hotel for any special requirements (baby sitter etc) and prepare to chase EVERY request, no matter how small, you make.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Denverbr
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Dear Denverbr,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.com. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we may maintain our high standards.

We pride ourselves, here, on our professional service and attention to detail and that is why I was so upset to hear of your disappointment. Our job is to ensure all our guests leave Kilkenny with a positive experince of all we have to offer and I cannot give you any excuses if we failed at what I believe we do best. I would, however, like to appologise profusely for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

It is simply impossible for us to have rooms ready for all our guests to check-in at lunch time when check-out time is 12 noon. That is why we make the fabulous and spacious shower and changing facilities in our leisure club available to any guests who wish to arrive early.

I must, however, disagree with your comments about the babysitter. It is clear that you were not one of the people who the babysitter was arranged for and this explains your misunderstanding of the incident. The babysitter had been organised with us for 10pm and it was when she was requested at 9pm the confusion the arose. Two staff members were then organised immediately in place and the situation was recitified by 9.20. It is simply not true that someone was having tea as you have suggested.

I am delighetd that you enjoyed the meal and service around the wedding. I assure you that yours were isolated comments as we have spoken to the wedding couple and they and their families were more than happy with the service and entire experience they received.

If you would like to discuss your experiences in more detail I would be delighted if you contacted me personally so that I could extend you every courtesy.

Yours In Service,

General Manger
wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed at the Ormonde for my hen night last weekend, we had booked 10 rooms for the night. I couldn't say anything negative about the hotel and staff, another hotel in Kilkenny had refused the booking once I mentioned the words "hen party" but the Ormonde were so approachable. We had a lovely meal in savour restaurant, and the staff were very efficient and friendly. The rooms were lovely, a bit warm during the night but clean and comfortable. Overall a great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed September 2010
Dear elliemay4395,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor.

We are lucky to have the most central location in Kilkenny and I'm delighted that you appreciated this. We also have a versitile offering and we can cater for groups, families and couples alike very comfortably. Our menus are designed with this in mind and obviously suited your tastes.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ormonde when you're next in the Marble City.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Our stay started off badly when we got to our room and found that instead of the family room that I had booked (we have 2 small children), we were given a room with a double and a single bed. I went downstairs to ask for a family room and the rude girl at the front desk looked at me like I was disturbing her peace and told me that there wasn't one. I had luckily printed out my booking and showed her that we had patently booked a family room for 4 people (and paid a deposit for it too) and she snapped at me that they could only give me what they had. I agreed with her but pointed out that they must have one or the booking wouldn't have been accepted. Eventually she gave me a family room (see, they did have one!!) but with very ill-grace. My husband had better luck with helpful people at reception later though (I told him specifically to avoid the Grumpy Girl)
Another warning for people travelling in the summer... they have no air conditioning in any of the rooms. You have to depend on open windows, but at night when you need the curtains drawn this is not a very effective means of ventilation. They did however provide a fan when asked.
The children's club is a playroom in the basement with one young harassed girl trying to keep the children occupied and happy - we had originally been excited at the idea of getting some time away from the kids but on seeing it decided to give it a miss.
The pool was big but be warned that you have to have a swimming cap to go in and they'll charge you £5 for one on the spot.
The breakfast was not bad and the location is nice and close to the castle.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear Kittlan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

I am really disappointed that you were treated poorly on check-in and I have discussed your comments in lenght with my reception team. Customer care is of paramount importance to me and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed at what I believe we do best. May I apologise profusely to you and your husband for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

Its a pity you didnt avail of our Kids Club as it was a huge success this summer and many parents availed of this free service to get some much needed me time. We insist for hygiene reasons that all visitors to our pool wear swimming hats and if you dont have your own, these are available to buy for a nominal fee of €3, not £5 as you have suggested.

I hope that our location and great value will entice you to visit us again. If you wish to do so please contact me personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.