“great location- value for money”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Stayed at the Ormonde on a Sat night in Jan- the hotel was extremly busy with a large function on, despite having no booking for dinner the extremly helpful staff fitted us in and the food was fantastic, lovely friedly staff all round from the welcome on arrival. Nice leisure facilites for a city centre hotel, with just over an hour drive back to dublin it was a great spot for a break,

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Dear lemsip97,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

Kilkenny is a wonderful place for a short break and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ormonde soon.

There are newer reviews for Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Reviewed 30 January 2011

Myself and my two friends stayed here for one night. The room was very nice and spacious. The leisure centre was also pleasant. My only complaints are the bedrooms being far too warm and when we checked out we were not asked if everything was ok during our stay. Having to pay for parking should also have been told to use when we were booking the room as you have to pay 5 euro per night to park in the car park next to the hotel. Besides these small complaints it is a fantastic location and if I was to return I would stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2011

Dear Lynnabell,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm delighted that you would return to us and I apologise sincerely if we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion. I assure you that we will on your return.

The car-parking opposite the hotel offers secure, city centre, unlimited 24 hour access to any guest of our hotel for €5, which I believe is great value. That said, you should have been made aware of this when booking the room. With regard to the warmth of the bedroom, the unprecidented weather we experienced in January did give us some challenges which, to a large extent, we managed.

Finally, I look forward to welcoming you back and please feel free to contact me personally so that I may extend you every courtesy.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

A dissapointing trip . As this hotel was recommended to us we were looking forward to our stay. But unfortunately we were let down by it. Our room was filthy, there was hairs in the sink , cobwebs on the ceiling , dust on the pedestal of the table and there was ash on the window sill, left by an other guest. The room had obviously not been cleaned after the previous guest vacated. A 4 star hotel i think not. :(

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Patty145,

Thank you for posting your review our hotel on tripadvisor.

I am aware that your review relates to the experience of one of your colleagues and I appreciate the fact that this guest took my call recently. I would like take the opportunity to reitereate my sincere apologies to you and your friends.

I have passed your comments onto my accommodation team and rest assured that this was very much an isolated incident.

I hope that you could see fit to visit us again so that I may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and extend you every courtesy.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2011

I work in a hotel and after an exeptionally busy christmas period I felt i needed a break. I googled a few places to see who was doing a good deal. I wanted somewhere just to chill out and be looked after and spend some good quality time with my husband and 2 kids. I also wanted just somewhere not 2 far from home as I just wanted one night. Kilkenny Ormonde looked perfect. It had a spa, leasure centre was just over an hours drive from our home in Kildare. I rang and asked for the best deal for a family room for one night for myself, my husband, my 6yr old son and my 1 and 1/2 yr old daughter. The very friendly lady quoted me €89 B&B. Delighted I booked and asked her to email me confirmation of my booking ( I always like to have it in writing) . I never got this email. I only booked 2 days before my planned stay. I rang the morning we were heading for Kilkenny just to double check and the lady on the phone confirmed the booking and apologised for me not getting the email. So off we went. Impressed by Kilkenny city on arrival we were looking forward to the a good time. We couldn't find the hotel so my husband called the hotel while I drove and a lovely lady gave us clear directions and we were there in no time. First impression as I walked in .... wow, this looks great, very luxurious and welcoming. When trying to check in we got a bit of a surprise when the receptionist replied " sorry we dont seem to have your reservation". Surprised I said to her "'m sorry but you must"because I booked this Hotel for definite as I regonised the Hotel from the pictures on the internet and after the calling them I knew I was in the right place. She looked very confused . My poor husband panicked. I explained to her about how I had expected an email and never got it and how I had rang and confirmed and how we had been on the phone while trying to find them. She just said " well we have a room free anyway". At this point her manger appeared from behind her and just said wahts the problem? Got the vibe from between them that he just wanted her to play the situation down, and just check us in anyway. Turns out, very simply the spelt my name wrong and of course they had our booking. Word of advice ( and experience) for the reservation staff and recepetion always double check the name or the spelling. It can cause offence and panic ( as in the case of my husband). I forgave the hotel very quickly for this small mistake as the receptionist was very polite and smiled compationatly ( not one of those fake, forced smiles that customer service staff tend to use). On we went to the bedroom. It was lovely and had all the facilities you would expect and very clean. One small problem was that they had put in a camp bed instead of a cot for my daughter. All it took was one quick chat with the receptionist agin and it was sorted in minutes and a kind gentleman porter looked after us very well. My son headed to the kids club. This is a fantastic service offered by the hotel. Maria was brilliant and my son had a great time. Myself , my husband our daughter had bar food during this time and it was great. The bar man was brilliant. So polite, very helpful and genuinely pleasant. We didnt even have to ask for anything as he just seem to know how to look after us. Like bringing a high chair without having to be asked. He also offered juice for the baby. My husband and I both had cod and chips and it was lovely. Well presented & good value at €12.50. He checked back on us and honestly this man must love his job as he clearly is very good at it. We had another drink later in the very comfortable lobby area afer dinner. This hotel is very good for families as we were not the only ones their with children and there was no problem in having them with us playing with their toys in the comfort of the lobby. So impressed with the hotel and enjoying it so much we decided to book in for an extra night. Off we went to bed and we all had a very comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast in the morning was good. Its buffet style and the buffet is kept well topped up and fresh. The tea & toast was bit slow arriving but they were so busy this is very forgivable. After the breakfast we went to the leisure centre. Its a great amenity. So clean and the changing rooms have everything you would expect and more. ( like a travel cot in the family changing room, excelent idea so you have somewhere safe to place your baby while you dress yourself).We all really enjoyed the pool. We spent the day exploring Kilkenny and my son was so excited to get back to the hotel for another evening of fun at the kids club. In the morning I tried to get on the internet on the computer in the lobby and when it wasn't working the very friendly receptionist offered to let me use her computer behind the desk. Check out was very efficient and a bid of " safe home and thank you " was very nice indeed. I would recoomend this hotel to other friends with children and I would return. Big thank you to Deirdre for the help in locating a chemist at 7pm and the fact that she checked back to see if we were ok showed she really cared. ( I had to get calpol for my poor teething baby).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Dear clocontegmick,

That you for your detailed review of the Ormonde Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I acknowledge that there were some small hiccups during your stay with us, however, I'm delighted that these were dealt with in a friendly and professional manner, and that your overall experince was very positive.

I have made all the team aware of your comments and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Ormonde Hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2011

When I arrived I was very impressed with the location so near everything, right in the centre of the city. the reception staff were very efficient and there was a very relaxed athmosphere. rooms were nice with everything you expect and immaculate. Only negative about the room was I found the bed too hard but that was probably just personal taste.
However the restaurant really lets this hotel down. We ate in O'Reillys. We we waiting over 40 minutes for our starter. I had caesar salad for starter and it was very bland with a really thin sauce. I had duck for the main and had to send it back because it wasn't cooked properly. It was completely pink all the way through. The waitress came back and said the chef wanted to know how I had asked for my duck to be cooked, rare, medium or well done. I have never been asked if I liked my duck rare, medium or well done. I normally never send anything back but i just couldn't eat it. I was sent out a different piece of duck which was cooked a little more but was still pink all the way through. The dessert was also tasteless and it was like something off a supermarket shelf.

Overall a nice place to stay the night in the centre of Kilkenny but would eat out in one of the many nearby restaurants instead
we we waiting over 40 minutes

• Stayed: December 2010

Dear cos3,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Whilst I'm delighted that your overall experience was positive, I'm disappointed that you did not enjoy the food in O'Reillys. Our standard is to cook duck pink, however, it appears on this occasion that your request was not handled very professionally. Please accept my sincere apologies and I assure you that your experience would not be the norm.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Ormonde Hotel in the future and please feel free to contact me personally if you wish, so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2011

i want to thank the ormonde hotel for a fantastic birthday celebration for my dad who was 80 on 5th of dec . we had to cancel on the 5th due to the bad weather but was accomadated with the same private room and menu the following weekend.
they were very busy on the night in question but supplied a great meal and service to 40 people. by the way your duck leg starter was to die for.we were never rushed or pressured in any way and all in all great work from the ormonde.
thanks
heffernan family

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Dear Monica19771973,

Thank you for posting the review of your experience with us on Tripadvisor.com.

We appreciate the effort you all made in the freezing conditions outside to get to us and I'm delighted that your Dad and all your family enjoyed his birthday celebrations.

I will pass your kind comments on to all the team here.

Colin Ahern,

Reviewed 31 December 2010

We stayed at the ormonde for one night on a b&b basis in December. The surfaces in the room we stayed in were very dirty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a while. I was extremely surprised that our mini bar was completely empty without even as much as a bottle of water available for purchase. I also found the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in room disappointing. Our room was also far too hot. We didn't make any complaints as we were only staying for one night and the location is very good. I would not recommend this hotel as there are far better value hotels in the area than this one. We did book through a third party site on a special offer so I am not sure whether we would have gotten a better room outside the special offer. All in all very disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2010

Dear PragmaticPat,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com.

I was disappointed to read your comments and may I take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you. I assure you that I have discussed your experiences in lenght with my team.

I really wish you had taken the time to make your feelings known to us as the issues you identify could have been rectified immediately. There is a note in all of our bedrooms clearly stating that the minibar can be filled on request and there are also tea and coffee making facilities in all of our bedrooms, located descretely beside the dresser.

Finally, I would urge you, wherever you stay in future, to make any problems you encounter known, as in most cases, they can be rectified with little or no inconvenience to you the guest. I hope that when you return to Kilkenny you might give us the opportunity here to extend you every courtesy and make up to you the inconvenience caused. Please contact me personally if I can be of any assistance in the future.