“35 Min To Serve Asian Style Stir Fry”
Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

After arriving at 14.50 on the 7th April 2013 and being hungry decided to use voucher that my parents had given me and 15.30 food finally arrived. I ordered Asian Style Peanut Coated Chicken Stir Fry....Honestly Uncle Bens does better flavour all I got was 3 pieces of coated chicken and the rest was just full of noodles. I would not recommend the bar food and will not be back. The price of the main course was 11.90 but for what I got I would not class it as good food although edible it would not be anything but 2 stars if based on quality.

This review is just for the bar food and does not represent Hotel Kilkenny as a Hotel - The restaurant in the bar was not listed on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Fusiondancers
Hotekilkenny, General Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. All our dishes are freshly cooked upon order. As per your review, you arrived at 14.50, and had your dish served at 15.30. Taking into account your order must be taken, after you have also read menus etc… I would not consider the time scale to be excessive. The dish contains all fresh ingredients, and we must ensure everything this cooked correctly. This is a very popular dish and I am sincerely disappointed that it was not to your liking, I have passed your comments on to our kitchen team.

_________________________________________________________________________
We employ a team of 150 dedicated people who are focused on delivering great customer service. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback as this is what we use to ensure our service and standards constantly improve through our customer care and service review programs. Each member of our Team is aware off all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kilkenny

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed one night here in February. Enjoyable stay. Polite and attentive staff. Rooms generally clean and nice decor. Good value. The locations not amazing as it's away from the main town, but depends what you need to stay for.

Would return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great review, the staff are always trilled to get such positive feed back, and we are very proud to be able to pass it on to them. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2013

First things first, the booking in staff were very courteous and efficient and the room itself was very spacious, clean and well decorated. What let it down were the staff connected to the bar and the restaurant.

First day of our visit’s breakfast was on the day that the clocks went forward and (silly us) we arrived at what was actually 11:00 rather than the 10:00 we thought. There was an Asian man called Khumar (i think) that rudely looked at us as we entered, made eye contact, then turned to a girl that was clearing away and said "no more breakfasts" and then turned away without a second glance. The girl did try and say it in a more friendly and service orientated way, we accepted that and were grateful when she suggested that we may be able to get some toast and a cup of tea from the bar area (we did not bother in the end).
Next event was the following evening when we decided, rather than go out, we would try the bar for a bite to eat. We ordered a starter and two mains. The Young man serving us was quite rude, breaking off from serving me at one point to serve someone else that came up for a drinks order. When the food arrived, it all arrived at once. I asked that all but the starter be sent back, the lad bringing it tried to argue with me, which i was very unhappy with telling me it was not ordered as a starter and we should just accept it as it was. Anyway, the food was virtually inedible and we could not actually finish it. We had also noted that the bar was absolutely rammed solid with families with kids and had enquired (at 8:55) if the children were allowed in the bar after nine and were told, quite definitely, no. They were pretty much all still there at 10:30 when we left.
Final straw was having to queue the final morning for breakfast and , despite being told it would be a five minute wait, after 15 minutes and watching larger groups of people being allowed in before us that had arrived after us, i complained and was told "we have no places for just two people", at which point some manager type intervened and we were told we would be found a space. We were then led into the breakfast area and our friend Khumar was asked to show us to our table. He walked us half way there and pointed and said "there!" and walked away.
Looking around we noted that all the tables seemed to be for four people, and there were a number that were empty. Had we not complained, I wonder exactly how long we would have waited?

So, a nice hotel, good rooms (though we had a double and a single bed clearly pushed together to try and make it a large king size and the single was lower than the others, thus creating an uncomfortable lump in the bed), terrible service and awful food ruined our romantic break. Cannot recommend for anyone but families with low expectations of service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terryfandorla

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Hotel Kilkenny. I have discussed this at length with our management team, kitchen team and the members of staff you have mentioned. I was disappointed and surprised by the content regarding staff as I sincerely believe we have a dedicated and friendly team. I have ensured that you feed back has been communicated to the staff. We value any feed back we receive and I appreciate the time you took to communicate it.

Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Not the best location if you want to walk aroud town - it's located near a main road a bit outside of the city. Got a large room with a balcony. Good sleeping comfort. Too bad the cleaning wasn't the best - long hair had been left in the bath tub, papers and an old baloon (!) was laying on the floor. The breakfast was good, you placed your order by the table. Staff was okey.

• Stayed: March 2013
Hotekilkenny, General Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Hotel Kilkenny. I have discussed this at length with our accommodation team, and my sincerest apologies, this is certainly out of the ordinary.
I’m glad your enjoyed the room and breakfast, and I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Just stayed at hotel Kilkenny. Not a 4 star at all. Heating not working in room no one really bothered until we had gone to reception twice. Offered to move us about 10pm when kids were sleeping. Breakfast room fully booked put in over flow room. Rooms very basic and no shower cubicle just bath with curtain. Defo not 4star. Would not recommend at all

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pantani66

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Hotel Kilkenny. I have discussed this at length with my management team, I believe your request for additional heating was carried out by the manager on duty, who also turned the radiator on for you. My sincerest apologies if this was not rectified quickly enough for you, we would also offer an alternative room to a guest (subject to availability) as standard practice if a guest was unsatisfied with their accommodation. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Well located though difficult to find its entrance in the dark of night, Hotel Kilkenny is an ideal base from which to tour the city and county of Kilkenny. I booked through a discount website and got a good price; the room was perfectly adequate though a bit of a trek from reception and the restaurant. I opted for room service...a mistake! My toasted sandwich had well passed its best by the time it arrived to my room-20 euro for a toasted special and pint of beer, including a 5 euro service charge was very poor value for money. Breakfast the following morning was good-a well stocked buffet of various cereals, fruits, yogurts and juices and a good variety of hot options from the menu. Will I go back? Probably, but next time I'll book directly with the hotel

Room Tip: Not in the basement, overlooking the pool!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I have brought your comments to the attention of our restaurant and kitchen team, and thank you for bringing this to my attention. We value all customer feed back. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay over all and I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just back from our 1st overnight stay at Hotel Kilkenny. I had contacted the hotel directly and got a good rate from Ciara for an over night stay with B&B + 3 course Dinner. It was for a special occasion and we got an upgrade to a Deluxe Room. It was a bitterly cold day, on entering the foyer we were greeted by the heat, it was just gorgeous. I commented on same to the girl at reception (no name tag) she didn't engage in my comment, I felt she was a little frosty. I said I wished to check in, she said the room wasn't ready as they had been fully booked the night before. I said I had rang ahead and spoken to accommodation and was told our room would be ready at 12.30p.m. (The hotel is offering 12.00 p.m. check in as shown in Discover Ireland brochure). She wasn't impressed that she had to ring them to check to confirm. I just felt we didn't get a welcome and that she didn't engage with us. We were given room 333, it was the very same as on the website. The heating was on full belt which was great. Nice soft carpet, gorgeous lamps, huge pictures and mirrors. Very comfortable large bed with white linen. Lovely bathroom, soft towels, toiletries were ok. Tea/coffee & biscuits always great, bottle of water & tray of apples are a nice touch.
We booked dinner for 6.30 p.m. and were first into the dining room. It's a nice room with plenty of space between the tables which is good when you're not on top of one another. We were greeted by Jack, what a welcome. He was so pleasant, service with a smile, he was helpful, attentive and professional a credit to the hotel. The hot bread rolls especially the cheese ones are delicious. The service was very good, my husband had the chicken satay skewers which he enjoyed, I had the goats cheese which I didn't like. We both had the grill which was a huge serving and went down well. Breakfast had the usual self service bits with the full irish freshly cooked and delivered to your table which is a great touch, especially when you like crispy rashers!!
On checking out and paying the bill I was asked for €160, I said sorry I don't think so. It should have been €100 as our package included dinner.
I would have no problem recommending the hotel and would hope to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Im delighted your overall experience was positive, and I have passed this feed back directly to staff. I have also discussed your comments regarding check in with our front office manager, and I genuinly appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I do hope you will visit us again.