“A nice modern hotel”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Cork, Ireland
“A nice modern hotel”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed for Sunday night B&B.
I felt some dread when I realised our room was on the floor below reception, I needn't have worried, it was a lovely bright and clean room.
The bar was lively as the "Cats" were playing on T.V.
I was delighted to see coeliac friendly beer behind the bar! We headed out for the day and returned around 10pm, there were two guys playing guitars and singing who were really good..
Breakfast was the best gluten free breakfast I have ever had in any hotel in any country!! I text the manager to let him know...praise where praise is due.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Eileen A
Dear Guest,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us... thank you for the kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future.

_________________________________________________________________________
We employ a team of 150 dedicated people who are focused on delivering great customer service. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback as this is what we use to ensure our service and standards constantly improve through our customer care and service review programs. Each member of our Team is aware off all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Greystones, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Extremely enjoyable family week-end celebration. The entire staff were friendly and welcoming and service was second to none. A return visit is on the cards and we would recommend Hotel Kilkenny ,we found the experience very family friendly. Thank you.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Pat K
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I will pass your kind comments onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I wasn't impressed with this place..At All.. When checking in there was a woman in front of me who asked some questions and the girl checking her in acted like she couldn't believe this woman was asking anything. She rolled her eyes and smirked and all I could think was--is she a student or something..wow she's snotty. The rooms were ok. The furniture needs some updating. I'm guessing they think the stuff was somehow antique chic but....nl. We ate at the hotel and although the food was fine--the service was less than. Took forever to get the food and to get the waiter's attention so we could pay. Doubt I'd stay here again until they teach their front desk some manners.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank penneyb
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read your review and the service that you received. Should you like to discuss this in further detail please do not hesitate in making contact with me over the next few days.
experience@hotelkilkenny.ie

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I took my boyfriend to Hotel Kilkenny for his birthday over the Easter weekend and it was way beyond our expectations! We booked a deluxe room and it a really gorgeous and luxurious room. The gift of a huge Lily O'Brien's Easter egg in our room was a very thoughtful touch too. The staff were awesome and the leisure centre was a lovely way to relax. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe double rooms. There is a bath and an enormous bed.
2 Thank Hanbanana
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review & your kind comments. I will pass it onto the team here. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Dublin,Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night over the Easter holidays. Although I was aware that arriving at 12.30pm for check in was early I was still very surprised to find that our room wouldn't be ready until 4pm, which apparently is the standard check in time here!
The hotel itself, while classed as a 4 star, lacks in class and atmosphere when compared to some other similarly rated hotels and the rather dour staff at the front desk didn't provide much cheer either.
The room was big enough but two single beds joined together to form a double, for me, is not 4 star quality. Also the shower in the bath was a bit of a throwback to old times, when even a basic Ibis hotel has a walk in shower these days. No air conditioning but the radiator did work.
The TV was small and the remote only partially worked, but what sealed it for me was the dreadful view from our room, overlooking a disused (and untidy) yard at the rear of the hotel, and worst of all, the incredibly thin walls. I was unable to have a decent night's sleep due to the fact that the people in the next room decided to talk until 4am. Not party, mind, just talking, but the walls are so thin that we might as well have been in the room with them, forcing me to knock on the wall to eventually shut them up.
Breakfast however was very good, but the amount of signs posted around the hotel informing you of the best times to attend breakfast were a little off putting.
Ultimately a disappointing venue.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of view don't get a rear facing room.
1 Thank pw46
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I can see that you were not happy with some aspects of your stay with us and for this I am very sorry. I will check every detail that you have mentioned and ensure that all Heads of Departments are made aware of your comments and we will ensure that everything is rectified as soon as possible.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in hotel Kilenny over the Easter with our 3 young children and most of the stay was nice but could have easily gone down hill with the mess up at check in. We had arrived aroud one o,clock knowing that official check in was not till four. At this stage reception took my number and said they would ring when the room was ready, the call never came and so we returned close to four to be greated by a very rude person at reception who seemed more interested in talking to others than dealing with our room which was ready but we were never infiored off. Our room was nice and clean but the bathroom could do with a bit of attention for a 4 star hotel. Breakfast was lovely and the leisure center was very nice to as was the nice touch of the Easter egg . We will probaly not return as four o,clock is to late for a check in with a young family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wolstan321
Hotekilkenny, General Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review, I have discussed your comments with our team, and appreciate you bringing them to our attention and we are considering them all carefully. I have personally spoken to our front office team about your comments and they apologise profusely for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks again for your review and please don't hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss.

Kind regards
David Byrne

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hotel Kilkenny. We booked this hotel out of convenience as we were attending a wedding there.
Check in was very smooth and the lady on the front desk was very welcoming. However I was very disappointed with our room. We upgraded to Delux as a treat and I wish we had just opted for standard. My brother had a standard room and although it was smaller it appeared more modern with nicer furnishings! We had a ground floor room and the first thing I noticed when we entered it, was that there was no blind/voile on the patio window. The windows were dressed in dark silver black out curtains which meant you either had to be ok with an open view through your window or leave your curtains shut for the duration. I went to the reception to ask for a different room and was offered one on another floor but all the windows are dressed the same, even standard rooms so we decided to stay put. After having a gardener strim right outside our window we opted to leave our curtains closed for the duration of our stay. Not ideal as this made our room dull but i''m not an exhibitionist and conscious of security too! Just staying for 2 night made this bearable. Hotel Kilkenny why are there no blinds/voiles on the windows ???
Our Delux room was furnished in cream furniture that was painted with silver random brush strokes everywhere. Not sure what look they were going for here as it looked awful. One of our bedside cabinets was heavily scratched too. My brother in standard however had lovely white furniture with black marble tops!
The towels were sub standard, hard and very well used.
The bed was really comfy but I feel a selection of firm and soft pillows is the way to go. We had firm.
Another big concern for me was that standing at 5ft 4 I could not see out of the security key hole in the door. It was too high! Also there is no key chain so you have to take your chance on who you open the door to. Hotel Kilkenny if you read this review and do one thing, please address this issue !!!
Now i'm not going to gripe all the way through my review!
We ordered breakfast in our room (when I found a pen to fill in the form as none in the room!) and it arrived on time and was lovely. Breakfast in the restaurant was good too and I was able to get fruit and yoghurt which wasn't an option on the room service menu.
The gym/pool facilities were very good.
The staff at this hotel are all very friendly and did help to rescue the weekend.
Overall probably would not return unless these issues were addressed, in particular window dressings and door security.

Dear Guest