“An enjoyable break with my grandchildren”
Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
dublin
“An enjoyable break with my grandchildren”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Kilkenny with my three grandchildren for four nights, From the moment we arrived to the minute we left the hotel staff looked after us. As I was on my own with the children the staff just made it easy for me.
I just want to say a big thank you to Olivia in the leisure centre who greeted us every morning and looked after us everyday as the children would not leave the fantastic pool.
The excellent service we received from Ciaran and Mary in the Bar who fed us everyday. The food was great.
Thanks to Claire and all the girls on reception who always greeted us with a friendly smile and was so informative.

Thanks again for making our stay very relaxing and enjoyable.
Margaret
Dublin

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mibbrien
Hotekilkenny, General Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Margaret

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Fantastic to hear the team looked after you so well, we are very proud of all of them. I hope you will visit us with your grand kids again soon!

Best regards

dbyrne@hotelkilkenny.ie
_________________________________________________________________________
We employ a team of 150 dedicated people who are focused on delivering great customer service. We actively seek and welcome genuine, constructive feedback as this is what we use to ensure our service and standards constantly improve through our customer care and service review programs. Each member of our Team is aware off all genuine posts on TripAdvisor and we are proud to say that we do not in any way advocate or engage in posting fake reviews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Cork
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just back from a 2 day mid week break. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast really good with some very nice choices if you don't fancy the full Irish. Bar a bit bland. Pool very nice, good hot jacuzzi, steam room a bit tatty though with a missing vent cover, broken light etc.
We had a twin room very pretty with pink chairs etc but not very spacious.. Maid service was excellent. Hotel is adequate but not exceptional although in saying that I would return.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking garden which was lovely, odd number rooms on 3rd floor, whereas even numbe...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank yugscork
Dear Guest

I'm delighted our team looked after you for your stay and I will pass your great feed back onto the team. I have also passed your comments onto the leisure center and maintenance teams and thank you for bringing these to my attention.

County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed in hotel Kilkenny with my boyfriend for two nights at the end of June. I changed our room to a deluxe and i was very disappointed the only thing i could see different from a standard room was we had dressing gowns and slippers! I stayed in a good few hotels in Kilkenny for a lot cheaper one of the rooms was a suite and it was cheaper.. All the staff were lovely in the reception and bar. I love kilkenny and will be back but not in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm disappointed our rooms did not meet your expectations. We have extensively renovated all our rooms and have further renovations planned. Hopefully you will afford us the opportunity to provide a great stay in the future

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Kilkenny for the two nights this summer.

We arrived at the train station on the Friday evening and got a taxi to the hotel for around €6.

The hotel lobby was very pretty but we weren't greeted in any sort of welcoming way at reception which is shame. It was a bit like checking out at a supermarket. Pay and go away, please.

Our bedroom was furnished beautifully in whites and pinks with a small table, two arm chairs, a large desk, two bed side tables, a single bed and the most comfortable double bed ever.

The bathroom was absolutely horrible. A large wet room with a poor shower. There was no hairdryer in the room.

The WiFi is grand if you are there on a holiday and want to do the odd browse on your phone or tablet but if you want to do work I would suggest bringing an Ethernet cable.

We walked in to town later that night. Google maps say that it is a twenty minute walk but it felt much shorter. You can easily and enjoyably walk in and out of town.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious with a choice of juices, cereals, breads, full Irish and other choices.

My boyfriend proposed to me on the Saturday at Kilkenny Castle! It was a wonderful surprise. We bought some Champagne to celebrate but unfortunately the hotel wasn't able to accommodate us with an ice bucket and glasses.

On Saturday, an ATM gave me a €100 note. I wanted to ask the receptionist if it would be possible for her to change it, although understanding perfectly that it might not be possible. I was the only person waiting to be dealt with. The receptionist stayed looking at her computer and said “yes?” “Do you think it would be possible to change a €100 in to smaller notes?” “*still not looking up* check the bar.” Awful.

Kilkenny has a special place in our hearts and we will return many times but not to Hotel Kilkenny. The hotel is decent but I feel like it takes its guests for granted. It’s not that I expect a red carpet or anything but I just don’t think it is OK for reception staff to not look up from their computers to greet you or answer a query.

A hotel stay is not just about an event or business - it’s a holiday. And while nothing happened to ruin our holiday - it was amazing! They didn't have anything to entice us to return and there is enough competition to not have to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spidy_12
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Kilkenny. I'm very disappointed you did not receive the warm welcome from our team which we wish to extend to all our guests. I have discussed your comments with the front office team, especially as this is quite out of the ordinary. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We would love the opportunity to provide the stay we expect for for all our guests. Should you visit Kilkenny again please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. On check in we were immediately given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe double room with a balcony by the lovely Clare on reception.
The room we stayed in was beautiful and v spacious. The food in both the bar and restaurant was of a high standard ( though the portion of chips we received in the bar was tiny). The leisure facilities were fantastic, v clean and lots of equipment.
Overall our stay was a very enjoyable one and we could not recommend this hotel highly enough. Special mention must go to all the staff who are all so friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guests

Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm delighted we could make your stay a little more special with the upgrade. I will pass your remarks on to the chef, but great to hear you were happy overall.

Hope to see you both again soon

Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We attended a wedding of dear friends at Hotel Kilkenny on 31st May & had a wonderful day! In the evening, just before the meal, I lost my purse & went to reception to see if anyone had handed it in. I met with a lovely young girl called Lorraine. She was most helpful & promised she would do everything she could to help me find it. I appreciated this but felt I wouldn't see my purse again. About 45 mins later, "Lorraine" found me & told me the purse had been located under a mirror in the Ladies restroom. She gave it back to me & asked that I see if it was intact...I did so & was delighted to see that everything was inside just as I had left it myself! Thank you so much Lorraine! We had such a good day! It would have been very disappointing to have lost my personal belongings... Thank you Lorraine for your very personal & remarkable customer service!!!! Thank you Hotel Kilkenny for a fantastic welcome, meal, hospitality, accommodation, breakfast (late!!) !! Very much enjoyed our stay with you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I'm delighted you enjoyed the wedding and your stay at Hotel Kilkenny. Great to hear Lorraine retrieved your purse and I will pass on your comments to her. We are very proud of the team, and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel was very nice. Rooms were spacious and food was good. Laura at the front desk was great. Offered to find out information for us right away so we could make plans for that evening and the next day. Will return for sure

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Jackie K
Dear Jackie

Many thanks for the great review, we are always grateful for any feed back. I will pass on your comments to Laura and the front office team.

I hope we see you again soon