“Would be last of my list in Kilkenny”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Clonmel, Ireland
“Would be last of my list in Kilkenny”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

As Kilkenny is one of my favourite cities, I have stayed in most of the more popular hotels in the area, but this was my first time in The Hotel Kilkenny...and it will be the last.
A group of us booked here for New Years Eve for 1 night. It would not have been my first choice, but as we booked rather late this was the only 4 star left. And now I can understand why......

Room:
We were fortunate enough to get an upgrade to a deluxe superior room, and from reading other reviews I was glad we did. The room itself was lovely, comfy bed, clean bathroom....all that you would expect in a standard 4 star. The view from the balcony was awful.....looking into a building site..but the balcony itself was a nice touch. My main gripe was the smell on the corridor..... We booked a non smoking room, which we got, but the minute you got out of the lift or opened the door of your room you got a disgusting smell of stale smoke that lingered throughout the whole of our stay. I am a smoker myself, but always prefer to stay in non smoking rooms, and just smoke outside the hotel, but this was disgusting and whilst walking to and from the room you felt like you were in a really dodgy Ibis airport hotel....not a plush 4 star country hotel....

Staff/Service:
We checked into the hotel in the late afternoon, and as it was New Years Eve, we decided to have food in the hotel before we got ready to head out for the night. When we got to the restaurant there were no tables available as they were all taken up by people drinking and kids playing..... From what I could see not many people had food. When we asked for a table to order some food we were told that the gas had gone in the kitchen and that we would not be able to order any hot food, only sandwiches, and that there was over an hour wait !!!!!!!!!!!!! Disgraceful for a 4 star - surely a kitchen in a hotel should have back up for these types of emergenices !!!???? We headed into town where we were lucky enough to get a table and had a lovely meal, in the peace and quiet. Did I mention before about the kids running riot all over the hotel ???? I forgot to mention that when the booking was made, I was advised to book dinner in the hotel as there were not many spaces left, but I am so glad we didn't. We were not advised that there would be lots of children present, so in a way the lack of cooking facilites was a blessing in disguise.

Evening drinks:
We went out in Kilkenny and had a great night, and decided to go back to the hotel at approx. 1:15am to have a couple in the residents bar....... I could not believe it when we got back what we walked into... It was like a Kareoke Night in a dodgy Butlins holiday camp.... There was a DJ playing awful music that only appealed to either children or OAP's... the bar was turned into a make shift dancefloor and once again, the place was full of kids running all over the place...... We had hoped for a nice drink to end off the night, but instead we had drunken parents trying to start arguments with us over taxis, uncontrollable children being let loose, and staff who were too busy to clean or wipe the tables we sat at........
To top it all off, when we went back to our hotel room, there were teenagers drinking and smoking in the corridor (explains the smell of smoke) and we felt intimadated going to our "deluxe superior" rooms......
I mentioned this to the reception staff when we checked out, and the response I got was "Oh, sorry about that"....and that was it !!!
The website, and indeed the reception area, makes you think that this is a sophisticated 4 star luxury hotel with a relaxing feel to it.....the reality is a dodgy 2-3 star hotel...
I won't be back here again and would not recomend it......

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

Upon arrival the Hotel was very impressive, the décor was really nice. However our room was the opposite. Very dark, not much furniture, no bath mat. We booked a family room, my daughter’s bed was a mere camp bed, very hard and lumpy. I don’t know how she managed to sleep easily. There was no thermostat to control the hearing, which I found a little odd. There was mould around the window. Not what you expect from a four star hotel!
We were there with our two children, the restaurant only allowed children on the premises until 7.30pm. This was not mentioned at the time of booking.
Also when we booked the hotel, we had a meal included. However when we went to the restaurant on the first night, were informed that dinner was not included. After much discussion the head waiter did not charge us, however upon our departure we were then faced with a bill for dinner…again!! I informed the supervisor that the package we booked included one evening meal. The supervisor apologised for the mix-up and removed the charge from our bill. It left a bad taste in my mouth I must say, but not as bad as the food served to me in the restaurant!! Please not do not order the fish cakes. I would not have served the dinner to my dog, the presentation was diabolical, and the food was bland and over-cooked. The children’s meals are over-prices, but as you are not near the city you haven’t got much choice if you have children with you. My partner ordered a steak, with a 10euro supplement. I have cooked better

The Active Club – I thought there was a strange smell coming from the pools, the water was very cold/ Also beware that there is a 3euro charge fro swim hats! All these things add up.
Over all I was impressed with the Hotel, and I would not return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Hotekilkenny, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry that while you thought overall the hotel was very nice you didn't have a good time while staying with your family. With regards to your room as I am not aware how you made your reservation I can-not comment on the information you were given. Should you have made your reservation directly with us I am sure all the information you were missing would have been made clear to you.

With regards to the food issues you had - I will certainly take all your comments on board and ensure that they are passed onto our Head Chef who is always very interested in feedback. I will also check with our Restaurant team to see why there was such a mix up with regards to dinner being included in your rate. Your comments on the standard of food and cost of children's meals is not normally negatively commented on in fact both of these issues have receive very positive comments in the past.

Kilkenny Active Club - we have a state of the art filtration system which I can guarantee is the very best and this constantly monitors the temperature of the water and chlorine levels within the pool - and as I am sure people will appreciate we do insist that everyone getting into the pool should wear a hat for hygiene proposes alone and for this reason I will not excuse the €3 charge for a swim hat.
I would invite you to please contact the hotel directly and we can discuss your comments in more detail.
Many thanks and kind regards
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

Stayed in Hotel Kilkenny on last weekend in January and was very impressed. Staff were excellent in particular at Reception and michael in the Bar. Food excellent with good atmosphere in the Hotel bar. Not sure how fast some of the reviewers on this site walk but we took a stroll into town and i would say 7/8 minutes gets you there easily. Will defo return

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotekilkenny, Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to post them to TripAdvisor.

Your comments are appreciated and I am happy to see you had a great time while staying with us at Hotel Kilkenny.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Kind regards
Management Team - Hotel Kilkenny
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

I stayed in Hotel Kilkenny for two nights, on a girly family weekend. I am rather fussy when it comes to staying in hotels and will normally on stay in hotels which have excellent reviews, however as I was going away on a family weekend I could not turning down certain hotels, this hotel was booked for 2 nights b&b including 1 evening meal for 109pp. After I was informed that it was our location for the weekend I got a chance to check it out here and I have to say I was VERY wary of it.
However when we arrived at the hotel I was very impressed by the interior and the communal areas, I thought it was to a very high standard and I could not complain in the slightest about it. Our room was great (and I believe a standard room), the beds were very comfortable and the interior was lovely, there were two armchairs, a flat screen telly, a spacious double and single bed, down lighters in the bathroom, an iron and ironing board, kettle, tea bags etc. The only issue I had with the room was that at night time we did hear some noise from the corrider, not much but still enough to wake me. I found the hotel was very secure with swip access to the corriders where bedrooms were. the staff were exceptionally helpful, we informed them on the Saturday that there would be another person staying us in our room that night and they said that was no problem at all and that she could work away for breakfast with us the next morning and we did not need to worry about paying anything extra for her. The location of the hotel was fine it was around a 5/10 miute walk to the town, it was not along a busy road, however it was in a good area/safe area.
All in all I would definitely stay here again and I would have a very open mind in future when reading some of the reviews.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Dublin1212
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 24 November 2009
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the TripAdvisor Website.

Your comments are honest and factual and as you have mentioned we have a lot of really great facilities at Hotel Kilkenny. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and apologies for the level of noise from other guests during the night. We do have our secuirty team check the the corridors intermittently during the night and should this happen again we would ask that you contact reception by phone and we can deal with the issue straight away.

I would also like to thank you very much for the kind words about the Team at Hotel Kilkenny and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again very soon.
Kind regards
Management Team at Hotel Kilkenny
Oxford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

I am currently staying in Hotel Kilkenny. I stay in hotels all over Ireland at least 5 days a week and always checkout the hotel on their websites before booking. I came across Hotel Kilkenny on a google websearch and decided that from looking at the website that this 4 star hotel looked amazing. Also on reading the Marketing Spiel describing the hotel, i have to say, i was looking forward to arriving. On entering recception, i must say i was impressed, the decor is very chic and classy. However, on entering my room, it was like being transported to a 2 star run down hotel. I could not believe my eyes. The walls inside the door were scuffed and dirty, the bathroom was so grubby, grouting on the bath was mildewed and dirty. The room had an echo because there was such sparse furniture in it. The walls were very poorly painted with chips and bubbling. The beds are basically wooden slats with a mattress on top. I have to say i found the whole place grim and rather depressing. Certainly not what i expected from viewing the website which describes the rooms .....
"Experience wonderful 4 star accommodation in Kilkenny City. Your bedroom at Hotel Kilkenny is a haven of relaxation, style and privacy. All of our 138 bedrooms are superbly fitted to ensure your stay with us is as comfortable as possible. "

And...."The warm and inviting interior of this renowned 4 star property is a mix of fine Italian Marble, feature French Wall Paper and unique pieces of furniture designed specifically for Hotel Kilkenny. This mingled with our warm and friendly service ensures that should you stay with us on business or pleasure your stay will be a memorable one. When staying in Kilkenny why not book the most stylish 4 star accommodation the city has to offer"

Complete Joke!! Have to say the Staff were extreemly helpful and rellocated me to a different room.. Not a deluke but certainly "slightly" better than the first room.. Beware!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank lisabOxford
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
The Four Star Hotel Kilkenny prides itself in quality and customer service. We take all feedback from our customers very seriously and follow up on all comments. We would encourage our customers to speak openly and freely during and prior to their departure to our Management Team. As we have been receiving positive feedback from our Guests it is with great concern that we have received this review – this is the reason we have taken the opportunity to start responding to reviews which have been posted on the Trip advisor website.

In terms of this particular comment I would like to say that maybe the standard of the Bedroom was more a matter of personal taste rather than the bedroom being of a low standard. A comment that we feel was maybe unfair and is something that can damage future guests perception of the Hotel should it not be true. We have also posted some Pictures of this bedroom which we feel will support our comment.

Finally I would like to encourage this customer to contact us directly to discuss in detail your comments as customer follow up is vitally important to our business.
Wexford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel last week for two nights with my boyfriend. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. It's a half hour walk to the town which aint that great when the weather isn't good but if you have a car its fine. Not alot in Kilkenny itself but as far as the hotel goes it was a lovely stay and the breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

Just back from my second stay in Hotel Kilkenny. We have stayed in other properties in the Griffi group and the same standards polite and helpful staff seem to pertain to all of them, from the poor girl who took our many different individual requests at breakfast to the bar staff. Special mention on bar staff has to go to Micheal who variously got music turned down, heating turned up, food for us all, even though we arrived at different times. He even opened our door which had jammed (we got another room after).

We all enjoyed the treatments in the beauty lodge and the hotel is well placed for sight-seeing and shopping.

We were on the "special" dinner menu which had plenty variety and enough tasty food to satisfy all 6 of us.

Only downside was a group of rather loud girls in the corridor on our last night but the staff were full of apologies.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends