“Over Priced - Nothing special about this hotel”
Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
dublin
“Over Priced - Nothing special about this hotel”
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Stayed in this hotel for one night Feb 2010. Room was spacious but bed was very uncomfortable. Room was very clean. Reception were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good too. My real problem with this hotel was the price, in the current economy I think the prices being charged by this hotel are far too high and do not offer anything spectacular for the higher prices they charge in comparison to other hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I stayed in Hotel Kilkenny with my husband, children and extended family for a 60th birthday party. The staff were really helpful and friendly on arrival, the bedroom was immaculate and the bed was really comfortable. I availed of the leisure centre facilities which were first class. We had a lovely meal in the evening which was served by lovely staff and the manager (Kamal) could not have been nicer. Kilkenny town is a short walk from the hotel with many shops and, of course, the Castle. I would definately stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Hotekilkenny, Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am very glad you had a good stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Hotel Kilkenny Management Team
Cork
Reviewed 28 February 2010

this was a great hotel, I will definately be going back

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
wicklow
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Expect very little in the way of service and hospitality if visiting the Hotel Kilkenny, we were treated more as a nuisance rather than valued customers. Morning breakfast trays will still greet you as you reach your bedroom at 4pm. Very restricted meal choices with special offers beware of the desserts! Don't expect apologies for overgharges on bills and if voicing concerns at checkout you will be presented with the bill and a name and address to forward complaint to without being asked what the problems were. Such a shame as we love kilkenny and were really looking forward to our stay. Is this all we can expect from 4 star hotels in Ireland.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2010

As Kilkenny is one of my favourite cities, I have stayed in most of the more popular hotels in the area, but this was my first time in The Hotel Kilkenny...and it will be the last.
A group of us booked here for New Years Eve for 1 night. It would not have been my first choice, but as we booked rather late this was the only 4 star left. And now I can understand why......

Room:
We were fortunate enough to get an upgrade to a deluxe superior room, and from reading other reviews I was glad we did. The room itself was lovely, comfy bed, clean bathroom....all that you would expect in a standard 4 star. The view from the balcony was awful.....looking into a building site..but the balcony itself was a nice touch. My main gripe was the smell on the corridor..... We booked a non smoking room, which we got, but the minute you got out of the lift or opened the door of your room you got a disgusting smell of stale smoke that lingered throughout the whole of our stay. I am a smoker myself, but always prefer to stay in non smoking rooms, and just smoke outside the hotel, but this was disgusting and whilst walking to and from the room you felt like you were in a really dodgy Ibis airport hotel....not a plush 4 star country hotel....

Staff/Service:
We checked into the hotel in the late afternoon, and as it was New Years Eve, we decided to have food in the hotel before we got ready to head out for the night. When we got to the restaurant there were no tables available as they were all taken up by people drinking and kids playing..... From what I could see not many people had food. When we asked for a table to order some food we were told that the gas had gone in the kitchen and that we would not be able to order any hot food, only sandwiches, and that there was over an hour wait !!!!!!!!!!!!! Disgraceful for a 4 star - surely a kitchen in a hotel should have back up for these types of emergenices !!!???? We headed into town where we were lucky enough to get a table and had a lovely meal, in the peace and quiet. Did I mention before about the kids running riot all over the hotel ???? I forgot to mention that when the booking was made, I was advised to book dinner in the hotel as there were not many spaces left, but I am so glad we didn't. We were not advised that there would be lots of children present, so in a way the lack of cooking facilites was a blessing in disguise.

Evening drinks:
We went out in Kilkenny and had a great night, and decided to go back to the hotel at approx. 1:15am to have a couple in the residents bar....... I could not believe it when we got back what we walked into... It was like a Kareoke Night in a dodgy Butlins holiday camp.... There was a DJ playing awful music that only appealed to either children or OAP's... the bar was turned into a make shift dancefloor and once again, the place was full of kids running all over the place...... We had hoped for a nice drink to end off the night, but instead we had drunken parents trying to start arguments with us over taxis, uncontrollable children being let loose, and staff who were too busy to clean or wipe the tables we sat at........
To top it all off, when we went back to our hotel room, there were teenagers drinking and smoking in the corridor (explains the smell of smoke) and we felt intimadated going to our "deluxe superior" rooms......
I mentioned this to the reception staff when we checked out, and the response I got was "Oh, sorry about that"....and that was it !!!
The website, and indeed the reception area, makes you think that this is a sophisticated 4 star luxury hotel with a relaxing feel to it.....the reality is a dodgy 2-3 star hotel...
I won't be back here again and would not recomend it......

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
ireland
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Upon arrival the Hotel was very impressive, the décor was really nice. However our room was the opposite. Very dark, not much furniture, no bath mat. We booked a family room, my daughter’s bed was a mere camp bed, very hard and lumpy. I don’t know how she managed to sleep easily. There was no thermostat to control the hearing, which I found a little odd. There was mould around the window. Not what you expect from a four star hotel!
We were there with our two children, the restaurant only allowed children on the premises until 7.30pm. This was not mentioned at the time of booking.
Also when we booked the hotel, we had a meal included. However when we went to the restaurant on the first night, were informed that dinner was not included. After much discussion the head waiter did not charge us, however upon our departure we were then faced with a bill for dinner…again!! I informed the supervisor that the package we booked included one evening meal. The supervisor apologised for the mix-up and removed the charge from our bill. It left a bad taste in my mouth I must say, but not as bad as the food served to me in the restaurant!! Please not do not order the fish cakes. I would not have served the dinner to my dog, the presentation was diabolical, and the food was bland and over-cooked. The children’s meals are over-prices, but as you are not near the city you haven’t got much choice if you have children with you. My partner ordered a steak, with a 10euro supplement. I have cooked better

The Active Club – I thought there was a strange smell coming from the pools, the water was very cold/ Also beware that there is a 3euro charge fro swim hats! All these things add up.
Over all I was impressed with the Hotel, and I would not return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Hotekilkenny, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry that while you thought overall the hotel was very nice you didn't have a good time while staying with your family. With regards to your room as I am not aware how you made your reservation I can-not comment on the information you were given. Should you have made your reservation directly with us I am sure all the information you were missing would have been made clear to you.

With regards to the food issues you had - I will certainly take all your comments on board and ensure that they are passed onto our Head Chef who is always very interested in feedback. I will also check with our Restaurant team to see why there was such a mix up with regards to dinner being included in your rate. Your comments on the standard of food and cost of children's meals is not normally negatively commented on in fact both of these issues have receive very positive comments in the past.

Kilkenny Active Club - we have a state of the art filtration system which I can guarantee is the very best and this constantly monitors the temperature of the water and chlorine levels within the pool - and as I am sure people will appreciate we do insist that everyone getting into the pool should wear a hat for hygiene proposes alone and for this reason I will not excuse the €3 charge for a swim hat.
I would invite you to please contact the hotel directly and we can discuss your comments in more detail.
Many thanks and kind regards
Dublin
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Stayed in Hotel Kilkenny on last weekend in January and was very impressed. Staff were excellent in particular at Reception and michael in the Bar. Food excellent with good atmosphere in the Hotel bar. Not sure how fast some of the reviewers on this site walk but we took a stroll into town and i would say 7/8 minutes gets you there easily. Will defo return

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotekilkenny, Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to post them to TripAdvisor.

Your comments are appreciated and I am happy to see you had a great time while staying with us at Hotel Kilkenny.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Kind regards