“Beautiful time in Kilkenny”
Review of Hotel Kilkenny

Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
cork
“Beautiful time in Kilkenny”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My wife and I stayed in Hotel Kilkenny and had a wonderful time.
The staff were excellent and we got a beautiful room very spacious and comfortable.
The food was beautiful with excellent service

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Cork2008
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Went on AXA leisure weekend break and we enjoyed our time in Kilkenny. Staff very friendly and helpful. The "Taste"restaurant was very pleasant overall but we did havea few difficulties with our dinner; well-done steaks a little rare and a bit tough!! The staff did look after the complaint very well and with the least amount of fuss. Desserts were unusual and if you are looking for something plain- not on the menu.

Overall the value in the restaurant was good with a three course meal and tea/coffee only €25.
On the down side the lift lobby on floor three was dirty on arrival and remained so for 24 hours. The noise level at night (weddings on) was very bad on our second night with interuptions to our sleep until 03.30am
Very nice leisure club

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your positive review and kind comments about the team here at Hotel Kilkenny. We am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and experienced some of out great facilities.
I would like to apologise for the lift lobby area on the 3rd floor unfortunately we had to carry out some emergency maintenance work last week on this level and so the level of cleanliness was not not to our regular standard. However we have completed the work and everything is back to normal now. While it is annoying that your steaks were not perfect I am glad that our team dealt with you professionally and our Head Chef is now aware of your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Kilkenny in the very near future.
Hotel Kilkenny
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2010

A lovely stay was had by me and my fiance. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good craic to be had. Food was amazing. Leisure center was also nice. The most plush but relaxing and welcoming hotel we've ever been to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The hotel was clean, comfortable and excellently equipped. The pool, sauna, steamroom and changing rooms were all well kept and clean. The children's pool was away from the swimming lane so it was very relaxing. The staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to be efficient and make us feel welcome. The only complaint sI could make was the breakfast was quite a long wait. There was a sign in the lifts advising of waiting times so we went down for breakfast early and yet we were waiting quite a long time. It was about a 15 minute wait on the second morning to even order our food not to mind the wait then for the food to arrive. Also the noise from the bedrooms was quite loud, both mornings we were awoken early. I think the hotel could really do with better sound insulation as we could hear an argument in the room next to us at half three as if it was in our room. All in all this hotel lived up to our expectations, it was very good value and the staff made our stay very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The hotel kilkenny was better than I had even expected. We got a very good rate and stayed in one of the deluxe rooms. It was heaven. The room was spotless, nice and big and very comfortable. The man on reception, I think his name is Adam, was lovely and gave us a very warm welcome. He also answered my irritating questions about the hotel and Kilkenny city. The breakfast is quite nice, though the pancakes were slightly rubbery. There's a great selection of pastries and cereals instead though as well as fruit and other cooked options. The only negative is that the room got quite warm at night so we had to leave the balcony door open a bit which meant we could hear the road. Otherwise we're having a great stay, in fact I'm writing the review from the room now.

ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Just back from a three night stay at this hotel. Travelled with my elderly mother. Location of this hotel is excellent when coming from the south of Ireland. It was easy to find .
Good points as follows:
Excellent greeting on arrival from Adam who has a great personality and is cheeful with all guests and gives a good first impression.
All staff were equally lovely especially those in the restaurant and bar where we had breakfast on two mornings (in peace and quiet) as the restaurant was full - everyone wants to eat late. A special mention also to a lovely girl, Jackie, who is a credit to the hotel and immediately came to my assistance when she saw me struggling with luggage and wheelchair.
Room was average. Didn't like the fact that there was no door on the wardrobe so all the clutter of clothes shoes etc is visible in the room at all times.
Bathroom is tiny, though it was spotlessly clean.
Main gripe in the room was the lack of airconditioning. It was hot in that room. Mentioned this at reception and 2 desk fans were brought to the room although we didn't get much respite from heat as the electrical socket was at the other side of room from beds and the fan was totally ineffectual as it was 12 feet away from our faces.
There is free broadband in the room . I got a lead from reception. There is WI-fi available in the public areas . I tried this in the patio outside the bar but it didn't work there.
Problem with noise at night. We were situated on the same floor as the reception. The hotel was completely full during our stay with a lot of wedding guests and families on their holidays. Unfortunately some inconsiderate or simply ignorant parents thought it was okay to allow their children to play racing games along the corridor all night while they drank in the bar. No answer from reception while I called to complain on two occasions. The last juvenile offender went to bed at 12.45 am and temporary peace ensued until the night club brigade came home at 3.30 am laughing and slamming doors. Finally at 7 am we had the coach tour patrons who headed to the earliest breakfast while enthusiastically slamming the bedroom doors Just turned over to catch the last 40 winks or so but had to answer the door at 8.45am to maid who wanted to make up the room. I hope she wasn't too put out at my reply.!

Overall we greatly enjoyed our stay. Kilkenny is a lovely city and we were very lucky with the warm weather. Used the discount card available at reception to get 20% off pottery at Nicholas Mosse Pottery in Bennetsbridge down the road.
Great time, just glad to get home for a good nights sleep

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Dear Guest,
I appreciate your comments with regards to your recent stay with us at Hotel Kilkenny.
Unfortunately while every effort is made to ensure that our guests both young and the not so young are quiet late into the evenings this sometimes proves to be a next to impossible task. We have notices on each corridor and also we would have Night Staff walking the building each evening and night to try and keep noise to a minimum sometimes this proves to be very difficult. I have passed your comments onto our Accommodation Team with regards to you being disturbed early in the morning and this I can assure you will not happen again.
I would like to thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and I do hope that should you decided to return to Kilkenny in the future you will consider Hotel Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny - Front Office Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Myslef and my wife visited as part of a wedding party over the bank holiday weekend. Arriving Friday at 12 and leaving monday at 12, along with 2/3s of the wedding guests. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready but we weren't offered anywhere to store our luggage, except in the hallway - yeah like thats going to happen.
Went to the bar for a bit of pub grub after the journey, moved seats due to the air vents above us being absolutely thick with dust and dirt. Went into a little alcove behind the bar to find a dirty carpet and dusty furniture. Food was then served to us in chipped crockery.
We checked into our room, to find red stains on the bed linen. We complained and got upgraded. The manager apologised, promised to get the issues resolved - I actually wrote a letter to the Manager on Duty - and was generally very nice.
The staff were the best feature of the hotel. Everyone, greeted us in the morning, noon and evening and were always bright and pleasant, with the exception of one of the bar staff, grumpy young lad in his 20s.
The bridal party ordered room service at 12, they were due for the chapel at 1:30. The food arrived at 1.
On Sunday morning the brides family had the lights turned out on them whilst in the bar having their breakfast, they were shown there as the restaurant was full.
On Sunday afternoon I was back in the bar and found the vents the manger swore he would get cleaned were still filthy.

Dear Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. While I am concerned with some of your comments I would like to say thank you for your positive comments with regards to the Team at Hotel Kilkenny. Customer Service is something we strive to achieve every day and sometimes we fall short of our
expectations.
I would like to say that the Manager on Duty cleaned the vents that you directed him to knowing that the remainder of the vents had to be cleaned also however due to the fact that the bar was busy he decided to just clean the vents that you directed him to and leave the remaining vents until the bar was a little less busy. Unfortunately we had some emergency maintenance work carried out on the previous days and so this was the reason for the vents not being clean in the first instance.
With regards to the details about your room I am glad you received an upgrade and that your new room was to your liking, the comments with regards to your original room have been passed onto our Accommodation Team and are being dealt with.
Your comments about the "Grumpy" member of staff have in fact been taken very seriously and have been dealt with by our Human Resources Department.
Hotel Kilkenny - Front Office Manager