“A very disappointing stay.”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This was a Saturday night stay for a family celebration. On entering our room what was most noticeable was the heat. There was a fan running and no way to open the windows (one was slightly ajar but couldn't go any further). I checked the other 4 rooms taken by my extended family on the same floor, all were cooler and none had fans in operation. Ours seemed to be a heat trap. As we had our baby with us I was worried. I rang reception and asked if we could change room but was told that there were none available. I asked if a manager could come up to see (feel) what I was describing. No-one arrived but a second fan was delivered. The room remained uncomfortably warm. Despite several visits to reception my concerns were ignored. We brought the baby's cot out to my parents' room and we slept badly that night. This room should not have been offered as a family room. The housekeeping staff who put in the first fan would have been aware of the heavy heat and lack of fresh air in the room. I do think that family rooms should be on the ground floor and then you would be able to open a window sufficiently. The people I spoke to were dismissive of my complaint and the promised contact from the hotel did not materialise. As dinner in the restaurant was uninspiring and breakfast was only average I would not want to visit this hotel again.

5  Thank DCW011
adermody, Director of Sales at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear DCWO11,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we really appreiate your feedback.

I was very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience at the Newpark.

I have called a meeting to disucss your issues with all of the department heads to ensure that this does not happen again at the Newpark Hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel was way too hot and air circulation was at a minimum. Our room was average but the extractor fan in the bathroom was broken. I called reception on three occasions to report it and each time was like it was the first time they had heard the complaint and they did nothing about it for the duration of our stay. On our third day housekeeping asked if we wanted our room clean? This shouldn't be a question asked to guests. Surely this is a service that is provided without question. One morning at breakfast my father asked for kiwis. After about ten minutes a nice waiter came back saying he was really sorry but they had no more. About twenty minutes later when I was leaving there was a whole bowl of kiwis in the buffet. At dinner one night,the drinks consumed by my father and brother in law were split between our three rooms. I was to find this out later at check out. This is a disgrageful policy. Why not have the guest sign for drinks if the wait staff are unsure which room the drink buying guest is from. While most of the staff were pleasant (but not at all efficient) and the food was tasty (but way over priced) the hotel lacked atmosphere and was very impersonal. The kids club was not a hit either. Making kids watch a movie instead of playing games with them is a cop out. Nice touch with the newspaper in the morning but to not give it on the morning of check-out makes me wonder how much thought goes into your marketing? Me, my sister's family and my parents all left thinking cheap cheap cheap....... These little savings are not worth the impression you are leaving on the customer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
adermody, Director of Sales at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Dear Caitriona,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it was a pleasure to have you and your family stay at the Newpark Hotel. However I am dissapoined to hear that you were not happy with your experience at the Newpark Hotel.
I have taken all of your observations on board and I have scheduled a meeting with all of the department heads where all the issues which you highlighted will discussed in order to rectify them and ensure there is no reoccurance of the same.

We would love to welcome you back with your family, if you decide to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Once again thank you for takeing the time to write this review as it is only by recieving constructive feedback that we can impove the service here at the Newpark Hotel.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We met with family for afternoon lunch. The staff were friendly, food was tasty and well presented. However, my mother is a wheelchair user. On entering the hotel, the first door opened outwards and unfortunately the second inside door opened outwards also. This meant that we had to move the wheelchair back outside the first door to gain entry. It was impossible for me to hold two doors opened at once and therefore I had to ask another guest for assistance. This inconvenience was embarrassing for mother who suggested that she would not be interested in visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
adermody, Director of Sales at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear Family0o6,

Thank you for takeing the time to write a review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our food and service. However I am dissapointed to hear that you did not feel that our infrastructure was suitable for your needs. Customer satisfaction is one of the highest priorities here in Newpark Hotel and it is only by receiving constructive customer comments that we will ensure that our guests receive first class service and facilities at all times.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Very comfortable stay at Newpark Hotel. Quiet at night, good buzz in the bar. Food very tasty, well presented. Staff very friendly and helpfull. Loved the outdoor jacussi and relaxation room.

1  Thank maryd62
adermody, Director of Sales at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear Maryd62,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we appreiate your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at the Newpark Hotel.

I look forwared to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

From arrival to departure the atmosphere, service and product were exceedingly good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Teddybozo,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your event here at the Newpark Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

We really appreiate you takeing the time to write a review as it is only by recieving feedback that we can improve on the Newpark Experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed for five nights in the Newpark Kilkenny in August 2011. We had the time of our lives, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We were treated like we were the only guests and pampered from start to finish. The kids club allowed my husband and I a break and to spend some quality time together without the kids. Food was excellent and the accommodation superb.We will be returning if we can get a reservation!

1  Thank mbren7
Reviewed 2 August 2011

From my first dealings with Marcella in the hotel i found her to be very help full in my booking, nothing was a problem for her. Even to taxi advise to dealing with me changing my room bookings on several occasions. We had a fab meal in a lovely room, the table was set like it would be at a wedding the waiting staff were excellent, the bar staff and reception staff nothing was a problem. We had a treatment in the spa so enjoyed the staff were lovely. There was 17 girls in total who stayed and all had a ball.. Thank you so much. Olive

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
adermody, Director of Sales at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Olive3591,

Thank you for your kind words it was a pleasure having you stay at the hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend and we look forwad to having you all stay again.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.