“outstanding facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“outstanding facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed in the Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny during the Halloween weekend. It was one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. We frequently visit Kilkenny but this was our first time in the Newpark. Its facilities are second to none! The pool area with its fab steam and sauna rooms are an absolute pleasure to use and the hot tub out-side was the cherry on the cake for me. Our room was fantastic with a bed the size of the local GAA pitch and a wet room with a heated floor!! Sheer luxury and a delight to stay in. The food too was gorgeous. The choice the next morn at breakfast was superb. We will be back in Kilkenny very soon and will definitely be checking in to the Newpark this time. By the way took us under 10 mins to walk into the town and I'm not the fastest thing on two legs either!!! Definitely a hotel not to be missed if you are heading for Kilkenny !

Room Tip: We were in a room which over-looked the gardens. The room was very spacious with loads of room to sl...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ermintrude_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Polish first
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We recently celebrated our wedding reception at the Newpark Hotel last June 2011 so while all of the fine details are still fresh in my memory I said I would put pen to paper to write a review. I must begin by saying that I have never taken the time to post a review or comment on a website but I was so impressed with the Newpark Hotel that I couldn’t let the opportunity pass! From start to finish Newpark provided exceptional service and attention to detail. The ballroom was absolutely stunning on the day, with a beautiful mix of lighting candles and flowers; it was like walking into a banquet at a castle! I was so impressed as were our guests! The food was top class and so many people remarked to us after that it was the best wedding meal they had ever tasted! The staff at the Newpark couldn’t have been more helpful and nothing was a problem. Everyone I dealt with right through from the wedding co-ordinator Yvonne, staff Mary and Aileen and banqueting staff Niall, Peter and Tom were a pleasure to deal with and so professional. We can’t say enough good things about our experience and in my opinion The Newpark Hotel is in a league of its own when it comes to weddings and their standards are just exceptional. Many thanks to everyone at the Newpark, from Eimear and David Ryan.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Abingdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed for a weekend in October with my boyfriend. Overall was a bit disappointed with our stay. Everything in the hotel was just ok.
We arrived very late on the Friday night and had missed last orders in the restaurant but were still given a table which was great. The food was served very promptly, our starters were lovely, my boyfriends steak was good but my duck main course was very dry and had the worst sauce I've ever tasted! The desserts were really good though so that finished the meal on a nice note. Breakfast each morning was also very good, with lots of food and lots of choice.
However our room was another story. We were given a room in the old part of the hotel and you could really tell. The room was very clean but the bathroom needs a serious updating and the decor in the room was old fashioned. There was also no air conditioning and the room was extremely stuffy, we had to request a fan which didn't help much!
The leisure centre is quite nice, although by no means the best I've been to. The out door hot tub was fantastic though, but could have been much hotter. I also had some treatments done in the spa, which were quite nice, but again not fantastic.
Overall, it's a nice hotel, but needs some updating and more attention to detail

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

If you are looking for a warm hotel room, then this hotel isn't the one. Its unfortunate really as its a lovely hotel with great food etc. We stayed on Nov 01st and were given a room that had no heating, and after complaining, were "upgraded" (to use the receptionist's words) to a room that had heating.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shimmering-Rainbow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Myself, my wife and our 3 kids stayed in the hotel for 2 nights in a superior family room. The hotel was lovely, location is very good( about 10 mins walk to town). Had dinner in bar one night and food was gorgeous. The one criticism I would have was the room was a little cramped. Alan, Dublin

• Stayed November 2011
DUBLIN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Have visited this hotel on three occasions. This time was for a short break(3 nights). We were give a room on the 2nd floor in the old part of the hotel. No issues with room quite comfortable. However the advertisetment on the hotel website claims that ALL rooms have free wifi broadband. I had taken my laptop with me in order to finish a project which had to be completed by the 3rd Nov. When I approached the reception about this I was told various tales ie. they were waiting on an engineer and he would fix the problem and our room was too far away to get reception of the wifi etc etc. The final insult was when a tall blonde girl a receptionist offered to upgrade us to an executive room but we would have to pay extra charges!!! So my alternative to all of this was to come home a day early and do what I would have done if I had the wifi in the first place,
Why bother claiming to have wifi in all rooms if you dont? I wont go back to this hotel again. Quite simply because the same receptionist who offered the upgrade
checked us out of the hotel and couldnt have cared less. If this is the attitude thats displayed Im sure our custom would be appreciated elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want wifi ask for a low level room or maybe in new part of hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rob2512Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with family, had a lovely time. Food was good, service was excellent. And the rooms where really nice.
The only negatives where, the rooms were a little too hot at night if you didn’t open a window, the tables in the lobby area where not cleared too quickly between guests. The other thing was I ordered three different bottles of wine and they were all out of stock.
Finally my biggest gripe was during breakfast I seen a couple of female guest in the restaurant that were still in their bed clothes/PJ's. These were middle aged women, and in my opinion people presenting themselves for breakfast should be dressed properly when they're going to be dining in front of other guests, and if they showed up in this attire they should be refused access to the dining area. That really put me off my breakfast especially as one particular middle aged woman was barely dressed and lots of bits were hanging out.

The kiddies club was fantastic and my niece and nephew couldn't wait everday!

They were the only issues I encountered, other than that it was a lovely break.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are very nice
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family