Newpark Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Zuni Hotel(Kilkenny)
  • Breakfast included
2,105 results
All reviewspet farmkids cluboutdoor infinity poolpetting zoofamily hotelleisure centreunderfloor heatinglovely hotelgo kartsfamily breaksuperior roomsteam roomgames roomtop classwalk in showereaster breakboth nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night break over New Year.

Our family superior room was lovely, roomy enough for the 4 of us and the bathroom was lovely, beds were comfy and the room had everything you would need for a short break.

The kids club was great, my children were obsessed with it and begged to go there from when they woke up until when they went to bed!

The pool area and sauna, steam room etc was good, unfortunately a few bits were out of order (plunge pool not working and sauna was only slightly hot) but in general it was very nice.

The staff without exception were excellent, friendly, helpful but not in your face, and lovely with the children.

The food was hit and miss, I had the worst chicken wings I've ever eaten in my life, am not sure how they managed to be overcooked and slimy at the same time! I didn't get a chance to complain about them as they were whisked away while I was distracted by the children - I had only taken 2 bites so was surprised that nobody asked me if there was a problem.

Breakfast was fine, buffet style, mix of hot and cold, the baked goods were very nice and the quality of the hot food was good.

Lunch we had in the bar, it was average hotel bar food I would say. We are not carvery fans but they were doing a big trade with the meat and 2 veg eaters. The kids were happy with the usual pasta, chips and chicken/ sausages etc, so we were happy!

New Years Eve dinner we had in the restaurant, it was average. Again main courses were very much "hotel food", roast beef, chicken, veal, 2 veg, mash, that kind of thing. Kids menu was the same as the bar kids menu, again chips, sausages, spag bol and the like. It was ok, a couple of horrible things (carrot puree not cooked, yorkshire pudding was like a bullet), but the meat was good quality and nicely cooked, and the service was with a smile! It was supposed to be a gala dinner but to me it was just average to poor food. In fairness to the kitchen, they had a huge wedding on the same night and the hotel was jammed so they had a lot on their plate.

I noticed that the cost of alcohol was quite high, coming from Dublin I was still surprised at the price of drink in the hotel bar! For example, a pint bottle of Bulmers was €5.75, its €5 in my local pub in Dublin. That's 15% in the difference!

Overall I'd definitely stay again as it worked out great as a family destination, but I'd probably eat out in some of the excellent restaurants that Kilkenny has next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer block. The old building looked pretty grotty.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Dublingirl,

Thank you for feedback and for choosing to stay at The Newpark Hotel. Im delighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us here at The Newpark.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive comments as its through such feedback we may continue to improve our guest experience here at the hotel.

Please don’t hesitate in contacting me personally before your next visit to the Newpark Hotel as I would be delighted to personally extend some of the Newpark's renowned hospitality.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

As the the title might suggest, we were lucky to stay here for 3 nights over the NYE weekend. The hotel staff that greeted us from day 1 and checked us out on the last day should be commended. The facilities available at the hotel made it such a relaxing weekend and we will be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Dundalkstevo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Newpark hotel experience.

I’m delighted that your experience and stay with us was an enjoyable one and I have shared your wonderful feedback with the entire team here at the hotel.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Just returned from 2 nights stay for new year , had family superior room which was ideal was 2 adults and 2 children with super bathroom . Had food in the main bistro bar which was lovely and very enjoyable same with breakfast. Would recommend this hotel for familes and would like to return in the future. Many thanks .

Room Tip: upgrade is well worth the extra money

Dear Jenniferd,

Thank you for wonderful feedback and for choosing to stay at The Newpark Hotel to celebrate your New Year.

I’m delighted that your experience and stay with us was an enjoyable one and that you had an opportunity to enjoy all of the wonderful facilities available to guests here at The Newpark.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Attended a wedding here on the 27th Dec.Absolutely fantastic.From the moment we checked in to when we checked out.Service,staff were brilliant.curtious,friendly,efficient and so helpful.I cannot praise this hotel enough,and will be singing there praises for a long time to come.Thanks to the Newpark Hotel and the staff for a wonderful experience and hope to see you all in the new year.

Room Tip: Just Book in......!!!!!!!!

Dear Crowbar_a

Thank you for wonderful feedback. I’m delighted that your experience and stay with us was an enjoyable one and that you and your entire family enjoyed the wedding celebrations.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

just back from break at Newpark. LovelyHotel. Superb Friendly staff. lovely surroundings.
Pool area lovely and clean. Was moved with no problem after first night , noisy people next door
Dealt with , no problem. Found that laptop screen had been damaged during the move from one room to tghe other , but duty manager , Ger , again took on board the problem and has agreed to re imburse damage. again dealt with , no problem , very professional.The main manager guy was passing by one of the days , and insisted on buying us a complimentary beverage...very friendly and extremely professional..lovely xmas dinner too , in beautiful surroundings.highly recommend.

Room Tip: 2nd floor = fine

Dear JackB,

Thank you for wonderful feedback and for choosing to stay at The Newpark Hotel this Christmas.

I’m delighted that your experience and stay with us was an enjoyable one and that we reacted accordingly to your requests during your stay.

Best wishes for 2013 and I look forward to hearing from you.