“Kind of a bummer”

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Kind of a bummer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

Decent hotel. This was our 2nd to last stop on a week trip around Ireland and had just stayed in Dingle at a lovely B+B so this disappointed us. We had been paying 80 euros for nice places with breakfast and this was 180 with no breakfast. I think The River Court had availability and a review or 2 may have deterred me but when I saw it I wished I had booked it instead. The Newpark is a big generic, hotel. I think I chose it because other B+Bs with good reviews were booked. There was a wedding happening so it was dressed up and had a nice atmosphere and beautiful set up for that. We were given a room on the 'lower level' which was at the back and down a flight of stairs (no elevator -- fine for us, but take note if it wouldn't be for you). They might have put us there to be away from the wedding party, but the room was depressing -- dated, dark, no artwork, but comfortable enough bed etc. The bathroom looked very '80s. The hall smelled of smoke but our room didn't. My fiance kept joking about going to our business meeting soon. It's also a 5-8 minute drive into Kilkenny, which was surprisingly busy with Bachelorette (hen) parties and big groups. So if you don't want to be in the center of that maybe don't stay in town. However, the River Park Hotel is set back and in the center so seemed quiet (but maybe a little stuffy so it depends on what you're looking for). The Newpark does have a nice gym and spa / pool / sauna so we did use the gym. That helped us feel we got our money's worth. The staff and service was good but we had very little interaction because our stay at the hotel was quick. If this type of hotel is what you're looking for it's perfectly nice but it wasn't right for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Dear Gillsky123,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at The Newpark hotel.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your review and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay in detail at a time convenient to you, I have listed my contact details below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Mark Dunne
Mailto:mark.dunne@newparkhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Polish first
Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Newpark Hotel. The hotel is aesthetically pleasing without and within. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The Spa had a huge variety of treatments and my girlfriend and I got an excellent midweek deal which included a treatment each. The highlight of the leisure facilities was the outdoor hot tub which was fantastic even in brisk Irish Spring. Only two things dampened my opinion, there were a lot of noisy children (which I suppose the hotel cannot be faulted for), but the restaurant left a lot to be desired both in service and quality of the food.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Loved it here! The staff are beyond friendly really make you feel welcome; especially the lovely staff at breakfast and in the bar! I think Denise was our waitress one evening - amazing at her job!!!!

The outdoor pool is fab! Pool lovely, steam room is so cosy! Rooms amazing, love the underfloor bathroom heating!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Claire11113
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was the first stop in our 11 day tour of Ireland. After travelling all day and night the day before to get to Ireland, the nice rooms and exceptionally comfy beds were just what we needed to recharge.

The breakfast buffet was good and offered a nice array of options.

The hotel is close to Kilkenny Castle, Smithwick's Brewery (until Dec 2013) and quite a few nice little shops.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding reception here on the 27th April 2013.
It was fantastic start to finish!!
Staff were very friendly.
Food was beautiful
Room were very nice!!(bridal suite was fantastic)
We organised a lot of the day with Yvonne,
She is fantastic at her job,
Thanks again
Kevin & Orla Quinlan.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Orlaxox13
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I visited this hotel last month with three friends and we all had the same opinion when leaving that the hotel was beautiful and the staff so welcoming and friendly! Kilkenny was a great spot, you could walk into town or get a taxi for reception, we found ourselves eating for the entire weekend in the hotel as the food was so nice, the bar always had a good atmosphere and even though there was a wedding on that had the hotel very busy we still felt that we got the attention and service that we should. The rooms were really spcaious and comfortable - mine had a view to the little farm they have (a great idea if you have a family as the kids in the hotel seemed to love it!) , myself and my friends all got spa treatments which were amazing! I have to thank paula in the spa for going out of her way to fit us in and make us feel so relaxed! the spa itself was beautiful, and the out door jacuzzi (even in April!) was fab! I normally am not great at leaving reviews but I just felt that the staff in the Newpark were so good to us and really made the trip that i had to post a review, its so nice to see staff that genuinely seem to enjoy their jobs and helping the guests that it made our stay so good so thank you! I am already planning a trip back in a few months :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sinead O
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I have stayed here three times and love the hotel. The service is always brilliant, the rooms are immaculate and the outdoor jacuzzi is just fabulous! The hotel is a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle which is not necessarily a bad thing.. They have the best breakfast buffet we've ever seen!

• Stayed June 2012