“Brilliant!”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

It really is a great hotel. Such friendly staff. We were there for a wedding. The service was great and the food was beautiful!
The rooms were very spacious and the bathroom was amazing! We took photos of the bathroom as its exactly how we'd like our bathroom at home! Really great hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank KristinWatson
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed 22 May 2013

If you're American and have heard that the food in Ireland isn't very good, don't believe it. We had superb full Irish breakfasts at the Newpark Hotel, and a very comfortable stay in this lovely little modern hotel. It's near the very old city of Kilkenny, and we were able to walk to the old city every day. We never moved our car at all during our two-day stay, and to be honest, I wish we'd more time in Kilkenny. Be sure to see the castle and ramble about the city.

The hotel has a little animal park out back, which was a delightful surprise. It's not a grand zoo or anything like that, but rather just something you wouldn't see every day. We had a pleasant few moments looking at the animals. One thing about Irish hotels: take conditioner with you if you're accustomed to using it, since you won't find it in the bathrooms. You'll certainly find shampoo, soap, and everything else one would typically find in a hotel bathroom, but not conditioner.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Customer care and attention to detail was second to none! I held a work conference/training course in the Newpark Hotel over two days. The support and assistance provided by the event manager Yvonne Guilfoyle was of the highest standard. The customer service throughout our stay was excellent and we enjoyed the hotels fine dining and superb facilities. I would like to pass on my thanks to the staff of the Newpark for a very successful visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Decent hotel. This was our 2nd to last stop on a week trip around Ireland and had just stayed in Dingle at a lovely B+B so this disappointed us. We had been paying 80 euros for nice places with breakfast and this was 180 with no breakfast. I think The River Court had availability and a review or 2 may have deterred me but when I saw it I wished I had booked it instead. The Newpark is a big generic, hotel. I think I chose it because other B+Bs with good reviews were booked. There was a wedding happening so it was dressed up and had a nice atmosphere and beautiful set up for that. We were given a room on the 'lower level' which was at the back and down a flight of stairs (no elevator -- fine for us, but take note if it wouldn't be for you). They might have put us there to be away from the wedding party, but the room was depressing -- dated, dark, no artwork, but comfortable enough bed etc. The bathroom looked very '80s. The hall smelled of smoke but our room didn't. My fiance kept joking about going to our business meeting soon. It's also a 5-8 minute drive into Kilkenny, which was surprisingly busy with Bachelorette (hen) parties and big groups. So if you don't want to be in the center of that maybe don't stay in town. However, the River Park Hotel is set back and in the center so seemed quiet (but maybe a little stuffy so it depends on what you're looking for). The Newpark does have a nice gym and spa / pool / sauna so we did use the gym. That helped us feel we got our money's worth. The staff and service was good but we had very little interaction because our stay at the hotel was quick. If this type of hotel is what you're looking for it's perfectly nice but it wasn't right for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear Gillsky123,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at The Newpark hotel.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your review and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay in detail at a time convenient to you, I have listed my contact details below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Mark Dunne
Mailto:mark.dunne@newparkhotel.com

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Newpark Hotel. The hotel is aesthetically pleasing without and within. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The Spa had a huge variety of treatments and my girlfriend and I got an excellent midweek deal which included a treatment each. The highlight of the leisure facilities was the outdoor hot tub which was fantastic even in brisk Irish Spring. Only two things dampened my opinion, there were a lot of noisy children (which I suppose the hotel cannot be faulted for), but the restaurant left a lot to be desired both in service and quality of the food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Loved it here! The staff are beyond friendly really make you feel welcome; especially the lovely staff at breakfast and in the bar! I think Denise was our waitress one evening - amazing at her job!!!!

The outdoor pool is fab! Pool lovely, steam room is so cosy! Rooms amazing, love the underfloor bathroom heating!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Claire11113
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was the first stop in our 11 day tour of Ireland. After travelling all day and night the day before to get to Ireland, the nice rooms and exceptionally comfy beds were just what we needed to recharge.

The breakfast buffet was good and offered a nice array of options.

The hotel is close to Kilkenny Castle, Smithwick's Brewery (until Dec 2013) and quite a few nice little shops.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple