“Nice Hotel, but rooms need air conditioning.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Galway, Ireland
“Nice Hotel, but rooms need air conditioning.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed in the hotel many times, most recently last week. The hotel decor is contemporary/traditional. The rooms are fine, the leisure centre is good, the food is ok, no real complaints bar the hotel is very warm.

I would say there are issues with passive solar gain during the day due to the orientation of the windows, it is always very warm and there is no air conditioning in the rooms to cool the room down, I had to leave the door to the half balcony open most of the night so I could sleep,again a 4 star hotel should have aircon in the rooms its not good enough. The hotel is located a good 10 minute walk from the town, and is ideal if you dont want to be near the hustle and bustle of the town.

My message to the hotel is get air conditioning in rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear MikeS,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us here at The Newpark.

I have shared your positive comments with the entire team who are delighted to have made your stay such a memorable one.

I have listed my details below for your reference and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mailto:mark.dunne@newparkhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Myself my wife and two children aged 5 & 7 stayed in the Newpark hotel for 2 nights over the Easter holidays. When booking we rang to make sure that the kids club and all the other activities would be running as per their website. We were assured by the member of staff that they would. What we were not told was that the TUI teachers conference was been held in the hotel over the same time. This meant that the kids club was cancelled and the hotel was turned upside down to accomadate this event. The foyer was turned into a registration area each morning for several hundred teachers. What is usually a relaxing area had all the coaches removed and replaced with trestle tables.
I think you see where this is going..... A disaster, what should have been a relaxing break turned out to be a very stressful experience. I spoke several times to the staff at reception who were polite and courteous but could do nothing. I feel that we should have been informed at the time of booking that this conference was taken place and that the activities for the children were cancelled, we felt duped by the hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brendan C
Dear BrendanC,

Thank you once again for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Newpark.

While I appreciate your comments regarding your visit with us I would like to again confirm that all scheduled activities were in operation for the duration of your visit and additional gratuities were extended to you to further ensure you enjoyed your stay here in Kilkenny.

As previously mentioned by my colleagues we are available to discuss your experience at any time convenient to you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Newpark in the future.

ennis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

It lost stars because room we barely slept. Room was too noisy and hot. The lift was so noisy. The room was crazy hot (no heat wave or heating on...??) so we had window open then it was extra noisy with a wedding and traffic. I rang reception about 1am he said there was a fan in wardrobe, but there wasn't. I complained in the morning and we got a late checkout til half 2.

The outdoor pool and steam room are AMAZING really really nice. The food and service good. We all loved the farm and our 2yr old loved the playgrounds.

Overall it was very poor value at €179 b&b... Would not go again at this price.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank hungryEnnis
Dear Hungryennis,

I have shared your positive comments with the entire team and I also welcome your constructive comments as it will assist my team at providing the experience you have come to expect from the Newpark.

I have listed my details below for your reference and I look forward to hearing from you in advance of your next visit to The Newpark.

Kind Regards,
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding and booked a double room for 2 nights. The hotel area was lovely and the wedding was amazing. When we checked in we had a good long walk to the back of the hotel and our room was a disgrace. The bathroom was filthy and old fashioned hadn't been touched in about 20 years id say. The toiled seat was cracked and what looked like blood stained into it. It was dark and dreary. I complained at reception and the only option was to upgrade to a deluxe room for an extra €40 a night. We did this and the room was lovely, was like going from a two star to five star accommodation.

The staff in the bar were a joke they were only kids and very slow, took them 45 minutes to get us 2 teas and two scones. The tea was cold when we did eventually get it! The breakfast is very bad, food was awful to be honest! The bar food is very nice a little expensive for what you get but worth it!

Location is perfect no noise in the hotel from guests coming in late at night!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moll B
Dear MollB,

Thank you for your review. I can assure you your experience is in no way indicative of our usual level of service delivered to our guests here at The Newpark. I can also assure you we have a rigorous capital expenditure plan which operates on a 12 month basis to maintain and upgrade all aspects of our property.
Our service training plans also follow at monthly plan to ensure service delivery is maintained above 4 star standards.

I have listed my details below for your reference as I would be delighted to discuss your experience in person at a time convenient to you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ennis, Clare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Their side salad needs more vinegarette. That's it.
The place is spotless. The staff all over the hotel are so friendly and GENUINELY helpful. The leisure centre is great.
I had sirloin steak in the bar and it was perfect ( apart from the salad ha ha).
This is the third Flynn Hotel I have stayed in; and if I am anywhere near one again on business, I will make the detour to stay in one. This family are at the top of their game when it comes to quality and service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear AlanF,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. At Flynn hotels we are committed to delivering the very best in service and experience to our guests on a daily basis and we are delighted that you have experienced this throughout our properties.

Please contact me personally if I may be of any assistance in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

had a great time here ,all the staff are very friendly and there to help with any information you may need ,and such a child friendly place, there is a mini farm onsite and go carts which my daughter loved,also a playground, would happily go back again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Gemmal,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your family’s recent stay here at The Newpark hotel Kilkenny.

We pride ourselves in providing the very best of facilities for all guests and in particular our younger guests with the latest addition of our Go Kart track and go karts for summer 2014.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and please don’t hesitate in contacting me if I can be of any assistance.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here during 'cat laughs' festival. Bar is lovely with great live music every night. Foyer is beautiful and reception staff are casual but very efficient (although they did mistakenly over charge us at check in. ..quickly sorted out). Breakfast was very good with numerous staff overing service.

What would have improved my stay would have been to stay in renovated room. Our room was very 90s with shocking bathroom tiling. I would recommend to ask for newly renovated rooms. But otherwise good hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobby_wee
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Tobby_wee,

Thank you for visiting Kilkenny for the Cat Laughs festival 2014. While I’m delighted that your overall experience was a positive one I also appreciate your constructive comments regarding your stay.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Newpark in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance.

We look forward to hearing from you.