“Cat laughs Kilkenny”
Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first time to visit Kilkenny for the cat laughs weekend and the Newpark was the perfect venue with great food, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the staff are always there to assist with the smallest request. The hotel have several shows on Saturday and Sunday while we stayed. The outdoor pool is just the place to unwind after a heavy night out!! Definitely recommend the newpark....

• Stayed: June 2014
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear PhilIreland07

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed Cat Laughs 2014 and our Infinity pool certainly is the perfect cure after a great night out in Kilkenny.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Newpark in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Myself and my partner have just returned from a 2 night stay in the Newpark and we are already planning our return visit! From the moment we arrived we felt at home. The staff are a credit to the hotel, no request was too difficult and they really had service with a smile. Having worked in hotels before I am a harsh critic but I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation. It's perfect for couples, families, a group of friends. The facilities on site are a real treat, you have to visit the mini wildlife farm and the walkway at the back of the hotel, they're even better when the sun is shining. The Spa is very relaxing with helpful and knowledgeable therapists and the infinity pool is amazing! The hotel is close to everything too, it was a nice day so we didn't need a taxi, just enjoyed the walk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 2014Traveller,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m delighted that you and your partner had the opportunity to explore and experience everything our wonderful hotel has to offer.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My boyfriend & I stayed in the Newpark Hotel for 3 nights with 2 dinners included in the package in one of the beautiful suite rooms.
We arrived at the hotel at 3.40pm, and told our room wasn't ready for another 15 minutes, We waited in the lobby which was very clean and comfortable.
When we got to our room it was lovely & spacious with a separate living area & a large balcony. The only faults I would have with the bedroom is when we watched the tv half of the screen was blue & needs replacing.The room was also to hot! Even though we had air conditioning it was roasting all of the time.
For dinner we dined in the bar as we were told the restaurant was closed. We waited 20 minutes for someone to take our order & nobody came near us so we got up to ask somebody to take our order & was told someone will be down to our table in a minute, 10 minutes later a waiter finally took our order!!
My boyfriend ordered a rare cooked steak & chips, As I'm a vegetarian there was no options on the menu so I just ordered a plate of mash & veg.
When the food came out the steak was overcooked. My mash & carrots were stone cold even though the plate was roasting? Clearly thrown in a microwave!
I didn't eat in the hotel for the next 2 nights after that mess. My boyfriend ate steak again on the second night & said it was better than the night previous.
We didn't use the pool or spa during our stay but the grounds the hotel are on is beautiful especially with the mini farm on site.
During our 3 day stay we didn't receive any fresh towels! In any other hotel we stayed in the past we always get a bag of toiletries left outside our bedroom door.
On day of checkout the receptionist was friendly & then said 'There was extra charges on our room' Clearly there wasn't as we had 2 dinners each included in our package.
She later apologized for the mistake.
Overall I did enjoy the break away It wasn't all negative, the hotel is in a lovely location and the room was fab.
They need to cater for vegetarians and sort out the bad food!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a spacious suite room on the 4th floor!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear lol49,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay here at the Newpark hotel Kilkenny and Im delighted that your enjoyed our hotel and your visit to the wonderful city of Kilkenny.

Thank you also for your constructive commenting regarding your room and service experience which we will review accordingly and should you be available I would welcome an opportunity to discuss with you in person. At the Newpark we use only the very best of produce sourced locally and delivered fresh daily for service in our restaurants here at the hotel. Our menu also caters for vegetarians with 10% of our dishes suitable for such dietary requirements.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed in the Newpark Hotel a few times now, most recently the June bank holiday weekend and I can not fault it.
The rooms are spacious,clean and well equipped - the bathroom had a standalone shower room which was a nice bonus.
The staff are friendly and very efficient.
The breakfast was buffet style and had everything you may need for a nice breakfast and a great start to the day.
I would highly recommend a stay at the Newpark Hotel - I'll definitely continue to stay there on my visits to Kilkenny.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Alanb,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m delighted that you had the opportunity to explore and experience everything our wonderful city has to offer.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Unfortunately, we did not enjoy our stay at the Newpark Hotel Kilkenny for many reasons:-
1. When we arrived at the hotel a wedding reception was getting underway in the foyer. There was no one to help with bags or doors. It was very difficult to hear the receptionist from the noise of the wedding reception which is all catered for in the foyer. It left us with a feeling of being invisible and unimportant.

2. The pool was not available to kids after 7pm but this information was not provided at the time of booking a 'family' room. There was nothing else for kids to do in this hotel only swim!!

3. On one occasion I struggled through a doorway with my kids and our bags and a male member of staff just looked on. Unbelievable!!

In today's current economic climate paying for a family of 5 in a hotel is a significant cost and in our case this trip was planned for months. We did not feel welcome in this hotel and also feel there was no value placed on the hard earned money we paid to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JulieGL2014

Dear Julie,

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your recent stay with us in person and I have listed my contact details below for you.

While I appreciate your comments I can assure you I’m extremely disappointed as here at The Newpark we are committed to delivering only the highest standard of guest experience on a daily basis. We are especially committed to providing families with small children every assistance possible such as portage on arrival and our facilities on site range from our Wildlife Farm to indoor games room, family room complete with kitchenette and two outdoor playgrounds and our new go-karting area, all of which are open throughout the day and late evening. Our swimming pool is also open for our younger guests for 10 hours each day.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed in the hotel many times, most recently last week. The hotel decor is contemporary/traditional. The rooms are fine, the leisure centre is good, the food is ok, no real complaints bar the hotel is very warm.

I would say there are issues with passive solar gain during the day due to the orientation of the windows, it is always very warm and there is no air conditioning in the rooms to cool the room down, I had to leave the door to the half balcony open most of the night so I could sleep,again a 4 star hotel should have aircon in the rooms its not good enough. The hotel is located a good 10 minute walk from the town, and is ideal if you dont want to be near the hustle and bustle of the town.

My message to the hotel is get air conditioning in rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Newpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear MikeS,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us here at The Newpark.

I have shared your positive comments with the entire team who are delighted to have made your stay such a memorable one.

I also welcome your constructive comments as it will assist my team at providing the experience you have come to expect from the Newpark.

I have listed my details below for your reference and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Myself my wife and two children aged 5 & 7 stayed in the Newpark hotel for 2 nights over the Easter holidays. When booking we rang to make sure that the kids club and all the other activities would be running as per their website. We were assured by the member of staff that they would. What we were not told was that the TUI teachers conference was been held in the hotel over the same time. This meant that the kids club was cancelled and the hotel was turned upside down to accomadate this event. The foyer was turned into a registration area each morning for several hundred teachers. What is usually a relaxing area had all the coaches removed and replaced with trestle tables.
I think you see where this is going..... A disaster, what should have been a relaxing break turned out to be a very stressful experience. I spoke several times to the staff at reception who were polite and courteous but could do nothing. I feel that we should have been informed at the time of booking that this conference was taken place and that the activities for the children were cancelled, we felt duped by the hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brendan C

Dear BrendanC,

Thank you once again for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Newpark.

While I appreciate your comments regarding your visit with us I would like to again confirm that all scheduled activities were in operation for the duration of your visit and additional gratuities were extended to you to further ensure you enjoyed your stay here in Kilkenny.

As previously mentioned by my colleagues we are available to discuss your experience at any time convenient to you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Newpark in the future.