“Excellent service, spotless, great restaurants and a comfy bed! What more could you ask for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Newpark Hotel

Newpark Hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
North American
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

When you read my review, please keep in mind that I stayed at this hotel in September, 2007. I think it was a Best Western at that time. I didn't know about Trip Advisor until recently- hence the late review. I hope it is still relevant!

I stayed at this hotel for two nights as part of a tour throughout Ireland and this hotel was my favourite of all I stayed at. I think the lobby looked a little different, but it was quite impressive, nicely decorated and the furniture was comfortable. I recall a large display of brochures about the hotel and local attractions. Even though the desk staff I spoke with were from Canada, not Ireland, they were very knowledgeable about local attractions and directions. The bellmen, concierge, and front desk agents were all smiling and checked in our rather large group very quickly.

The room was lovely- it was bright, spacious, spotlessly clean and dust free. The windows were big and let in a lot of light, but the curtains blocked any light when I went to bed. All the bedding seemed brand new and was fresh and comfortable. The bathroom was also elegant and I had a long soak in the tub after doing a lot of walking around town. (I don't usually take baths in hotels, but this one was so nice!) I particularly liked that the shower was separate from the soaker tub and that there was no yucky shower curtain. My only criticism is that there is no door on the shower and the floor go very wet which could be dangerous.

I ate with my group in the dining room/banquet hall the first night and the food was excellent. We had a choice of sole, beef pork or pasta. I remember all of us at the table agreed it was delicious. The staff were extremely attentive without hovering or fawning. The second night I wanted something more casual and I had a burger & fries at Scott Dove Bar. It was fairly expensive, but good. I had a deep restful sleep and the hotel was very quiet.

My only negatives were the potential slip hazard in the bathroom, caused by the design of the shower stall and a small issue with the dry cleaning at the hotel. The cleaning was perfectly fine, but instead of simply hanging it in my room while I was out (maybe Housekeeping could have let them in?) my article was hand delivered, and the employee lingered a little too long looking for a tip. I didn't realize this until after she finally left (I was tired!) but I thought that was a little tacky and given that the dry cleaning was very expensive I felt I had already paid plenty.

I loved Kilkenny and I hope to return soon. I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

we got a voucher for Christmas and having a bad expereice 3 years ago we were not looking forward to the return visit. But wow have things changed. the hotel has changed hands to the Flynn Group and they had made incredible changes. The whole hotel has had a compelte renovation and is now a first class facility.. we went with friends and we all agreed that the staff were as frinedly as we have come across. The best part of the hotel is theor new healt club with and out door infinity pool overlooking the garden. We almpst spent the whole weekend in it .

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

What a wonderful chef this hotel has, during our stay over the weekend 29th Jan - 31 Jan. We were greeted by Chey who was a joy, so cheerful and helpful. We eat in the bar on Friday night to a wonderful steak and chips, desert. All so very tasty, really beautifully cooked. Surrounding comfortable and warm. But the breakfast really does deserve a mention and I heard a good few other people commenting on how lovely it was also. Great choice, but mushrooms, tomatoes, puddings etc all done with no greese at all. Baked or done so freshly it was a joy to enjoy such a lovely morning with hot tea, coffee, toast, freshly baked brown breads, scrambled eggs. Every hotel breakfast I have ever had is saturated with greese and soggy mushrooms and fried eggs, but not here.
Helpful staff, who directed us to the city, a 30 minute walk. A trip to KIlkenny Castle, 6 euros entrance fee. A great city to walk. Then before a wonderful dinner a lovely time in there pool, jacuzzi. Also a lovely touch are free newspapers each morning.Large king size bed and one single bed in our very comfortable room. The only thing I could think that could be improved upon is if one face cloth was in the bathroom, for removing a girl's make up, but really just a very small thing. TV. excellent, all stations, CNN, SKY, etc. all included in the cost.
I would highly recommend this hotel for a very pleasant and comfortable break in Kilkenny City.
I hope this review is helpful to other travellers. The one important thing is that it is ideal with a car, but remember it is a 30 minute walk to city, but very near and cheap for using a taxi in and out. Lovely city to shop in and enjoy a coffee in the many little cafes. In the Castle there is a free 10 minute film of its history, so be sure to ask to be shown where it is on. And the grounds are beautiful to walk through on a nice summers day, free and a free childrens playground there also. Opposite the castle some lovely shops and a craft centre. Another lovely place in Kilkenny for a lovely inexpensive meal is a pub called The Brog Maker, just down the road from this Newpark Hotel.
Well done to the chef and kitchen staff of the hotel. Rooms spotless, and staff extremly helpful. Lovely waitress in the bar and same girl on duty again at breakfast, so helpful and pleasant. Looking forward to our next return visit.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is a lovely hotel for a short break. From our check in to our departure every member of staff we encountered was attentive and courteous. They couldn't do enough for us.We stayed in their twin rooms & they were very spacious (large double + single), well decorated & modern. Walls & doors not sound proof though as we could hear some general noise as guests retired after a wedding (nothing annoying though). Leisure centre is modern & well maintained with the usual pool, whirl pool, sauna etc with the added luxury of an outdoor infinity whirlpool. A perfect place to relax. The hotel is about 2-3km from the city centre - a 5 min drive but plenty taxis available. We ate in the hotel & the food was lovely although the menu wasn't overly adventurous. There is also good bar food available in the welcoming bar.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Tipperary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

Booked my stay as part of a business network, for our end of 2009 & new year review. Once we completed our business meeting, we settled in for a lovely meal. As a coeliac, I was delighted to be served by someone with a smile who was completely up-to-speed in advising me on my best options on the menu... so a big thank you to the staff. Later we relaxed in the very spacious foyer for a night of banter & good cheer. The rooms were large, new and well fitted out. In the morning my clocking out was handled with efficiency & more friendly conversation. All-in-all our network group really enjoyed our stay, which came at keen rates and excellent quality. i hope to return soon... Garry

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Laois, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We had our annual dinner dance here in December. Fantastic night had by all. Food was lovely, service was quick and polite. Bar staff were top notch. From the moment we booked to the morning we left we were treated as if we were the only guests in the hotel. 250 people in my party and not a single complaint. Some achievement. I could not recommend the Newpark highly enough. The staff and service we received are a credit to the owners and management.

• Stayed December 2009
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

we held our wedding reception at the Newpark Hotel on January 1st this year. What can i say it was just lovely. Every little detail was taken care off which made our day extra special. I couldnt compliment the staff enough and the food was lovely, piping hot and plenty off it. I would also reccommend the pig on the spit for the afters food, went down a treat, everyone really enjoyed it. All the guests couldnt compliment the whole reception enough. I would highly reccommend Newpark for holding a wedding reception.

• Stayed January 2010