“We won't advise anyone to stay here.”
Review of Club House Hotel

Club House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel in mid October . On our arrival on the Friday evening, when we eventually found our room, there are lots of corridors and stairs, we found our room to be musty and smell of damp. Although it was very clean the bathroom was from another era. Breakfast the next morning was basic and small, one sausage one rasher etc.Our meal on one night was included in our package it was ok, I got the monkfish which was chewy, my husband had duck and his was a much better meal then mine. Overall for the money we spend I didn't think we got good value and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone .

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Clonlady

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Had a wonderful time staying there--v/charming--great location--great food--v/accommodating--wonderful price--upon checking out at 5:00 AM the hotel staff moved mountains to send us off in proper style by fixing for us an iconic full Irish breakfast well before the normal hours for food service--when you talk about extending oneself this said it all--would definitely stay there again--Kevin and Ellen Flynn--Whitestone NY

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed here for a hen party for two nights. Easy location to find, car park is located at back of premises. Check in was very quick and receptionist was friendly. Bedrooms were located to back of hotel and had to carry all our lugguage up stairs and walk down corridors to get to our rooms. Shower was just okay. On the plus side the breakfast that was included with our room was very good and the dining room staff were extremely nice and friendly. The late bar was great and bar staff were very helpful. The location is the main advantage to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in September of 2012. Greeted by a warm staff. This is an older hotel and I knew this going into it. The hotel is full of Victorian charm. Our room was quiet and clean. It was a few minutes walking distance to everything. The breakfast which was included in the room was quite tasty and lots of it.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Went here on a voucher for 2 nights b&b and a bottle of wine. The hotel were helpful enough to accommodate us at a weekend even though that wasn't part of the original voucher deal. At the voucher price, it was excellent value and we loved the service that we got from the staff in the hotel who were always helpful, friendly and courteous. The place itself has probably seen better days and the rooms are a little retro with sink in the bedroom and old-school sliding door to the bathroom. That said, the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is well situated in the centre of Kilkenny and has customer parking at the back which is useful. Breakfast choice is good with a buffet available to pick from and hot options also available - I advise hungry people to avail of both. Fish is available for breakfast too which makes a nice change. I must warn you about the full Irish though - there is no black pudding, the serving is quite small and the fried bread is the worst that I have ever had (the rest of the full Irish is good though) - fried bread should be crispy and have flavour (be is salt/pepper or whatever was in pan) - it should not be soggy and limp and taste only of lukewarn vegetable oil - yuk! Fish was also lovely with poached eggs and breakfast staff were very good. Though I doubt that I would pay full price to stay here to be honest, if they've any offers on then it's certainly worth considering.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I bought a voucher for a two night stay in this hotel with breakfast and a bottle of wine included in the price. This was a good offer but I think I would be disappointed if I paid full price...so opt for the voucher....
It was a nice hotel and the few staff that we encountered were pleasant but there were one or two things that need to be improved. Without the risk of insulting the character of the hotel, there are stairs everywhere; it is a bit of a maze and there was no-one to help us with our bags. My partner and I were given a room in the extension, which was not a gentle addition to this hotel. From the wooden floors and rich carpeting of the original house to the faded green, needing a revamp carpet in the extension, it was more than a little drab. Our room was clean, but the bathroom definitely hasn’t been updated in a long time...with the blue and white clinical tiles. We didn’t sample breakfast as we weren’t blown away by what the hotel offered us so far, so we opted to eat out.
Overall the hotel was comfortable but nothing to write home about. The staff are not unpleasant in any way, but they didn’t really make their presence known either. It was a basic but comfortable hotel to stay in but I think I may sample a different hotel on my next stay in Kilkenny.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandSo
Reviewed 26 July 2012

THe location of this hotel is great, a stroll away from the castle and the night life. The room was spacious enough for my wife and I. The beds were comfortable the room clean and a large ensuite. The reception staff and staff in general were friendly and chatty. The breakfast was very nice and well presented in a timely manner. We would definetly return and would recommend this hotel. If you want a seven star hotel, look elsewhere, the Club House does what it says in the tin.
We both loved the originality of the hotel and didnt mind the stairs.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple