“Wonderful services”
Review of Club House Hotel

Club House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 30 January 2009

The "free" parking lot was hard to find. But once we did find it and got checked in, everything went beautifully. The location is wonderful - within walking distance of downtown, pubs, the castle, etc. Once we parked, we never moved our car until it was time to move on to Killarney. The service is absolutely terrific. When calling for any type of room service, a person was at the door almost before getting the phone back on the hook. The "free" breakfast is absolutely wonderful. Cooked exactly as ordered. I would definitely stay again, but I would not recommend it for the elderly or handicapped. It's large and has been added onto which makes for a lot of walking and stairs.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank retsec

Reviewed 29 January 2009

We did have a hard time finding this hotel and the free parking behind it, but once checked in everything was superb. The staff checked us in quickly and gave us a simple but very comfortable room in the back wing. While we were there we did enjoy the bar and restaurant (many locals also seem to eat here) and the best Irish breakfast that we had on our trip. The owner of the hotel was always around making sure that everything was perfect for the guests and the location was right in the heart of Kilkenny. At 80 Euros a night it was a great value as well.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife and I travelled from our home in the British Virgin Islands to visit family in the UK. Neither of us had visited Ireland (for any length of time) before...even though I grew up in England.
We flew into Dublin and enjoyed the few hours on the road getting to Kilkenny...lost for a few minutes we called the hotel and were given more specific directions. From that initial contact we received nothing but excellent service from all staff members that we encountered.
The hotel is ideally located for shopping, eating out, churches cathedrals etc...could not have chosen a better location.
The rooms, restaurant, bar are all simply charming. I recommend the full Irish breakfast. I read another review that the hotel appeared "tired"...I can only hope that if entertained for over 200 years that I would remain as inspiring and accommodating as the hotel proved to be.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CornishBvi
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Nice location in the town of Kilkenny, but the hotel is somewhat tired and worn. Clean and serviceable, but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Having stayed across the street from this hotel previously I knew that the location of the Club House hotel was a good one. It's within a couple minutes walking distance from the shops, pubs and Kilkenny Castle. The hotel also has a free car park at the rear which is very useful.

The hotel itself is very old. There is a lot of stairways to navigate to get to most of the rooms which might not suit older guests. The rooms are basic but very comfortabl. However you would not wanna be too tall getting in to the shower or you may not get wet!!

We stayed there as a group of guys so the location was the main thing for us and the residents bar was also a plus point. The night porters were good craic too and helped make the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank fermoyboy
Reviewed 12 May 2008

As other reviews already have pointed out, the hotels strongest side is its character, hospitality and location.

I don´t mind staying at hotels belonging to big chains, as long as they are clean, well located and cheap. But I rather like to stay at hotels like the 200 years old Club House.

Some reviewer said that some features of this hotel need refurbishments but being the building that old, permission has to be given in order to start alterating anything inside. I found, that considering its age, the hotel looked rather good, especially the bathroom that had quiet new fittings.

We met a lady that said that she kept on visiting the Club House Hotel for 40 years now and I can understand that. The owner of the hotel was very friendly, the breakfast was good, and the place was very clean and centrally located. The breakfast was very a very good one, by the way...

I very much recommend it!

Cheers
Oscar

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oscar L
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I arived in the Club House on a Sunday Night inquiring about a room. I was given a good room rate so I decided to stay. My room was nice and cosy. I then proceeded to the bar where i had a very enjoyable steak. The bar staff again were very friendly and made me feel very welcome. The hotel is familly owned and you are instantly made feel welcome when you arive. I really enjoyed my stay and would go back again. Ian behind the bar had a great sence of Humour!!

Stayed: February 2008