“Lovely place to stay”
Review of Shillogher House

Shillogher House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Shillogher House
Ranked #71 of 73 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We (2 friends & I) decided to go to kilkenny for a weekend spur of the moment. Got a recommendation of this B&B. We stayed in a tripple room at the back of house, like chalets, they were great, looked on to a massive garden. Room was basic but clean. Not far from centre, but still got taxi in. Great night in Kilkenny :-). Breakfast was the best. The owner was very funny. No hurry out of rooms either next day. Overall a nice place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed here for a friend's wedding in Kilkenny. I would not recommend this B&B to anyone. The room was not clean, was cold, smelt of damp and there were dead insects and cobwebs in the room and bathroom. On trying to have a shower in the morning, there was no hot water. We mentioned to the owner when leaving and he simply stated "Check out is at 11 and the water gets switched off at 10.30" . Helpful.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2009

A group of us stayed here for a girls weekend. We stayed in chalet type rooms at the rear of the house that were great. Not sure about other reviews here, but rooms were clean and big size. Staff were very friendly and breakfast was lovely. Location is very near centre of town. Lovely stay overall.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed in Kilkenny for two nights (my boyfriend and I).

The hosts were helpful and friendly and breakfast was LOVELY!

Unfortunately the room was cold, the bathroom had a lot of damp and the place needed a bit of TLC. (Sink was cracked in two places, cobwebs etc.)

On a plus the linen was clean.

I wouldn't recommend this place and I wouldn't stay again. If it was cheaper then I'd put up with the bad stuff but it was too expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Myself and a group of girls had previously stayed here a couple of years ago and it was fine hence we went back again, the location is very handy for getting into town and easy to find travelling from the Dublin direction. But that's about it, we stayed in the shallets at the back of the house this time round and they were pure filth, one of the girls who was down first said the toliet bowl wasn't even clean,a towel was placed on the floor of the bathroom and when lifted up it was black. There were cobwebs everywhere and we counted 7 spiders in the room or bathroom. The room was small and was supposed to accomodate 5 adults, 2 doubles and a single, the double beds were smaller than the standard size!!! A 30 euro tin of Woodies or B&Q paint would not go astray. The beds were ok comfort wise but the sheets and duvets smelt musty, the carpers had stains on them and were covered with mats. How and ever we stayed the night and after breakfast I asked the host if I could have a quite word with her. I did not want to say anything if front of the other guests and make a scene. I voiced our disappointment with the standard of the room, she apologised and said that she would come out to the room and have a look. Well talk about a complete transformation of character, the way the host spoke to us in the room I have never been spkoen to like that before not even when you would have been scolded as a child. She proceeded to tell us that the dirt on the ground in the bathroom was the grout !!! HELLO, I think we know the difference between pure filthy dirty grime and tile grout. She then turned around and said that she would be happier if we left and didn't stay another night as we would have something else to complain about in the morning. In the same breath she said the customer is always right and please leave. This B&B has a bord Failte and an AA sign, there will be letters drafted and sent to these organisations informing them of the state of this B&B and recommending an inspection. I attached some photos, I hope they come out clear enough as these were taken on a camera phone as opposed to a digital camera. All anyone asks for is somewhere clean to stay the night. We were charged 45 euro per person for the room which is just scandless. STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2007

From the outset, this was not a pleasant stay. Room was cold. I had to put towels on the window to stop the draught coming in. Toilet and shower were separate (not what I would call en-suite) and extremely small. Shower did not work properly and shower-door did not close. Items were still left in the room from a previous guest which begged the question whether the room had been cleaned at all before our arrival. Breakfast was not particularly nice. Our room looked out onto a dirty yard. When I lodged my dissatisfaction about the shower with the host he was non-responsive and his attitude was appalling. I am extremely dissatisfied with this B&B and I am sorry I wasted my money there. It is this type of B&B that gives others a bad reputation within Ireland. Lesson learned unfortunately.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2007

The house was very nice and easy to locate. It was within walking distance to the town. We stayed in May 2006 and it was our first stay in Ireland.
Breakfast was very well done and the house itself was very nice.

If there was one problem it would be the bed...it was very uncomfortable. They should invest in new mattresses.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends