Celtic House B&B
  • Breakfast included
Troysgate House(Kilkenny)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationkilkenny castlequiet streetwonderful hostsshort walkhost and hostesstop floorwithin walking distancenice staysecure car parktypical irish breakfastgreat parkinglocal sitesbreakfast was deliciousstayed for two nightsspent one nightclose to town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2013

black and white tile floor and egyptian vases decorate this clean home close to the Kilkenny town center....not what we were expecting when we arrived in Ireland! Bfast was large and plentiful...in addition to the traditional Irish bfast, we also had cereals, fruits, and toast to choose from. Rooms are tiny, but the bathrooms are nice and clean. You are across from a school, so it's neat to see the kids walking to school if you get up in time.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xenaht2000
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Had to order breakfast when we walked in, choices being full Irish,continental or vegetarian. Who knows what we want the next morning on checking in? John advised the beds were all new, but the double was something I have in my dogs kennel and the single had two very very old mattresses on top of each other resembling a hammock once you laid on it. The 7 inch 1960's TV on top of the wardrobe didn't work not that it mattered as you couldn't see it laying on the bed anyway.
We walked out but our car was locked in the back yard so we couldn't leave and some robust discussions ensured before we got out of that hell hole!
Follow the reviews and don't stop there!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Myself & my husband had the pleasure of staying in this character filled B&B over the June holiday weekend (bonus for us it was a comedy festival weekend).
The place is perfectly positioned and is walking distance of all main touristy spots in the city, there's a smashing restaurant down the road called 'Langton House' well worth a visit.
The rooms are cosy & has modern decor through out, the house has bust's & statues from all over the world from the owners travels a real treat for fellow travellers. Oh and the owner Angela is also a talented painter & writer, one book published and another on the way, you can buy a book from her & have it personally signed too, a nice touch.
The owners also have a son in Australia Perth so it was great to chat about our beautiful country and compare it with scenic Ireland.
Over all I would highly recommend this premises and would book again upon a return visit to Ireland (which I hoping the husband will agree too)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mimi B
Reviewed 3 June 2013

location is perfect,quiet but very central. There is parking and its very easy to find. Friendly owners and room was very clean. However ...we were asked upon arrival what we would like for breakfast the following morning which I thought odd as I cannot predict how hungry I might be. But shockingly ,we were not asked again in the morning what we would like or how well done etc and a big plate with a little miserly dried out veggie breakfast presented.one tomato and two dried out hash Browns with two eggs. It had been clearly waiting for us to arrive.There was no brown bread, the tomato sauce was long expired.I asked for scrambled eggs instead of runny fried eggs and was told basically tough, `well he has made them now so..' It was the most arrogant customer service ever experienced. After paying the 120 for the room, I asked to fill my water bottle as there was a drinking water dispenser in the dining area but the man kindly insisted he would fill it for me.I was instructed to wait outside and he proceeded to fill it from the kitchen tap which tasted like a swimming pool. thanks. Arrogance about customer service seems to prevail.it's a shame as with a little cop on and a trip to a shop for some good food,it could be a brilliant bnb.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank ccorcoran17
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Worst B&B I've ever stayed in. The hosts were rude, the room tiny, beds uncomfortable, the breakfast mediocre at best. Only good feature was it's proximity to downtown Kilkenny. We took a chance even though there were some poor reviews and now regret it. Don't take a chance! Plenty of other B&B's in Kilkenny where you'll get better treatment.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple