“There must be 2 Brog Makers since the one I visited had lovely rooms.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brog Maker Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Brog Maker Hotel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Chicago, IL
“There must be 2 Brog Makers since the one I visited had lovely rooms.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

I have stayed at the Brog Maker twice. Once by myself and once with 4 family members. The rooms were large & airy, whoever says they are small must have been drunk & fell into a closet. The bathtubs were a wonderful change from all of the small showers at the other places we stayed on our two week trip. The staff were incredibly welcoming. We loved the food & the beds were great. The first time I was there I was heading to London after my visit in Kilkenny and the owner gave me a lovely loaf of brown bread to take with me so I wouldn't get hungry in England. I can't wait to go back there this summer.

Stayed September 2004
1 Thank pique1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2007

Stayed in The Brog Maker for the 6th time on the 27th & 28th of October & we loved it! I cant understand how people are saying that the place is filthy? There was a cleaner there both mornings with clean towels & bed sheets & she was very friendly too.

The food is lovely especially the big breakfast with plenty of fresh orange juice to help cure a hangover! :)

The staff are great....We have to mention Denis the barman who entertained us all weekend! And Bobby the owner who gave us a round of drinks to 8 people because there was a slight mix up with our rooms.

We will be back again soon to stay here again, we just hope there will be some live music this time! Maybe Tomas Jackman (Acousticats) who is fantastic! We go to hear him everytime we stay in Kilkenny.

Posted By Martina & the gang from Waterford

• Liked — Nice friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — No live Music
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank GorgeousbutGrumpy
Louth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

I stayed in the Brog Maker last month. When I recommended the guesthouse for the weekend, my friend looked it up on trip advisor. I was suprised to see some of the reviews and decided to write about my weekend there. When my boyfriend and I arrived on Friday evening we checked in and had a meal in the restaurant. It was excellent so much so that we eat there again on the Saturday night. It was great after the long journey to have a restaurant which such good food so close at hand. The rooms were perfect and very clean. Above all though the staff were so nice and friendly. They did not seem to be able to do enough for us. They were also great in recommending what there was to do and see around the city. I hope this review can be helpful in deciding to stay in Kilkenny (which is a great city to visit.). I think some of your other members must have been very unlucky.

• Liked — Great food and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location of check in area
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank oliviahogan80
leinster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2006

In the brog maker in September for a break to kilkenny had our dinner in the restaurant found the menu extensive staff were very friendly the food was fab The rooms were clean and spacious the bathroom was clean and big enough. Mark cant pull a point of guinness. the rooms were cleaned both days.All ready looking forword to our next visit to the brog maker.

• Liked — location,food and staff
  • Disliked — close to main road
  • Tips/Secrets — try midweek
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jarluth
Dublin Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2006

This was my 2nd trip to this place-1st was bad, it just got worse.Whatever they're paying the cleaner its too much..the toilet leaked and left pools of urine behind it dried in, there was a radiator in the bathroom which was inhabited by an unnatural collection of webs and spiders, the shower hose was so blocked only a dribble of water emerged leaving us in fear of legionaires, bedroom was only vaccumed in the centre, lamp bulb and socket was wrenched out and left in dressingtable drawer???, should I even go on...okay, the sheets were snow white and pressed, the beds were comfortable , the towel s were washed but it could have been better.
The bar was fun and friendly and the food was lovely and really good value, breakfast was hit and miss, we were waved vaguely in the direction of cereal on a table in the middle but we had no cutlery to fill bowls with, this was delivered with a sigh when pointed out , then there was no juice in the jug, the breakfast arrived cooked and was very good but we had to request toast and coffee.
Verdict: this establishment needs a good overhaul and steamclean by a full team of professional contract cleaners then maybe some kind of customer relations course, it was impossible to find someone to check you in or out. Its good value but you really would need a quirky sense of humour and certainly not be hygiene conscious!!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank stevieDublinIreland

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2006

Do not stay here for the following reasons:
-filthy un-hoovered rooms
-filthy unclean bathrooms
-dirty linen stored in hallway
-dark and dingy all over – place hasn’t been aired in years
-pricey compared to the much cleaner B&Bs nearby
-alarm went of night before our stay. A friend was stayingf at the time. The alsrm went off from 4am to 5 am – there were no staff. He had to call the gardai himself to have alarm switched off. Owner eventually showed up drunk and was found asleep in lobby next morning!

kilkenny is a splendid spot though and I'm sure there are many great places to stay there besides this decrepid excuse for a guesthouse

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
kildare
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2006

TripAdvisor Member, Kildare, Ireland.
Date:20-02-06.
To All who are thinking about staying in the BROG MAKER,
If there was a rating lower than one yellow dot that's the one I would be marking.

We have just returned from our well deserved weekend break in Kilkenny. It is a beautiful place and everyone should pay this historical city a visit but be warned do not stay in the BROG MAKER. On arrival it seemed like an acceptable B & B, with a decent bar, a substantial food menu and fairly friendly staff.

The dream didn't last. We left our bags in the room and headed into the city for a night out. The bar in the BROG MAKER soon seemed dated, dirty and unwelcoming compared with all the other fablous restaurants and bars only 5 minutes away.

We returned to the BROG MAKER and into our room and soon began to realise just how dirty it really was. The bathroom was filthy, there were cobwebs in the shower, broken glass chippings on the toilet and the radiator was layered with dust.

The bedroom, the carpet had not been hoovered, the dressing table was dusty and splashed with milk or some such liquid! The drawers were dirty and dusty inside and some didn't even have handles so that if you were brave enough to put your smalls into them chances were you wouldn't be able to retrieve them. The duvet cover was worn and to be honest I have never seen threadbare like it. The windows looked like they had not been cleaned since they were installed back in the year dot.There were no extra pillows or blankets, and by God was it cold in there suffice to say the heater was an antique and the dirty windows were not double glazed.

Breakfast. I just could not pick up the courage to have anything but coffee which I would have had in the room had the cups not had the last guests dregs still in them! The chef came out to serve me coffee. Now I am a chef but they are not the people I want to meet first thing in the morning.

I have said enough, hopefully. Maybe my review, long winded as it may be, will save someone the trauma that was "my first night in Kilkenny".

We checked into the large plush hotel just up the road from our heartbreak hotel and we had a wonderful stay.

God help anyone who doesn't trust me on this one.

8 Thank screenelvis