“Excellent Weekend”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Louth
“Excellent Weekend”
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I stayed in the Brog Maker last month. When I recommended the guesthouse for the weekend, my friend looked it up on trip advisor. I was suprised to see some of the reviews and decided to write about my weekend there. When my boyfriend and I arrived on Friday evening we checked in and had a meal in the restaurant. It was excellent so much so that we eat there again on the Saturday night. It was great after the long journey to have a restaurant which such good food so close at hand. The rooms were perfect and very clean. Above all though the staff were so nice and friendly. They did not seem to be able to do enough for us. They were also great in recommending what there was to do and see around the city. I hope this review can be helpful in deciding to stay in Kilkenny (which is a great city to visit.). I think some of your other members must have been very unlucky.

• Liked — Great food and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location of check in area
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank oliviahogan80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
leinster
Reviewed 2 November 2006

In the brog maker in September for a break to kilkenny had our dinner in the restaurant found the menu extensive staff were very friendly the food was fab The rooms were clean and spacious the bathroom was clean and big enough. Mark cant pull a point of guinness. the rooms were cleaned both days.All ready looking forword to our next visit to the brog maker.

• Liked — location,food and staff
  • Disliked — close to main road
  • Tips/Secrets — try midweek
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jarluth
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2006

This was my 2nd trip to this place-1st was bad, it just got worse.Whatever they're paying the cleaner its too much..the toilet leaked and left pools of urine behind it dried in, there was a radiator in the bathroom which was inhabited by an unnatural collection of webs and spiders, the shower hose was so blocked only a dribble of water emerged leaving us in fear of legionaires, bedroom was only vaccumed in the centre, lamp bulb and socket was wrenched out and left in dressingtable drawer???, should I even go on...okay, the sheets were snow white and pressed, the beds were comfortable , the towel s were washed but it could have been better.
The bar was fun and friendly and the food was lovely and really good value, breakfast was hit and miss, we were waved vaguely in the direction of cereal on a table in the middle but we had no cutlery to fill bowls with, this was delivered with a sigh when pointed out , then there was no juice in the jug, the breakfast arrived cooked and was very good but we had to request toast and coffee.
Verdict: this establishment needs a good overhaul and steamclean by a full team of professional contract cleaners then maybe some kind of customer relations course, it was impossible to find someone to check you in or out. Its good value but you really would need a quirky sense of humour and certainly not be hygiene conscious!!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank stevieDublinIreland

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 July 2006

Do not stay here for the following reasons:
-filthy un-hoovered rooms
-filthy unclean bathrooms
-dirty linen stored in hallway
-dark and dingy all over – place hasn’t been aired in years
-pricey compared to the much cleaner B&Bs nearby
-alarm went of night before our stay. A friend was stayingf at the time. The alsrm went off from 4am to 5 am – there were no staff. He had to call the gardai himself to have alarm switched off. Owner eventually showed up drunk and was found asleep in lobby next morning!

kilkenny is a splendid spot though and I'm sure there are many great places to stay there besides this decrepid excuse for a guesthouse

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
kildare
Reviewed 20 February 2006

TripAdvisor Member, Kildare, Ireland.
Date:20-02-06.
To All who are thinking about staying in the BROG MAKER,
If there was a rating lower than one yellow dot that's the one I would be marking.

We have just returned from our well deserved weekend break in Kilkenny. It is a beautiful place and everyone should pay this historical city a visit but be warned do not stay in the BROG MAKER. On arrival it seemed like an acceptable B & B, with a decent bar, a substantial food menu and fairly friendly staff.

The dream didn't last. We left our bags in the room and headed into the city for a night out. The bar in the BROG MAKER soon seemed dated, dirty and unwelcoming compared with all the other fablous restaurants and bars only 5 minutes away.

We returned to the BROG MAKER and into our room and soon began to realise just how dirty it really was. The bathroom was filthy, there were cobwebs in the shower, broken glass chippings on the toilet and the radiator was layered with dust.

The bedroom, the carpet had not been hoovered, the dressing table was dusty and splashed with milk or some such liquid! The drawers were dirty and dusty inside and some didn't even have handles so that if you were brave enough to put your smalls into them chances were you wouldn't be able to retrieve them. The duvet cover was worn and to be honest I have never seen threadbare like it. The windows looked like they had not been cleaned since they were installed back in the year dot.There were no extra pillows or blankets, and by God was it cold in there suffice to say the heater was an antique and the dirty windows were not double glazed.

Breakfast. I just could not pick up the courage to have anything but coffee which I would have had in the room had the cups not had the last guests dregs still in them! The chef came out to serve me coffee. Now I am a chef but they are not the people I want to meet first thing in the morning.

I have said enough, hopefully. Maybe my review, long winded as it may be, will save someone the trauma that was "my first night in Kilkenny".

We checked into the large plush hotel just up the road from our heartbreak hotel and we had a wonderful stay.

God help anyone who doesn't trust me on this one.

8 Thank screenelvis
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 January 2006

This B&B is awful. The rooms are small dark and terribly unhygenic. Bathroom was filthy. Noise was a lso a problem. Didn't even bother to stay for breakfast. Avoid this dump! Stay in the Hotel nearly directly opposite!

Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Geelong Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2005

Spent one night only at the Brog Maker (Boot Maker) hotel in Kilkenny. Booked by someone else for a family reunion. The staff were so helpful and friendly - we ate in the restaurant and the food was really good and plentiful (always important) The bar afterwards had a great vibe and the DJ played songs from many different decades - something to please everyone!! Rooms were very spacious and warm and the bathrooms were terrific. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2005