“5 star service in a 4 star hotel”

Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Was so impressed with this hotel I would recommend it to anyone. Great location, helpful staff and outstanding food. Staff couldn't do enough for us while we where there and extremely reasonable. It's within walking distance to all of Kilkenny's main attractions. Delighted I stayed there and will one hundred percent go there again. Loved the homely feeling and the warmth of the open fire as you go in. Cant fault it, excellent hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank avvydes
corporate4, General Manager at Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Dear awydes,

Thank you so much for your kind comments & delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Its’ always great to hear positive feedback about our staff, I have passed your comments on to them. We love this time of year also with the open fire; next week we will be putting up our Christmas decorations so if you are in Kilkenny in the coming weeks please do call in & enjoy a glass of mulled wine by the Christmas tree in Hibernian Bar. Thank you again for taking the time to write to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed here recently and had a great time. Rooms were very good, staff very helpful and curtious and a great location in the heart of Kilkenny.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diarmuid M

Dear Diamruid M,
Its’ great to hear that you enjoyed your break in our hotel. We are indeed very lucky with our central location being on the doorstep of Kilkenny Castle, the shops of High Street and of course our proximity to the many great bars, restaurants & late night venues in Kilkenny. Hope to see you back in Kilkenny again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed here during a driving trip. Location smack bang in the centre of Kilkenny which makes it ideal. Staff curtious, food of a good standard and served on a hot plate which makes a difference. The hotel and room were spotless and the bar was very cosy with its log fire.

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing onto Patrick street as it can get a bit noisy at closing time
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dubbhoy

Dear dubbhoy,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your visit to Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel, it is greatly appreciated. Your kind words will be shared with the all the staff. Glad to hear that our policy of ‘warm food must ALWAYS be served on a warm plate’ is being adhered to. Our hotel is in an ideal location in terms of soaking up the lively atmosphere of Kilkenny’s vibrant nightlife, however weekends are very busy in Kilkenny and as our hotel is located in the heart of the city some of the rooms facing the front of hotel do unfortunately experience street noise which is regrettably outside of our control. The next time you visit us please mention when making your reservation that you would like to stay in a room which is not facing on to the street and we will do our utmost to facilitate this request and allocate you to a room at the back of the hotel. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back to Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel again in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Had a pub lunch at the Hibernian Hotel on Sunday 30th, were only having a sandwich but expected something nice because of the Gastro Pub of the Year flags outside. My friend waited nearly 30 minutes for her sandwich which was only ok, nothing special with a few tiny french fries. I was supposed to get a ham salad sandwich which consisted of a slice of ham between two slices of bread and a little bowl of salad, ham looked like it was out of a pack. On Saturday we had lunch in the Left Bank across the road where my friend had a ham panini with gorgeous thick slices of home cooked ham and I had a lovely seafood chowder. We waited so long in The Hibernian and had to remind the staff that we had ordered that I really felt it was not worth the wait, try the Left Bank which is not any cheaper but much better value for money because the food is far superior.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
JohnMcNena, General Manager at Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2011

Dear TravelotsCorkIreland,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for what seems to have been a disappointing experience at Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel. Having investigated your comments thoroughly I have established that it was extremely busy in Hibernian Bar on this day however this is no excuse for you having to wait an extended period for your lunch and I can assure you that this is definitely not par for the service and quality standards we adhere to. If you could contact me directly either on 056 777 1888 or gm@kilkennyhibernianhotel.com I would be very happy to discuss your comments above in more detail. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 October 2011

I was lucky enough to get a room at the last minute at this wonderful hotel, I stayed in the Penthouse, and I was spoiled with the luxurious accomadation. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is of a very high standard and very affordable. This hotel is right in the heart of the City, minutes away from the shops. bars and cafes of the city. I am looking forward to going back there early next year.

Room Tip: This is a beautiful old building with all mod cons. On this visit I stayed in the Penthouse, which w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear KARMADUBLIN,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us; I will happily pass on your kind words to our staff. Our philosophy on the food we serve in Hibernian Bar and City Bar & Grill is ‘use the best seasonal local ingredients to create classic dishes at affordable prices’, so it is wonderful to hear that you did indeed experience this guarantee & we delivered in terms of quality, service & affordability. Most of all, I am pleased that you are going to return to stay with us again next year.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was sick the night I stayed here and had to leave party I was with to go back to room. Staff couldn't have been more accomodating, delivering my dinner to my room and outside of room service hours dropping up water for me. Reception were so friendly on check in too. Just don't come here at weekend for quiet night in as directly over nightclub. Perfect location. Walking distance to all pubs/clubs

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Southeastfoodie
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights.The hotel is in a great location, right opposite the castle. We had a little baby with us so we were hoping to have a mini fridge and kettle in our room to make and store bottles. Alas, there weren't any of these 'utinsils', However, the hotel staff were so friendly and helpful and had no problem storing bottles in the hotel kitchen fridge and running up and down to our room with bottles. They were very good indeed. The breakfast was very tasty but the food down in the bar was fabulous - definitely eat here if you can. Another small teeny tiny mark down was lack of little things like a shower cap

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family