“Super”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Portlaoise, Ireland
“Super”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Landed hear by chance after the staff in Langtons decided to treat us like garbage, the staff were so warm and welcoming no problem we could join the residents for breakfast the choice was great and the food was great, just what we needed after our battering at the hands of langtons divas well done

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MaryP48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after a couple of nights in another 4 star hotel and this didn't match up at all. It's a very nice hotel and the staff were excellent. The room service prices are far to high. The fire alarm went off at 5am.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Toothpick0950
Northen ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Had a great stay in this lovely hotel in kilkenny!! Friendly staff, clean room & brilliant breakfast n bar snacks!! Would defo go back to this hotel! (Location makes it!!)

Room Tip: Rooms at back hotel may be best! (This is where i was located)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for a two night break in a twin room. The hotel has a nice old feel which I really like and its the same with the rooms. They are basic but have everything that you need in them. The staff are really nice too and they have nice bar food and restaurant. The location is what makes it. Its perfect and within walking distance to everything. Would def stay again if I was returning to Kilkenny.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank honeydroptravels
Clane, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Staff was nice and helpful. Deluxe Double Room was specious, clean and beautiful. Great location in city centre.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank madzia971
Bordeaux, France & Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I have to say I am very surprised from the recent excellent reviews this hotel has received.

I checked into this hotel at the last minute with 2 other friends (June '12). We had spent the previous night in the Kilkenny Ormond next door for the Cats Laughs festival. We were enjoying the weekend so much that we extended our stay. Unfortunately at the last minute the Kilkenny Ormond was fully booked so we checked in here. The receptionist at the time was very friendly (which makes the rest of our nightmare a shame because it seemed to start well).

We were given a twin room and a double room. The twin room was ok (room 140), early 2000s decor, dark green, dim lights, heavy carpet. It was very stuffy overnight and myself and my friend had a cold/sore throat by the next morning as a result. We didn't leave the balcony door/window open as it was just above the nightclub/late night bar). We arrived late in our room so I cannot say if noise would be an issue during the night.Thou it wasn't too bad.

My friend's room however was not ok. The bed cover was a little dirty/old looking. The window did not close at all (room 129). It worried her as there was a roof outside and therefore possible for somebody to climb into her room from outside. She asked to change it for another room. A porter came and looked at it...it was obvious that there was damage to the window latch and it wouldn't close. He suggested another room (he said that the bed was abit unmade as someone had been in the room earlier and decided to move). That rang alarm bells and I suggested to my friend to look at the room before moving her things. I didn't see the room but apparently neither the door or the window closed this time. Somebody could open the door into the room from the hallway and it did not shut (it was obvious it was open from the hallway). My friend was then moved to the penthouse (room 320) by a 2nd porter.

It was about midnight by the time our rooms were sorted. We went out for last order drinks in town. We came back to the hotel but were refused to be let in. Our names were on the list but due to my friend being moved rooms the room numbers didn't correspond. The bouncers refused and we tried to explain this to porter number 1 (who had seen us in our room about 1 hour beforehand and moved my friend to the other dodgy room). I could not believe the same guy was just letting her in but not the other two. I was so scared they would not let us back into the hotel and all my belongings were inside. The bouncers said she was not in 320 (the penthouse either). Eventually we saw porter number 2 who had moved my friend to the penthouse room (320) and he said we were staying there. We went to the late night bar for drinks as porter 2 thought it was quite and we would not have "hassle" (oh how ironic looking back).

The late night bar of the hotel closed and we wanted to go to the residence bar....again we had the same trouble getting back into the main hotel reception area by the "same" porter 1 and bouncer....I couldn't believe we were having the same problem. Yet again I managed to flag down porter 2 walking by and he again confirmed that we were staying in the hotel.

So then to the residence bar. We got drinks...then at about 3 am they closed the residence bar. I wanted a cup of tea as there was no kettle in the room. The barman would not serve me tea...I replied with "but there is no kettle in the bedroom to make tea". He replied with..."oh your staying in the hotel, i will double check". He went to porter 1 and got the list....we again gave our names..they were on the list but again due to the room changes didnt correspond to the new rooms we were staying in. He said "oh your not staying here and to think I was going to serve you tea". Then porter 1 came in and said we were staying in the hotel.

They told us "the drinks are on the house" due to the mix ups we had. I just wanted tea, but since they said they were giving us free drinks I got a beer. When we each had a beer, porter 1 said "pay up"!!!! And then the barman too!. I was shocked as they are said 3 times that the drinks were on the house. We had no problem paying and my friend gave them money, but they were still shouting at us to pay up. We were motified and embarrassed in front of everybody in the bar.

I waited for porter 2 to return to the reception. I explained the situation that occurred in the bar. He agreed that after the night we had we should have been given free drinks as an apology. Porter 1 came out to the reception and went to get the barman to "confirm we wouldnt pay for the drinks". Thankfully porter 2 told him to go away and listened to our story. Porter 2 offered us more drinks but at that stage I didnt even want the drink we had just paid for. He said he would explain the situation to the receptionist.

The next morning we went to breakfast. I am vegetarian, but I still wanted a hot cooked breakfast (tomato, mushrooms, 2 eggs etc). I was given the same as my friends except minus the meat...there could have been some extra mushrooms etc to make it more full. The "orange juice" was concentrated squash which I just couldnt drink and had to just have water. It was ok but could have been better with real orange juice. Although I was still in shock from the night before and being refused entry/shouted at by porter 1.

After breakfast we went to the receptionist who was very nice. She said that porter 2 had told her what happened and she apologised. She said she would ring us in our room. However when she did they just offered us a round of drinks and 10 euro off (we had already paid for the room and i was driving so we didnt accept the offer). She said the manager would ring us back as they never did.

It was a shame our weekend ended so badly after having a great time the previous night in the Kilkenny Ormonde hotel next door. The door people had very little people skills. I understand that it was a busy weekend and many people tried to get into the hotel for late night drinks....but to refuse us back into our rooms (3 times) or to serve us "tea" and then try to trick us into buying drinks while shouting at us, was just my worse experience in my life.

The rest of the staff were fine and it was a shame that the bouncers/porter 1 were in charge of the hotel with a bad attitude at night!!! It ruined my whole experience and memory of staying here. There is no way the hotel could continue with such staff at night time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Magnetic_Travels
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here last weekend for two nights. Ideal as in the centre of the town. Staff are excellent, very friendly and very efficient. Rooms are basic,but serve the purpose, could do with an upgrade. The bathroom we had was not great, shower was over the bath which had a very unusual piece of metal sticking out of the wall which sprinkled water. No vent to let steam out so the bathroom was steamed to bits by the time you finished.

Room service: If you wish to order breakfast to your room, on the order card in our room it stated the charge was 14 euro per person, when i queried the price with reception they said it was a misprint and it should read 4.00 euro - in my opinion this guests should be advised of this when checking in or else cards should be removed (even typex the 1 out)....

There is also no kettle in the room - when i asked reception about this they said they were aware of it but that complimentary tea/coffee is available upon request...........again we were notified of this when checking in.

Overall, I would stay in the hotel again, ideal location in centre of town, clean and as mentioned staff cannot do enough to help you enjoy your stay and are friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends