Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel
Troysgate House(Kilkenny)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)
View Hotel
All reviewsleft banklate barthe penthousecentral locationlovely hotelcentre of towncar parkhen partywould highly recommend this hotellovely roombreakfast was includedtop classhotel barenjoyed my staylast weekendtwo night staycooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Great location across from the Left Bank. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom size was fine. Room decor was lovely but had challenges figuring out how to turn off certain lights and to locate the hair dryer (bad hair dryer). Staff were great and very helpful. Very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Didn't stay here but called in for drinks. A great location in the middle of town in a heritage type of building that is quite imposing. This place was buzzing with what seemed to be a lot of sports teams and mainly males. Still an entertaining place to come for a drink and enjoy the fun. Not for a romantic night though.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JacquesSydney
Reviewed 28 August 2014

overnighted here last night. Very central location with parking close by. Comfortable room,good food,great staff. Great music pub ,The Field , almost next door. Whats not to like / Looking forward to next visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vincent o
Reviewed 28 August 2014

old nice bildingin the center of a small nice irish town.
rooms are cleane nice and the staf is helpful. in the lobi a nice pub but not for food.
the price is perfect. and the location un the center with a free parking

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank galinzvi
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed one night on a Saturday with my boyfriend. Had very high hopes for a great room after forking out €160 for a "King Size Room". Wouldn't usually pay these prices anywhere else so not sure why Kilkenny Hibernian seems to have such an inflated opinion of themselves.

Arrived to reception and checked in which was fine. Made my way up to the room and noted quite a dated decor in the hallways which should have been an indication as to what my room would be like. Walked into the room and was shocked at the quality and condition it was in.

First of all, a King Size room means a king size double bed - it does not mean two twin beds pushed together with an uncomfortable separator down the middle. The wallpaper was not only dated but dirty, grimy and tattered in places. I seem to remember a hole in the wall also. Despite having asked for a quiet room not facing the street, the room was bang smack in the middle of the main square/road outside.

Moving onto the bathroom, well if the shower itself wasn't enough to put me off (NOT electric, drippy water and barely tepid) then the exposed wires at the opposite end of the shower most definitely were. A serious danger to any guest surely?

Despite this poor start, we made the best of a bad situation and went off to the event and returned at 11pm to go to bed. There was a party/nightclub situation going on downstairs which fair enough was probably noted on the website and I had perhaps not noticed. It was all a bit Copper Face Jacks for my liking. The noise continued all night with our sleep disrupted regularly and any bit of comfort found was quickly zapped from the hard uncomfortable bed.

We went to reception the following morning extremely pissed off. I'm not one to complain at a hotel but I just felt everything I experienced was not that of a 4 star hotel - and the price we paid for one night was insane. I can't remember if breakfast was included in this, perhaps it was. I voiced my concerns politely to the receptionist who to be fair was clearly not one to be making the decisions. I asked to speak a supervisor to spare the poor girl of our angry complaints. She said nobody was available and that she would take our details. I said I did not feel the room met the standards of what the price clearly set out. I said that I did not feel it would be appropriate to pay that price based on what I had experienced. I made it very clear we expected some form of a refund and yet she refused. We were not given a refund, nor were we were given a reduced rate. We were told she pass our details to the manager and she could issue a gift voucher to us for another stay in the future. She did not give us the gift voucher there and then. SO we basically left with nothing other than a feeling of being seriously ripped off.

A few weeks later after no follow up call, I received a voucher. Now I don't know who the Hibernian Hotel managers are, but anyone who thinks a voucher for a standard room to be used Sunday-Thursday clearly is not with it. I am an office worker, who works Monday-Friday. Any weekend trips I would take for a city break would therefore be at the weekend. I felt cheated, ripped off and even more frustrated. Never again will I stay here, and furthermore I would recommend that you do not stay here. Despite its central location it just is not worth a cent of what we paid for our room. Avoid this hotel unless late night discos are your thing.

Despite Kilkenny being the beautiful vibrant city it is, our experience was ruined. Would recommend staying anywhere else in order to enjoy the city.

Room Tip: Can't remember the room number but it was high up- it did not have less noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple