“very poor room” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Kells, Ireland
“very poor room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed with wife & 2 kids for 3 long nights. Family room number 123. 4 foot 6 matress on a 4 foot base. Hollow in middle of bed. Small bits of rubbish under beds, needs a hell of a good cleaning. Ensuite door handle broken. Toilet roll holder hanging off wall. Shower handle broken and what was left was hanging off. Toilet seat could do with been replaced. Food was good in both bar and lounge, staff were nice and efficient. Someone went to the bother of putting fresh flowers in the restaurant and gents toilets but unfortunately they were 2 days late in removing the dead flowers. How can you "clean" somewhere and "miss" the vase of dead flowers. Leisure center was ok, nothing brilliant. I will not be back and will discourage others

1 Thank William M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We booked a three night stay here to include one evening meal for myself my husband and our four year old son. Upon arrival the first thing I noticed when we parked was the windows looked filthy and I got a sinking feeling as to how the inside would be if they didnt keep up with upkeep on the outside! We checked in at reception, very nice friendly lady - we went to our room and immediately rang reception to be moved. It was a ground floor room stinking of smoke. My four year old son commented on the nasty smell! FInd it very strange that a hotel will put a family and a pregnant guest in a smoking room? Anyway, we got moved to a room upstairs, exact same layout but minus the smoke. Very disappointing rooms. The furniture is disgraceful wood peeling off the units, filthy carpets that I would not walk in my bare feet in - bathroom very very small and not clean at all. Very dark room and one pillow per guest that is as flat as a pancake! My idea of staying in a hotel is for it to be a bit luxurious and comfy! We stayed out as long as possible every day, only returning to go to bed! It would not the type of room that makes you feel relaxed or comfortable. The corridors on the way to the rooms are filthy, they should invest in a hoover for the stairs. Breakfast in the mornings was ok, I just stuck to cereal after the first morning as the sausages looked very wrinkly and scrambled eggs were dripping with water! We ate in the restaurant the second night and the food was good, the waitress wasnt so good, but we didnt say anything, we just had to ask for our drinks about 4 times before they actually arrived - by this stage our main was being served. The kids club probably parents with older kids would appreciate, we only brought our son for a half an hour or so of the movie or disco night, but really it wasnt what we were there for so I wont comment on the kids club. Overall though this hotel definitely needs a revamp and definitely needs a good clean and rooms re-decorated. They may be cheaper that other hotels but still I would expect a lot more for what we paid for our stay. Very disappointing and we certainly wont be returning..

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

The rooms were great, food was good but not great. Whole experience was ruined by the AWFUL staff. Having worked in a hotel, I cannot believe the staff in this place. Sorry the receptionists were very nice. The bar staff, not the function bar staff but the staff in their main bar were just awful. I could see they were understaffed as it was a busy Sunday but those that were there were not very helpful, I was trying to order food and they kept pointing out a waitress that would take my order, this girl seemed to be walking laps of the bar and kept walking in and out the door and in and out of the kitchen, eventually the man behind the bar grudgingly took my order as it was obvious this girl was not going to, mind you he did wait about 15 minutes to do so. Then I got my food which was nice but there was not a lot of it and I was left hungry. We then attended a function there that night, the menu was great but again the staff were not, we asked for some bread for our table as we had been missed when they were giving out bread baskets, the waitress got very defensive and said she had not only brought us bread but also brought us extra bread, even though if she had bothered to pay any attention, none of our side plates had been used, clearly we had not got any bread, but after we explained this to her she brought us bread but did not apologize for her behaviour. The staff were helpful however in providing plain ice cream to some guests that did not want the dessert. My real problem with the staff occured the next day at breakfast. One member of staff, an older member, who wore a suit, female, and appeared to be some kind of manager or supervisor told me I could not come to breakfast in my night attire (I was wearing tracksuit bottoms and a tank top). At first I thought she was joking but it soon became apparent she was not. I have worked in hotels, if a customer decides to wear a santa costume to breakfast I cannot stop them. I could not believe I was actually treated like this. However another waitress at breakfast was very nice to me after this situation. I will NEVER return to this hotel after this situation at breakfast alone. I think this hotel should hold some serious staff training and should teach their staff to appreciate all the customers they get. There are plenty of people out their looking for jobs.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Badly lit rooms. had to borrow plug in lamp .light over hand basin did not work .
Carpets were badly stained. quilt on bed was worn.
The furniture was very badly chipped.

Stayed here before and it was really enjoyable. Gone downhill big time since.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kildare, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

My family and I stayed here on a family trip to celebrate my Mam's 60th Birthday, there was 14 of us in total. I think overall you get what you pay for. We got a good price for 3 nights B&B and dinner. The 2 family rooms were big & spacious (1 with 2 singles & 1 double, the other with 3 singles & 1 double), however the 3 double rooms were very small. Ours especially as we had 2 adults & our son who's 3 so we found the room very small. The bathrooms all need a thorough clean and we had chipped furniture in our room. My Mother also got a smoking room even though she's a non-smoker - they should really ask which guests prefer. However I cant fault the friendliness of all the staff and all the children in our group loved the pool. The lobby area is also large which is good for families in the evenings.

Doneraile, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Hotel needs a good cleaning throughout. The bedroom was adequate but carpet, windows ,curtains and bedspread was dirty. The sink and toilet was not properly cleaned. Also all the plates in the dining room had a scum on them, food was ok. The hotel is in a good location but has no style about it. There was one member of staff who was very friendly and helpful. Have stayed in other three star hotels which were much more up market and of better standard. Would not choose this hotel again in future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

just back today from springhill court and couldnt wait to review it after all the bad reviews i read ! how can reviews be so varied ??
myself, husband and 2 kids 7 and 4 loved it. my son cried leaving after meeting good friends there. the free kids club was the hi light . kids looked after from 6 to 10 while parents have well deserved break. kids loved lenny the lion who visits dining room while kids at breakfast.
food was gorgeous and availed of early bird menu which was great. 4 course for 20 euro.
ok i would agree with some reviewers that they could step up on housekeeping (bit of hoovering!) but small price to pay for happy kids which make happy parents !!!

Room Tip: ask for non smoking room and if light sleeper away from main road . v busy road even at night