“Disgusting, dirty, disappointing for the high prices charged.”

Springhill Court Conference, Leisure & Spa Hotel
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Northern Ireland
“Disgusting, dirty, disappointing for the high prices charged.”
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed here for the bank holiday weekend and came to Kilkenny for the Blues and Roots festival. I booked 2 days pror to arriving, and was charged £185 for 2 nights and thought this was reasonable due to the swimming pool and gym included.
I was given a room on the ground floor, just past the restaurant with the corridor smelling strongly of food wafting from the kitchen, with the fire exit door wedged open and stafff continually coming to and from the kitchen and restaurant. I had to squeeze past babies high chairs to get to my room.
On first entering my room I was hit with the strong, stale smell of smoke. The room was extremely dirty, stained walls, carpets, curtains and dusty floor. Within miuntes I was wheezing from the dust and stuffy atmosphere. The bed was soft and uncomfortable. When I opened the bedside locker, the handle was sticky and greasy and obviously had not been cleaned for a considerable amount of time.
I contacted reception to complain and ask for another room but was told the hotel was fully booked up that night, but offered a change of room the following night. On my request a surly housekeeper cleaned the sticky and dusty surfaces, making a minimal difference. I asked the house-keeper whether the rooms were any better on the upper floors, but was told, 'No, they're pretty much all the same in the hotel'. Things were not looking good.
I tried to make the best of a bad situation and make a cup of tea. The inside of the kettle was swimming in a black substance and was the most disgusting kettle I've ever seen. On my request again, the manager came to my room, apologised and muttered something about this not being their usual standards, offered to reduce the room to 65euro for the night and sent me a plate of the most disgusting sandwiches which I could not eat.
From reading the hotel website I was under the impression the swimming pool was private and for resident use only. This was not the case - The swimming pool and jacuzzi were open to the public and full of people and young kids screaming. The reception did not have any flip=flops for sale in the pool area, and as I had forgotton to take flip-flops withg me, did not want to risk walking bare-foot, due to the amount of people and poor standards of cleanliness in the rooms.
I ended up staying with my 2 friends in their beautiful room in the RiverCourt Hotel which was a world away in standards. This was because I literally could not breathe in my room and was starting to get an allergic reaction on my skin. I was also close to tears, having travelled so far to this hotel for what I thought would be a relaxing, quiet weekend.
I returned to the following day to the hotel to find the uneaten sandwiches congealed on a plate, with the room obviously having not been cleaned. I had no choice but to stay for the second night and simply could not be bothered moving to an equally poor standardd of room. I left early the next morning on my second day after breakfast which was surprisingly good.
I have travelled to hotels all over the world and found this to be one of the worst. I cannot understand why it is still classed as a 3 star, when it should not even be given 2 stars?
Over the weekend my room was not cleaned, vacuumed or serviced once? Why are people still going to this hotel??

Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
killarney
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stayed at the Springhill Court Hotel some time back. I booked in with three other members of my family as we were attednding a relatives weddding there the following day. We were late arriving as we had to travel a few hours to get there after work. The hotel was extremely busy as they had a wedding that day and another one booked for the following day which we were attending. Upon checking in everything seemed ok until we went to find our rooms. The door to the first room we were given was held open with some towels. There was no bed cover on the bed and the toilet had vomit down the side of it. Housekeeping came in the mean time with a bed cover which they put on which had three cigarette burns in the middle of it. The second room had vomit right outside the door along the wall and onto the carpet. In the second room the curtains were hanging loose in parts from the rail. The base of the single bed was cracked in half which led the bed to be sagging in the middle. Outside the door of the bathroom the carpet had shrank back an inch from the wall which was probably due to the shower which had a shower curtain over a tray which was a foot from the bottom of the shower tray so when you turned on the shower the water was flowin out under the ensuite door. We immediately went back to reception to let them know this was unacceptable. They had only 1 other room available which they gave us. This room had blood on the side of the bath and on the tile next to the toilet which we were later informed was varnish. The room had no toilet paper and we had to ask reception three times for more. We were told dinner was on the house that night to compensate us in some way so we went direct to the dinning room where a rude waitress informed us that they were finished serving unless we had a reservation and as she did not have our names she could not serve us. Finally after contacting the supervisor on duty again we were served with a free bottle of wine. The following day we were all moved to much better rooms and all seemed well. Upon check out the receptionist wanted to charge us in full for our two night stay. We refused to pay in full for the first night so we asked to speak to the manager. He came out of his office and asked the problem. I informed him we were not happy due to the rooms we were given the first night and he told me immediately that he was not happy either. He said we had been nothing but trouble since we arrived so pay for last night and get out of this hotel and do not come back.
This was the first time we had met this man. He did not ask once what our problems had been.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Excellent hotel, it is situated on the outskirts of this beautiful small city. The staff were very helpful from the receptionist/bar/restaurant and management iwhich gives the hotel a very welcoming air. The rooms were very comfortable. The food for breakfast was excellent and the dinner menu is varied and very tasty. The hotel reception area is airy and a comfortable place to sit and relax. The leisure centre has all the required and the pool is lovely. The jacuzzi, sauna and steam room couldn't be faulted. I really enjoyed my stay and would be more than happy to recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I recently had to attend a function in this hotel, and was staying in Kilkenny overnight. As we had small children I wanted to stay in the hotel where the function was taking place. The hotel was very busy and heavily booked for a March weekend but we managed to secure one of the last available rooms. When one arrives to a hotel knowing they are fully booked, and very busy - you are apprehensive and expect only the worst - However, Staff were very relaxed, Cordial & Politely... Everyone was smiling and Irish! OF which both were added bonus's .... Our room was bright and well presented.. a house keeping issue of an extra rollaway for our son was sorted promptly & efficiently.
The Bar staff despite being busy were very friendly and eager to assist with any requests - notably Paudge was a welcome attribute for the Springhill following a stressful journey down with two small children and setting off later than planned!!! He soon had us all relaxed and chatting ...
The restaurant exceeded expectations, again with very corteous staff to assist..

I would highly recommend the Springhill Court Hotel for couples, families, or any business travellers to Kilkenny. We have recommended this hotel to our friends since our return, and likewise they too, have found a very welcoming experience awaiting them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2010

After reading the reviews I was so disappointed, however the staff were friendly and helpful. The entrance of the hotel looks nice. Bedroom was small and dark. Bathroom was very tiny - the bed was awful will need to be replaced. Swimming pool good but gym okay. I would not stay here again as I do like nice modern rooms with plenty of space. No wifi in bedrooms either

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Just back from a stay in the Springhill court as the kids are off school. Must say I could not fault it, great entertainment for the kids, free kids club each day with this Lenny Lion character which my kids wanted to bring home with them! Once the kids are happy we're happy so must say we all had a ball. Got a great midweek deal, staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Will def go back there for Summer, it's the ideal place for kids and food etc. excellent too.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Kerry
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Fantastic Value, Fantastic Staff, Fantastic Amenities, Fantastic Craic and a Fantastic Kids Club... We booked this bank holiday last minute and with thanks to “Lenny” had a wonderful break for all of us - the Kids lived in the Kids Club with “Lenny the Lion” leaving us time in relax in the Spa/Pool, Restaurant and Bar at night with good live music.... All the staff are really nice and terribly friendly... They looked after our Children who made loads of friend over the weekend and had a ball… Kilkenny as a city obviously has loads to offer so no need to tell you about that…. Our 1st time in this Hotel and we will be back… If you have Kids, then you will be delighted you have chosen this Kid Friendly hotel to stay in. They could not do enough for us. Thank you to Seamus and all his team… Fred

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family