I stayed here for the bank holiday weekend and came to Kilkenny for the Blues and Roots festival. I booked 2 days pror to arriving, and was charged £185 for 2 nights and thought this was reasonable due to the swimming pool and gym included.
I was given a room on the ground floor, just past the restaurant with the corridor smelling strongly of food wafting from the kitchen, with the fire exit door wedged open and stafff continually coming to and from the kitchen and restaurant. I had to squeeze past babies high chairs to get to my room.
On first entering my room I was hit with the strong, stale smell of smoke. The room was extremely dirty, stained walls, carpets, curtains and dusty floor. Within miuntes I was wheezing from the dust and stuffy atmosphere. The bed was soft and uncomfortable. When I opened the bedside locker, the handle was sticky and greasy and obviously had not been cleaned for a considerable amount of time.
I contacted reception to complain and ask for another room but was told the hotel was fully booked up that night, but offered a change of room the following night. On my request a surly housekeeper cleaned the sticky and dusty surfaces, making a minimal difference. I asked the house-keeper whether the rooms were any better on the upper floors, but was told, 'No, they're pretty much all the same in the hotel'. Things were not looking good.
I tried to make the best of a bad situation and make a cup of tea. The inside of the kettle was swimming in a black substance and was the most disgusting kettle I've ever seen. On my request again, the manager came to my room, apologised and muttered something about this not being their usual standards, offered to reduce the room to 65euro for the night and sent me a plate of the most disgusting sandwiches which I could not eat.
From reading the hotel website I was under the impression the swimming pool was private and for resident use only. This was not the case - The swimming pool and jacuzzi were open to the public and full of people and young kids screaming. The reception did not have any flip=flops for sale in the pool area, and as I had forgotton to take flip-flops withg me, did not want to risk walking bare-foot, due to the amount of people and poor standards of cleanliness in the rooms.
I ended up staying with my 2 friends in their beautiful room in the RiverCourt Hotel which was a world away in standards. This was because I literally could not breathe in my room and was starting to get an allergic reaction on my skin. I was also close to tears, having travelled so far to this hotel for what I thought would be a relaxing, quiet weekend.
I returned to the following day to the hotel to find the uneaten sandwiches congealed on a plate, with the room obviously having not been cleaned. I had no choice but to stay for the second night and simply could not be bothered moving to an equally poor standardd of room. I left early the next morning on my second day after breakfast which was surprisingly good.
I have travelled to hotels all over the world and found this to be one of the worst. I cannot understand why it is still classed as a 3 star, when it should not even be given 2 stars?
Over the weekend my room was not cleaned, vacuumed or serviced once? Why are people still going to this hotel??
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the 3 star Newly Refurbished Springhill Court Hotel Kilkenny your break begins from the moment you leave home. Set out on your journey stress free knowing that we are easily accessible, have ample free car parking on site and complimentary wifi. The Springhill Court Hotel in Kilkenny is one of the best known hotels and if it is Kilkenny hotels you are looking for then look no further! Once you have arrived in Kilkenny City you can begin to enjoy our superb hotel facilities which include Lavender Spa, Kupp Coffee Dock, Leisure Club, Image Hair Salon, Oscars Restaurant, popular Paddock Bar, new Children's Playground and Lenny Lion's Kids Club which operates during all school holidays. Friendly, efficient staff are at your disposal for the duration of your stay. We pride ourselves on our standards of service and customer care, many guests return time and again to soak up the genuine, friendly atmosphere that prevails at the Springhill Court Hotel Kilkenny. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Springhill Court Conference, Leisure & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Court Conference, Leisure Hotel Kilkenny
- Springhill Court Conference, Leisure And Spa Hotel
- Springhill Court Kilkenny
- Hotel Springhill Court