“great setting”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed there last week with the family, had a great time, loved the pool as nice and quiet so screaming with fun 20 month old had a blast!!! Food was lovely on all meals, coloring books for little one too, Most staff were so nice and helpful with everything. Would definitely stay there again if back down that way. Rooms were really nice too and great views of the castle. Thanks very much for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank zzoesph
Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have been to Rivercourt 4 weekends this year so far and can highly recommend it as a lovely weekend break. The hotel is right in the centre of Kilkenny which is fantastic, you can stroll everywhere, loads of parking onsite, only €2 a night or something like that which is for nothing! The hotel itself is lovely, bedrooms nice, bright and big, the swimming pool and therapy rooms are the perfect treat to yourself, they do great deals on therapies but book in advance as she is usually busy. i just love this hotel and Kilkenny, only an hour from Dublin but you feel like you are a million miles away, staff always pleasant and service great, room service always quick...an FYI summer months are big hen party/stag party w'ends in Kilkenny, Im waiting until October now for my next trip down, they should have eased a bit by then...

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard or castle view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel is in a wonderful setting, along the river and across from Kilkenny castle. Service in the hotel is very good and rooms are very nice and comfortable. The bar and restaurant provide nice dining experiences. The hotel has a fitness room, rare for hotels in Ireland. I stayed in one of only 2 rooms along the river with a balcony on Friday and Saturday nights, paying a significant premium for the room. The views from the room were gorgeous. I was warned about noise from weddings those evenings upon check-in. I had no idea that the levels of noise would be so severe both nights, lasting until late into the morning!! The receptions are held in the areas along the river, much of which is outside. On Friday night, the band played VERY loudly until 2 a.m. There was no chance of sleep until then. It was like a sound assault. Even afterward, persons lingered outside and spoke loudly for a couple of more hours. On Saturday night, the music was somewhat more tolerable. However, there were many partiers that hung out until 5.am, with no consideration for those trying to sleep nearby. An exacerbating problem is that the rooms are not air-conditioned. I had to keep my balcony door and window open in order to maintain a tolerable room temperature. On top of that, the castle wall on the other side of the river echoes all sounds from both sides of the river toward the hotel. It's unconscionable that a hotel would subject its guests to such a situation. A written warning upon check-in is more an insult than help. There should be feedback when the reservation is made with honest assessment of the risk to sleep and comfort. The hotel could take other steps: provide air conditioning to the rooms; do not book rooms on the river side of the hotel to non-event guests; restrict music to closed rooms; terminate events at midnight; forbid access to veranda areas after 2 a.m.; be more proactive about security monitoring of the outdoor areas after 2 a.m. The hotel wants to have want their cake and to eat it too, booking events and filling their hotel and bar areas. Instead, they risk alienating travellers. They alienated me. There are many other good hotel options in the very very charming town of Kilkenny. At the minimum, persons considering booking in this otherwise very nice hotel should assess the risk of noise and book room location accordingly.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms along the river, which are subject to intolerable amounts of noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kc2200
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights mid July for our sisters 50th Birthday. The hotel is lovely and is situated along the river with lovely area to sit outside. Our room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. We had dinner in hotel one night which was delicious, breakfasts on both mornings were lovely, buffet style with a good choice, staff were friendly and helpful. We treated ourselves to massages and facials which were both excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. Location is fantastic, literally 1 min walk from the main hub of Kilkenny,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We had a lovely weekend away in the Kilkenny Rover Court. The hotel itself is very pleasant but the staff were the standout feature. So friendly in all departments - better than some 5 star establishments we have visited. Breakfast was fine but could have been better. The leisure centre is basic enough compared to standards elsewhere but the staff made up for it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here for one night. The rooms were fine, and the hotel had notices up alerting guests that there was a wedding on and inviting them to request a quiet room if they wished. We did make that request, and the rooms were quiet. The setting is lovely, we had a brilliantly sunny day and loved sitting out by the river, watching the young lads jump off the bridge into the river. However there was no table service and I wondered about the solo guest, not me this time but I often am on my own, he or she would have to leave their table to go in to the bar to order a drink or a meal, and lose their table or their personal possessions if they left them so as to keep the table - very strange.

We decided to have some food off the bar menu, as we were going to the theatre and in a hurry. The menu read very well, and prices seemed reasonable. So we went in and queued up at the self service counter. Oh dear. No one to serve us for several minutes, which allowed us to examine the food, which had been there a long time, was cold and looked extremly unappetising. Another woman, not one of our party, we are not that cheeky, took a roast potato to sample and said 'well don't have those, they are cold'. The roast of the day looked very sad. A grumpy young man arrived, the 'chef', and proceeded to microwave the food. The fired fish for the fish and chips was microwaved!! I decided to have a salad as that seemed safest, and asked for a different dressing to the one on the menu, and met a sigh and eyes turned to heaven. When we got back to the table we agreed that had the food been served up to us without us having seen the food counter, it would have seemed OKish. However as it was we felt the re heated food was not a wise option, and we would never eat there again, in spite of the lovely setting. What a shame,and inexplicable why a hotel like this would let itself down so dreadfully badly, and allow guests to see very clearly that it was doing so!

At breakfast there was the usual fry, cereals, fresh fruit salad. I asked where there any cheeses or meats, as I don't eat a fry, and was told that they had some in the kitchen but they did not put them out because not many people ask for them! A 4 star hotel? So they brought me two slices of cheddar.

So stay here for sure, the staff were very nice, the rooms were fine, breakfast was plentiful if you like fried food, the location is very central, the view from the terrace is lovely,... but eat somewhere else, I am sure there are lots of nice restaurants in Kilkenny, but sadly few or none with such a charming location.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room but only if there is no function on. Otherwise ask for a quiet rooma dn yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed at the River Court Hotel on Monday night last 13 August with my Mum and sister for one night. Have been there previously on numerous occasions but not for over a year. We were in a triple room which was really beatufiul and spacious, The atmosphere was most relaxing, The staff were friendly with the exception of the night porter. A friend of mine joined us for a drink and we ordered our last drink in the bar at 12 midnight and then moved out to the Foyer as was requested by one of the bar staff. My Mum and sister had gone to bed but I was chatting to my friend in the Foyer. We were just sipping our drink and relaxing and didn't disturb the porter at any stage as we didn't look for an more drink. When my friend was leaving at 1.15 am I asked the porter to open the door and he was very rude as informed me that a non-resident should not be in the hotel after 12 midnight. He then asked me for my room number. This really upset me at the time. I contacted the hotel late last week and spoke to Debbie who was most helpful and informed me that this shouldn't have happened as it is okay to relax in the Foyer. This will be clarified with the porter so that I can look forward to booking again in the near future knowing that this would cause a problem in the future.

The hotel was very busy as it was Arts week. When we arrived for breakfast the dining room was full but we were able to relax in the Foyer and enjoyed a glass of orange juice as we waited. The hotel is ideally located in its own grounds overlooking the castle and just a few minutes away for the shops.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family