“Don't stay on a weekend if you want to be able to sleep.”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Manasquan, New Jersey
“Don't stay on a weekend if you want to be able to sleep.”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I think bulleted lists are easier to read so is my bulleted review:

* We stayed on the weekend, the bar across the street had live music blaring until 1:00 a.m. and this was on the "quiet" side of the bridge in town.
* Room 145, was an OK size with a double bed, overlooked the car park.
* Very warm and stuffy, no A/C, sign on the window asking not to open it - but we HAD to open the windows it was too hot - but there were no screens.
* Had 2 bathrooms - 1 was handicap accessible.
* No washcloths (Americans may not be used to this, but we found it common throughout Ireland that washcloths were not provided.).
* Because windows were open, we could also hear the wedding going on in the hotel, adding more noise to the evening, and cigarette smoke wafted up to the room, yuck!
* Good wi-fi access and signal.
* Dinner in the hotel was good, not great.
* Charge for parking (one of my pet peeves about hotels) was 3 Euros for the first day, 2 Euros each day thereafter.
* In room pants press did not work, iron not provided, must call reception for one (also common in Ireland).
* Good location in town - view of the Kilkenny Castle from the hotel dining room - beautiful!
* Very close walk to shops, churches, etc.
* Decent hot & cold breakfast buffet included in price of the room.

Room Tip: Rooms that fae the car park are noisy. Room 145 has a handicap accessible bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank arlena07
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear arlena07
Thank you for comments in relation to your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that certain aspects of your stay were not enjoyable. I assure you that this is not the standard of the River Court Hotel. We do cater for weddings and where possible we can on request move guests to rooms not facing the front. I sincerely apologise for the lack of A/C in your room, we do provide fans on request.

As you can see from other reviews, the team at the Hotel prides itself on the great reputation that we have built up over the years, which is why it is always very disappointing when we do not reach guests expectation. The Hotel as you stated is in the perfect location for exploring the wonderful city of Kilkenny and our reputation for food and service is well known both locally and nationally.

I would be delighted if you would contact me directly so that I may discuss your recent stay further with you. As General Manager my guests comfort is paramount.

Warmest regards

General Manager,
gm@rivercourthotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I really liked this hotel. I stayed here for a wedding and it all went very well.
The hotel is in a great location, The bedrooms have comfortable beds and are spacious and clean. Parking does cost extra but it is a central location so probably to be expected.
The Breakfast buffet is great, it is served in a large dining area and it can be busy but the service was excellent. There was a huge choice of food and it was a real plus.
I would stay here again is if I was in Kilkenny.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a great location for exploring Kilkenny which is why we chose it. Unfortunately on arrival on a very cold day we discovered that our room was extremely cold. We contacted reception and they sent someone up to try and fix the radiator but they were unable to. They did however send up an electric fan heater which did take the chill out of the room. The staff were very nice and did try their best to fix the problem but when we arrived in after a lovely evening the room was freezing and the fan heater was only a temporary solution as we couldn't leave it on all night due to the noise. On checking out the next day the receptionist asked us how we had enjoyed our stay. I replied that the hotel and bedrooms were very nice but I was very disappointed with the heating issue. She apologised and handed me the bill , which had an extra 5 euro on it for parking on the hotel grounds which I wasn't aware of!!! She asked to validate our ticket and if we were leaving straight away . When I told her that we were going shopping she offered to validate our car park ticket for an extra 2 hours as this was "the least she could do" for our inconvenience of the cold room!!! Least is a pretty exact term and I was stunned that we were charged for parking at all . She also told me to mention the problem we had experienced on our next visit and "they would be able to do something for us" !!!!! I feel that if any recompense was to be made it should have been made there and then so I won't be returning to this hotel. Too little too late in my opinion!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire0040
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2012
Dear Claire0040

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I sincerely apologise for the incidents that marred your stay with us. As you can see by other reviews on trip advisor this is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel.

I know that all of the team are so disappointed that your stay did not reach your expectations. As General Manager I have introduced more defined procedures in relation to how guest’s complaints should be dealt with. I admit on this occasion you should have been met by a senior manager or myself on check out.

I would greatly appreciate that should you be visiting Kilkenny in the future please contact me personally so that I may be afforded the opportunity in proving to you that this was an isolated incident. I would like to thank you sincerely for your comments as it is only by good customers like yourself informing us of such issues, that we can hope to maintain the high quality of service that we are known for.

I look forward to hearing from you and personally ensuring that your next visit to Kilkenny will be a most comfortable and enjoyable.

Warmest regards from all the team and sincere apologies.

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed at the river court Kilkenny this weekend. Got the family room which was big with plenty of room for us . The Hotel has a lovely swimming pol and leisure centre. Its situated in the heart of Kilkenny with the Castle with 5 min walk. Staff were helpful and friendly. Food was ok. Only downside was Bar menu was very limited and no kids menu. The main restaurant look nice and was expensive and did not look suitable for Kids.This made the Bar option all the more disappointing. However loads of restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel. All in all but a very enjoyable and good value break away.

Room Tip: Family room very large.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian M
Dublin
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We are just back from an overnight stay in this lovely hotel. I feel I must write a review to praise all the staff members we met. From our arrival and the friendly receptionist, the lovely guy working down at the pool who gave extra towels for drying wriggly kids, then the three waiter/ess working in the hotel bar serving dinner last night (got milk for baby bottle....need more chips...ice cream....all ok??).The lovely waitresses serving breakfast that paid lots of attention to our two kids....happy cleaners 'flat out' with bus load of tourists waiting for rooms! It is great to go somewhere and feel so looked after. The hotel has a great central location, we were able to walk the town, the castle with playground right next door, craft council,...shops, and even get a 'sneaky' drink in the wonderful Tynan’s.....will be back again!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Grainneco
Dear Grainneco,

Thank you for your much-valued custom and for having taken the time to review your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay in Kilkenny (even the sneaky one). It is always a pleasure for all the team seeing such positive feedback from guests. The staff and Management are the greatest asset of the Hotel offering a professional but friendly service at all times. I will certainly pass your kind words to all the staff. In the Hospitality industry it is the small details that matter. I was pleased to read that you had an opportunity to explore all the wonderful sights of Kilkenny, as you mentioned the River Court is ideally located at the heart of Kilkenny city.

Once again thank you for your review and all the team at the River Court look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards,

General Manager,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

The rooms are large and comfortable. The location of the hotel is great for looking at Kilkenny Castle and a short walk to all the tourist spots.

The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this hotel to anybody coming to Kilkenny

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We had an enjoyable 2 night break in this hotel. It is quite central and within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, pubs etc. Our room looked out onto the river and we also had a view of the Castle. You can go for a walk in the castle grounds or along by the river, both equally pleasant. The bedrooms have comfortable beds and are spacious and clean, although you can get noise (doors, talk) through from nearby rooms. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. Food is generally excellent, although we were disappointed with a steak that was ordered. Other items on the menu were excellent. Breakfast was fairly typical of such a hotel. One morning when the diningroom was quite full, service was slow. Parking costs extra but it is a central location. The leisure centre is modern and pleasant; we visited it twice and enjoyed it. Golf in Gowran nearby was good quality and very reasonably priced at €15.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
October Break

Dear Ashlawnguest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the perfect location that the Hotel has for those who wish to explore the wonderful city of Kilkenny. I was disappointed that some of the dishes in the Restaurant did not meet with your expectations, for this I sincerely apologise. Our Riverside Restaurant has an excellent reputation both locally and nationally for its quality of food and service. On certain busy mornings we do our utmost to cater for large numbers attending the restaurant for breakfast at the same time. I have spoken with the Team in relation to the issues outlined and I assure you that these were isolated incidents.

We at the River Court Hotel pride ourselves on the high level of customer care and service that we are renowned for and we are always thankful for feedback weather positive or negative. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback as it is only by guests like yourself informing us of such issues that we can hope to maintain the great reputation that the River Court Hotel has.

All the team look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future. Please ask for me personally on your next visit so that I may ensure you have a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Warmest regards