“Brillant place to stay great hotel”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Waterford, Ireland
“Brillant place to stay great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

A group of 25 of us from waterford stayed on the girls only package , the whole package was just great b/b , evening meal. treatment, and late check out............. Staff at reception checking and leaving where so nice and professional, the staff in the treatment rooms could not have been nicer and went out of there way to help us in everything, also as we stayed in bar after eveving meal the bar staff where so friendly to us .... Over all would stay here again could not fault any thing .. well done to all at Rivercourt....

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

A group of 40 of us from Dublin recently had a reunion weekend at the River Court Hotel. I could not praise it enough. The rooms, service, food etc. were all top class. It is an ideal venue for a group outing or indeed a relaxing weekend. The location is mins from the main street and mins from Kilkenny Castle which is a really interesting place to visit.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

We were one of a number of couples visiting the hotel for a reunion this weekend. On leaving today we all agreed that the entire experience had been wonderful and that the hotel staff had gone out of their way to ensure this.

The reunion was to be informal and we had no difficulty having our Saturday evening meal in the hotel restaurant. However, without requesting it we were given our own room perfectly laid out and set up. Late requests for an extra table and a microphone were facilitated promptly and without fuss and the meal that followed was high quality. As a result of all this our evening was more than memorable. Later we were allowed the use of a private snug area near the bar for a few drinks and a singsong.

The hotel itself is as other reviewers have said. The location is perfect and the accommodation is spacious and comfortable. We did not have time to use the leisure centre but it looked very nice. Breakfast is buffet style and was very good. Though very busy at times they manage it well and there is little or no waiting for a table.

One thing other hotels should take note of is that there is free WiFi throughout and it is not necessary to have to ask for a log-in password.

All in all, a very good hotel made all the more memorable by all the excellent staff who looked after us. We had forgotten how nice Kilkenny is and we will certainly be back before long to stay again in the River Court. Well done guys.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2012
Dear Omaha44

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. All of the team are delighted that all of the guests attending the reunion enjoyed all aspects of their stay at the River Court Hotel. We are delighted that you were pleased with the private dining room for your reunion dinner, we felt that by providing you with this created a very special ambience and atmosphere for such a special event.

As you stated the location, staff and ambience of the hotel all add to the wonderful experience that all of our guests have. To receive such positive feedback is very important for all the staff at the Hotel.

All of us look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny and the River Court Hotel in the future.

Warmest regards from all the team

Manasquan, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I think bulleted lists are easier to read so is my bulleted review:

* We stayed on the weekend, the bar across the street had live music blaring until 1:00 a.m. and this was on the "quiet" side of the bridge in town.
* Room 145, was an OK size with a double bed, overlooked the car park.
* Very warm and stuffy, no A/C, sign on the window asking not to open it - but we HAD to open the windows it was too hot - but there were no screens.
* Had 2 bathrooms - 1 was handicap accessible.
* No washcloths (Americans may not be used to this, but we found it common throughout Ireland that washcloths were not provided.).
* Because windows were open, we could also hear the wedding going on in the hotel, adding more noise to the evening, and cigarette smoke wafted up to the room, yuck!
* Good wi-fi access and signal.
* Dinner in the hotel was good, not great.
* Charge for parking (one of my pet peeves about hotels) was 3 Euros for the first day, 2 Euros each day thereafter.
* In room pants press did not work, iron not provided, must call reception for one (also common in Ireland).
* Good location in town - view of the Kilkenny Castle from the hotel dining room - beautiful!
* Very close walk to shops, churches, etc.
* Decent hot & cold breakfast buffet included in price of the room.

Room Tip: Rooms that fae the car park are noisy. Room 145 has a handicap accessible bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank arlena07
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear arlena07
Thank you for comments in relation to your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that certain aspects of your stay were not enjoyable. I assure you that this is not the standard of the River Court Hotel. We do cater for weddings and where possible we can on request move guests to rooms not facing the front. I sincerely apologise for the lack of A/C in your room, we do provide fans on request.

As you can see from other reviews, the team at the Hotel prides itself on the great reputation that we have built up over the years, which is why it is always very disappointing when we do not reach guests expectation. The Hotel as you stated is in the perfect location for exploring the wonderful city of Kilkenny and our reputation for food and service is well known both locally and nationally.

I would be delighted if you would contact me directly so that I may discuss your recent stay further with you. As General Manager my guests comfort is paramount.

Warmest regards

General Manager,
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I really liked this hotel. I stayed here for a wedding and it all went very well.
The hotel is in a great location, The bedrooms have comfortable beds and are spacious and clean. Parking does cost extra but it is a central location so probably to be expected.
The Breakfast buffet is great, it is served in a large dining area and it can be busy but the service was excellent. There was a huge choice of food and it was a real plus.
I would stay here again is if I was in Kilkenny.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a great location for exploring Kilkenny which is why we chose it. Unfortunately on arrival on a very cold day we discovered that our room was extremely cold. We contacted reception and they sent someone up to try and fix the radiator but they were unable to. They did however send up an electric fan heater which did take the chill out of the room. The staff were very nice and did try their best to fix the problem but when we arrived in after a lovely evening the room was freezing and the fan heater was only a temporary solution as we couldn't leave it on all night due to the noise. On checking out the next day the receptionist asked us how we had enjoyed our stay. I replied that the hotel and bedrooms were very nice but I was very disappointed with the heating issue. She apologised and handed me the bill , which had an extra 5 euro on it for parking on the hotel grounds which I wasn't aware of!!! She asked to validate our ticket and if we were leaving straight away . When I told her that we were going shopping she offered to validate our car park ticket for an extra 2 hours as this was "the least she could do" for our inconvenience of the cold room!!! Least is a pretty exact term and I was stunned that we were charged for parking at all . She also told me to mention the problem we had experienced on our next visit and "they would be able to do something for us" !!!!! I feel that if any recompense was to be made it should have been made there and then so I won't be returning to this hotel. Too little too late in my opinion!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire0040
Dear Claire0040

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I sincerely apologise for the incidents that marred your stay with us. As you can see by other reviews on trip advisor this is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel.

I know that all of the team are so disappointed that your stay did not reach your expectations. As General Manager I have introduced more defined procedures in relation to how guest’s complaints should be dealt with. I admit on this occasion you should have been met by a senior manager or myself on check out.

I would greatly appreciate that should you be visiting Kilkenny in the future please contact me personally so that I may be afforded the opportunity in proving to you that this was an isolated incident. I would like to thank you sincerely for your comments as it is only by good customers like yourself informing us of such issues, that we can hope to maintain the high quality of service that we are known for.

I look forward to hearing from you and personally ensuring that your next visit to Kilkenny will be a most comfortable and enjoyable.

Warmest regards from all the team and sincere apologies.

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed at the river court Kilkenny this weekend. Got the family room which was big with plenty of room for us . The Hotel has a lovely swimming pol and leisure centre. Its situated in the heart of Kilkenny with the Castle with 5 min walk. Staff were helpful and friendly. Food was ok. Only downside was Bar menu was very limited and no kids menu. The main restaurant look nice and was expensive and did not look suitable for Kids.This made the Bar option all the more disappointing. However loads of restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel. All in all but a very enjoyable and good value break away.

Room Tip: Family room very large.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family