“Nice hotel”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Had a lovely 3 day stay at this hotel. Rooms are very clean and well maintained.
Would have been good to have A/C as it was very warm but I understand its not required very much in Ireland!!!!
The terrace bar is lovely and we made good use of it especially when there was a bbq and dj on the Saturday night - burger was yummy.
I only have one negative and that is the queue for the food bar - its horrendous - why you cannot simply put in an order and go and sit down I don't understand - it happens in every other bar or hotel. I spent nearly 25 minutes standing to order and get a sandwich - not good :(
Location is really good and picturesque.
Staff are very friendly and helpful and I would like to just put in a word for the ladies that were on housekeeping who were very friendly and did a great job.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Kilkenny River Court Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you had a lovely 3 day stay with us. It is always wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback.

It has certainly been a great summer here in Kilkenny and unfortunately our rooms like the majority of hotels in our area were not built with air conditioning, however the hotel has just installed new awnings in the Terrace and over the winter months we will look at how else we can increase guest comfort during a heatwave.

We are very grateful to have such a dedicated and hardworking team environment at this property and I'm thrilled you have been witness to the many benefits this gives to our guest's experience I will be sure to pass on your comments to housekeeping.

I was particularly pleased to read how much you liked the Terrace and in particular the burger.
However most disappointed to learn that your experience in ordering a sandwich at the bar was not good. We do offer table service however there has been occasion where it was not possible in particular at concert weekends. Your constructive observations have been the subject of a meeting with our Senior Management, as I most certainly cannot condone any deviation from the high standards that the Kilkenny River Court Hotel.

I sincerely hope the you will return to the hotel for another visit in the not too distant future

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Firstly an excellent location with beautiful views of the castle very close to the town center. Food and facilities here are lovely and what you'd expect from the prices paid.

My major gripe here though is the service given by the bar staff especially. I found the head bar person in particular very difficult to deal with and unfriendly towards myself and those in my company. He was snappy and short when asking for my order and repeatedly rolled his his when i asked for a clean glass with each round. In the end we stopped going into the bat and instead went to near by local bars.

A spoiler for what was other wise an excellent experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 5 August 2013

stayed here for the Bruce concert and was so impressed, declan and his team are amazing, go out of their way to help you as much as possible, rooms are fantastic, clean and contemporary just what we were looking for. Cant wait to visit the river court again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your 'top marks' review on trip advisor which we are delighted to receive.
I am very grateful to have such a dedicated and hardworking team at the hotel which property and I'm thrilled you have been witness to the many benefits this gives to our guest's experience.
For your next Kilkenny stay, please, contact us directly.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed there for one night to visit the lovely city of Kilkenny. This hotel's location is perfect, walking distance from anything, including the castle. They offer a nice terrasse.

The room we had was clean but very small. However, the hotel is surrounded by the most brightest light spots to illuminate the building at night. Even with the curtains closed, they had us feeling it was daytime all night long.

Adding the huge party right below us that went on until 2am, it wasn't the greatest experience. We saw the party getting on in the ballroom at around 9pm and we kindly asked the desk manager when they expect it to end. They told us around 11pm

At 1am I called the reception asking why it didn't end at 11pm and they told us that it indeed ended at 11pm but only to be replaced by a new party with a DJ (and his billion giga watt sound system). Duh. No rooms were still availabe at this time so we had to stay put.

To be fair, I met the manager in the morning and he was extremely nice. They refunded the room and apologized.

Breakfast was sub-par.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We got married here some years ago. My family have stayed here many times since and the hotel is still as good. For anyone considering a wedding at the venue, do not hesitate. They catered for 200 people at my wedding, and the food was consiostently spectacular and commeneted on to be so by all guests. I asked to use my own favouraite wines, and they allowed me to do so for a very reasonable fee.

The suites are nicely designed and roomy, and the hotel is located very centrally with a great pub (generally with live Irish music and a great pint of Guiness) a very short walk from the Hotel.

Top Tip - Don't go swimming in the river next to the hotel at 3am if you are getting married in the morning

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
It was a pleasure to welcome you for your recent stay at Kilkenny River Court Hotel and thank you so much for your wonderful review and recommendation.

We are delighted to hear you are so impressed with every aspect of the Hotel and that you had such a great overall wedding experience. Our mission as always is to cater for your wedding day and make it, just like our Hotel, both unique and memorable. Your Kind compliments are very encouraging for the entire team and are genuinely appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back again to the Kilkenny River Court Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Europe (and around the world) and this one ranks up there. The rooms, spacious, bathrooms clean, view fantastic, food good, and the hotel is within walking distance of everything you'd want to see in Kilkenny. The pubs across the street have live music in the evenings.

We loved this hotel and could have easily spent a week exploring Kilkenny from here. Unfortunately, it was at the beginning of our trip and we kept wanting to come back!

Daughter loved the pool. As a note: if you want to swim you will need to bring a swim cap. There are cloth ones available to buy.

Room Tip: Triple rooms are very spacious for a family.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sharbean,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Kilkenny River Court Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback.

We are fortunate to have such a great location within walking distance of all the main attraction and the varied evening entertainment on offer in Kilkenny City. I am delighted you found the the rooms spacious, bathrooms clean, view fantastic and the food good,

We look forward to welcoming you back again to Kilkenny and hope you will have more time to explore our wonderful city.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed one night only, great location. Rooms comfortable with lovely views of river and castle, room bit warm. Stayed for Springsteen concert so ideal for walking to venue. Staff friendly. On return from concert hotel had laid on bbq & had enough staff to man bar (which is sometimes a massive problem after a concert) they also had Springsteen music playing. Staff went out of their way to ensure clients were catered for. Breakfast was okay no mushrooms or tomatoes okay if you are on an Atkins diet ha ha!!!

Room Tip: We had 218 no complaint other than rather warm & unable to open windows as warned due to being...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Anniehever.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Kilkenny River Court Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the location especially in relation to the Bruce concert at Nowlan Park and the city centre was great. Both just within a short walking distance.

I was particularly pleased to read how wonderful you found the service provided by my team and that they went out of there way even on such a busy weekend. I will personally be thanking the team members for their great work, thank you again for recognizing them.

It is a shame the only slight disappointment from your visit had been your breakfast and there was no mushrooms or tomatoes available. We do provide these on request each morning and have highlighted to the kitchen for future concert weekends that there is extra available.

I hope this wouldn't deter you from coming to stay at Kilkenny River Court Hotel when Bruce returns to Nowlan Park.