“Poor value disappointed”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Arrived no check in until four went shopping on return still someone in our room. We tried to book meal for seven to be told wedding so cant sit until nine decided on a swim only to realise pool closed at six. Arrived for meal booking not made by desk staff girl in restaurant was such hard worker Lovelly the music from wedding so loud we cudnt hear each other. Disgusted to realise on our package only choice was chicken risotto salmon or pasta everything elsr was supplement even some desserts and starters were extra food very nice and girls on floor hard workers over charged in bar by and bar area in need of attention no heated lamps in smoking area or outdoor area Shame as view Lovelly be nice to enjoy it for girlie weekend not pleasant stay

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank laoiswomanthirties
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a very nice hotel on the river and just across the bridge from the castle and the tourist areas of Kilkenny. We were very pleased with the rooms and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
We had a nice Irish breakfast sitting by the window with a view of the castle and the river - lovely.

Room Tip: Of course you want a river/castle view.
2  Thank RJBKY
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I've just returned from a weekend stay at the River Court and was very impressed by it.The location is excellent and if your lucky enough to get nice weather, the terrace beside the river is great place to have a beer and relax.
Bedrooms where clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Mark d,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us at the River Court Hotel and for your five star rating. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the terrace which can be very popular throughout the whole year. The staff as you mentioned are very professional but provide a very friendly and efficient service at all times.

The location as you stated in your review is ideal for visiting many of the wonderful attractions that Kilkenny has to offer. From all the team at the hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend away and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future.

Yours in service

Declan Moriarty

The Bridge,
John Street,
Kilkenny,
Email: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We checked in at the last minute, with no reservations. We were 4 mature women who would have loved to spend the night, sharing the costs, in one room. Unfortunately, we were told that because of some "law"' exclusive to Kilkenny or this hotel, am still not sure, we could not as 4 adults room together. We were given two rooms that could have slept at least 6, comfortably, in each room! Crazy, but since it was late in the day, we decided to bite the bullet(s) and book the two rooms. They were bright and spacious, nice linens, great bathrooms, but the fact that we were down the hall from each other stuck in our collective craw. We dined on the deck overlooking the river in the shadow of the Kilkenny castle which was in and of itself, amazing. We were winding down our vacation having just come from Cashel in County Tipperary, so we wanted this night to be a time to sit around, have some cocktails and share some thoughts on the trip thus far. I felt I would stray from the last 8 days of beer and order a martini. Of course I know to " when in Rome or this case Ireland to do as the Irish", but the belt was getting a little tight from all the pints and dammit! I wanted vodka, so I took myself to the bar and ordered what I thought would be pretty straightforward. No belvedere, no kettl 1, no grey goose, so I asked what top shelf was, the bar man replied, schmirnoffs. Well ok, then may I have a dirty martini shaken, straight up? No olives, maybe onions? I'll get some from the kitchen says he. No no no, that's okay. How about vodka and tonic? Do you have lime? No...okay, we'll then ill have it without. Thanks! The dinner was just okay, but we came in from the deck and were seated in front of a fireplace which was lit for us and just lovely. We retired to our rooms, changed into jammies and met in one room to play cards and drink wine. Nice, but we tried to listen to some music through the TV as outlined on the placard in the room but got nothing but static. We all slept well, up and out after a buffet breakfast that was included in the cost of the room. I don't know if I'd ever stay there again, maybe if they changed the "law"! PS although he couldn't quite come up with a fabulous martini, Johnny the bar man was very amiable and very easy on the eye! PPS our last night was in Portmarnock and we all stayed in one room. LAWLESS, we were!

Room Tip: Try to book on the river!
Reviewed 23 September 2013

we stayed here for two nights and enjoyed our stay greatly. The staff are helpful, the location is perfect, the hotel its self is lovely and the rooms are a great size with all the mod cons!

we had a room facing the car park which was disappointing as if we were on the otherside of the corridor we would have been looking over the castle. non the less we loved the room and didn't mind as the bar and restaurant has the castle view.

this was our favourite hotel we stayed in Ireland as it has a real Irish charm but isn't frumpy in the slightest.

I would recommend this to any one and hope to stay here again one day

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear EMMAabouttheworld,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent visit to the River Court Hotel. I am delighted to read that the River Court was the most favourite of all the hotels that you stayed at during your trip around Ireland. We are truly in a perfect location for guests who wish to visit and experience the wonderful attractions and events around Kilkenny.

Due to the very high demand we cannot always guarantee a castle view room, perhaps on your next trip. I am delighted that you enjoyed the castle view from our restaurant and bar. I will pass on your very kind comments to the staff, who I know will be delighted to get such feedback. As we are located in one of the main tourist destinations we are very aware that a high level of good Irish customer care is vital. A home away from home experience is what we provide.

I hope you had a very safe trip home and on your next visit to Ireland I do hope that you will return to Kilkenny.
Yours in service
Declan Moriarty

The Bridge,
John Street,
Kilkenny,
Email: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We could not believe our luck when we saw the Kilkenny River Court's location directly across from Kilkenny Castle. The views were amazing! The treat continued inside, where the recweption area, the restaurant and the rooms were pure luxury! We did not want to leave this wonderful accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Positives include a very pretty location and a beautiful terraced bar/cafe overlooking the river and the castle. Also it is very centrally located. I also liked the busy atmosphere and the old style décor, although some of it could do with a bit of modernisation. The staff were nice and polite but could do with a bit of extra training. I went to breakfast at 10.20 am on a Saturday morning, and whereas I know this is late, it did state in my room information that breakfast was served until 10.30 on a Saturday and Sunday. I was careful to read this information the night before and again the following morning. However when I came down to breakfast, there was practically nothing left to eat and we were told breakfast was finished at 10.00 am. There were no beans, no white pudding and very little left in the cooked breakfast section. it was a struggle to get someone to bring over some tea also. So either change our room info or stick to what it says in there.

My room was quite noisy also. Whenever someone ran taps or flushed water in the room over me it was pretty loud. Also my shower thermostat was not working properly and the water was scalding. I couldn't make it cooler. I would suggest to the hotel also to get blinds on the windows behind the curtain, a lot of light coming in to the room very early. Nice enough hotel but not 4 Star.

Room Tip: Overlooking the castle
1  Thank jools69