“Kilkenny River Court Hotel-highest rating & best experience!”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I first visited Ireland in the fall of 1980 while on our honeymoon. One of the biggest improvement since than are the roads (100% better). During our recent two week visit to Ireland we rented a car and drove to various cities and towns in the Southern half of Ireland and stayed in four highly rated hotels and by a significant margin we would rate our stay in Kilkenny at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel the highest for the following reasons:
1. The hotel facilities - My wife and I found the Kilkenny River Court Hotel provided us with a wonderful high quality experience that was full of warmth with great facilities that would satisfy most guest requirements. The guest rooms were large, warm, quite, and included comfortable beds, furnishings, with free Internet and TV that worked great. The hotel’s Riverside Restaurant provided elegant dining for both breakfast and dinner with great views of the River Nore and the Kilkenny Castle and the choice, quality and quantity of food was excellent. The hotel also includes an excellent living room area that is great for meeting with people, relaxing, or working on your computer. There are also many other facilities and services offered at this hotel. Parking for your car is available on site for a reasonable $5 eur/24 hours. While staying at this hotel you probably will not have to use your car because everything is within close walking distance.
2. The hotel staff - All of the staff at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel provided excellent service with great attitudes and went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The front desk staff and those who assisted us with our luggage were very pleasant, accommodating and competent. The dining room staff and especially our waitress, Michelle, were all excellent and the food was the highest quality (we read after we left this hotel that the Executive Head Chef, Gerard Dunne, has worked at this hotel for the past 6 years and prior to that he was the Executive Head Chef of the QE2. The managers at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel were also excellent and the two we met both went out of their way to ensure the hotel provided the highest quality service and experience possible. I had several discussions with Declan Moriarty, General Manager of this hotel and he was definitely the best manager of any of the hotels we stayed at in Ireland. Mr. Moriarty was intelligent and did everything he could to ensure his guests received the best experience possible at this hotel. He reminded me of the motto "the customer is always right" and he backed it up by his "can do" actions. People like Mr. Moriarty and his staff add tremendous value to the organization they work for.
3. The location of the Kilkenny River Court Hotel is perfect in the heart of one of the most beautiful and clean cities in Ireland along the River Nore with majestic views of the spectacular 12th Century Kilkenny Castle on the other side of the river. This hotel is located within short walking distances to all parts of the downtown area of Kilkenny including all shopping and entertainment establishments. We especially like the nearby large "Dunnes Store" that had a large variety of food and department store items and the large enclosed "Market Cross Shopping Centre" along with the many unique individual shops throughout the town. We also enjoyed “The Kyleler’s Inn” for traditional Irish entertainment and its fascinating history as one of the oldest pubs in Ireland.
During this trip we first stayed at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel on Sept. 19, 2013 and we loved Kilkenny and this Hotel so much that we returned the following week to stay again - this was not part of our original plan.
My wife and I were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our wonderful experience in Kilkenny and at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel. We would definitely stay in this hotel again. V & P

Room Tip: Communicate accurately to the staff what you want and ask them to confirm it via email - this should...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank V J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We spent a night here on our way from Dublin to Killarney and are glad we did. The hotel was very nice, clean and spacious. The location was the absolute best for being close to all the shops of pubs of downtown. Not to mention it had a great view and proximity to Kilkenny Castle. A full breakfast was included which is always a nice bonus and parking was very convenient, although there was a slight charge for it. All in all, a nice visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the front of the hotel, the late night noise from the pub across the stre...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Came here for a break away and all i can say is WOW. What a hotel! Staff very friendly and so helpful. Rooms were warm but we noticed a fan in the bedroom in case we needed it.. Had a 3 course meal and the food is fantastic in the resturant and at the bar! Breakfast was one of the best ive had in a hotel in a long time! Had a 30 minute massage which was so relaxing! Swimming pool and leisure facilities were great. Very clean also. Even Marcus the staff member at the leisure club was so helpful. Also Martin in the residence bar was more than happy to serve us drinks! Blankets at the smoking area door for us to use when going smoking as it was very cold outside.
Cant speak enough of this hotel it was just fantastic. Will most def be coming back again!

Room Tip: 2 person sharing room was very big and spacious!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sinead L
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here as part of a hen weekend on 18 October. the staff were brilliant, the rooms were stunning and the food was amazing!! I've nothing but praise for this hotel and I will definitely return in the very near future.

Room Tip: A triple room is big enough to sleep 4/5 people!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Esther B
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A very good hotel, unless your room is over the kitchen or there is a wedding booked at the same time as you. Booked two nights for a family reunion, which included some twenty relations.
We should have realised, on entering the room, that a fan was switched on full blast. Of course we didn't, but neither my wife nor i slept all night because of the heat in the room (we are normally good sleepers). Early next morning, I contacted the duty manager, who did not appear at all surprised! We were advised by reception staff that there was a wedding party at the hotel on that day, but would be unlikely to affect us. We were offered an alternative room (without the fan on), which appeared to be cool and comfortable. The porter who took us to the new room, mentioned the wedding, but said that it would be at the other side of the hotel and would not be a problem for us. The final guest climbed into his taxi at 05.40 having shouted to his fellow guests for a few hours. We were credited with one night and offered a free night in the future, but it's a long way to Kilkenny..

Room Tip: Find out where the kitchen is and avoid wedding party weekends
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 0terryt
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Myself and Husband and 2 kids stayed at this hotel from 11th Oct for 2 nights. I have to say it is a really lovely hotel with really lovely very accommodating staff. We arrived early and our room was ready which was great for the husband as he has been in bad health and needed to rest a little. We got a lovely room and once in room we a waiter arrived with a Jug of Milk and some warm cookies for the kids. I thought this was a lovely gesture and the kids really loved it. The room we stayed in was very big with nice comfortable mattresses for us all. The bathroom was big my only cristicism would be it could be updated a little. Dinner in the hotel on the saturday night was really nice we really couldn't fault it even though they were busy they still managed to be courteous and polite. Breakfast was great especially when the manager came over with a basket of bread for the kids to feed the ducks outside we thought this was a lovely touch. As I said its the little things x All in all we had a really nice time the hotel is fabulous there is nothing at all I could fault. Everyone said hello each time we passed by and as I said for the little gestures I thought this was special. We definitely plan to go back soon. Thanks again for everything and special thank you to Gillian Pierce for all your help x

Room Tip: I only gave the children activities a rating of 2 there wasn't anything on for the kids and that...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2013

If you are planning a trip to Kilkenny, ck out the Kilkenny River Court hotel for your next stay. We just returned after celebrating the wedding of our kids over in Kilkenny, where our daughter in love's family is located.

We had no idea what to expect, but this hotel met and exceeded expectations. Debbie went out of her way to make our room work for my snoring husband. We had a two room suite right across from the castle/river.. what a view. They even provided an extra bed for him to go to on those nights his snoring became a problem.

One night I had very low blood sugar- since there isn't an fridge or microwave in the room- and everything was closed, I was forced to ask the front desk for help. They immediately brought me a fruit bowl-- knife to cut the fruit up, and some drinks to help stabilize the blood sugar. Every time we asked for something it was there, immediately. We tried to tip.. they refused it...

We decided after all the awesome service that we would host the rehearsal dinner and we would give them our business for this dinner party w/ friends and family. The Dinner administration folks worked out an early bird 4 course dinner for us complete with a glass of wine, deserts, and the excellent wait staff. The meal was over the top!

Everyone loved it.

Be aware-- that King size European beds are smaller than our traditional Ca King or even the Eastern King we have over here in the states. It seem slightly bigger than a Queen-- but the beds were very, very comfortable. I am very picky about our beds-- and we usually stay at Hamptons throughout the US-- these beds were equally good!

One morning I needed a wake up call-- as my cell died. The girl who called me early in the morning.. was so cool-- She said in very sweet, soft, melodic voice.. "It is time to wake up sleepyhead. This is the front desk, and we want you to get a good start on your busy day for the wedding preps. Are you starting to wake up now? I hope you slept well." I felt like I was listening to a lullaby voice-- :)

We will definitely stay again when we return. The price was right, the ambiance was great-- service was outstanding, breakfast was included each morning. (The Irish breakfast choices got a little stale after several days-- but, still it was a full breakfast! They need to change it up a bit on that piece-- but, everything was cooked beautifully). It is centrally located to everything as well- including the ability to walk almost everywhere.

You won't be disappointed!

Dr Damaris Conrad

Room Tip: I would ask for the larger rooms. Some of our family/friends stayed there-- and their rooms were qui...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family