My wife and I first visited Ireland in the fall of 1980 while on our honeymoon. One of the biggest improvement since than are the roads (100% better). During our recent two week visit to Ireland we rented a car and drove to various cities and towns in the Southern half of Ireland and stayed in four highly rated hotels and by a significant margin we would rate our stay in Kilkenny at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel the highest for the following reasons:
1. The hotel facilities - My wife and I found the Kilkenny River Court Hotel provided us with a wonderful high quality experience that was full of warmth with great facilities that would satisfy most guest requirements. The guest rooms were large, warm, quite, and included comfortable beds, furnishings, with free Internet and TV that worked great. The hotel’s Riverside Restaurant provided elegant dining for both breakfast and dinner with great views of the River Nore and the Kilkenny Castle and the choice, quality and quantity of food was excellent. The hotel also includes an excellent living room area that is great for meeting with people, relaxing, or working on your computer. There are also many other facilities and services offered at this hotel. Parking for your car is available on site for a reasonable $5 eur/24 hours. While staying at this hotel you probably will not have to use your car because everything is within close walking distance.
2. The hotel staff - All of the staff at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel provided excellent service with great attitudes and went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The front desk staff and those who assisted us with our luggage were very pleasant, accommodating and competent. The dining room staff and especially our waitress, Michelle, were all excellent and the food was the highest quality (we read after we left this hotel that the Executive Head Chef, Gerard Dunne, has worked at this hotel for the past 6 years and prior to that he was the Executive Head Chef of the QE2. The managers at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel were also excellent and the two we met both went out of their way to ensure the hotel provided the highest quality service and experience possible. I had several discussions with Declan Moriarty, General Manager of this hotel and he was definitely the best manager of any of the hotels we stayed at in Ireland. Mr. Moriarty was intelligent and did everything he could to ensure his guests received the best experience possible at this hotel. He reminded me of the motto "the customer is always right" and he backed it up by his "can do" actions. People like Mr. Moriarty and his staff add tremendous value to the organization they work for.
3. The location of the Kilkenny River Court Hotel is perfect in the heart of one of the most beautiful and clean cities in Ireland along the River Nore with majestic views of the spectacular 12th Century Kilkenny Castle on the other side of the river. This hotel is located within short walking distances to all parts of the downtown area of Kilkenny including all shopping and entertainment establishments. We especially like the nearby large "Dunnes Store" that had a large variety of food and department store items and the large enclosed "Market Cross Shopping Centre" along with the many unique individual shops throughout the town. We also enjoyed “The Kyleler’s Inn” for traditional Irish entertainment and its fascinating history as one of the oldest pubs in Ireland.
During this trip we first stayed at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel on Sept. 19, 2013 and we loved Kilkenny and this Hotel so much that we returned the following week to stay again - this was not part of our original plan.
My wife and I were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our wonderful experience in Kilkenny and at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel. We would definitely stay in this hotel again. V & P
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Award winning Kilkenny River Court Hotel, superbly located on the bank of the River Nore in the heart of the medieval city of Kilkenny. Nestled in a private courtyard, secluded from the bustling and winding city streets, the Hotel is overlooked by Kilkenny's majestic 12th century castle. On arrival you will feel a sense of belonging as our experienced team welcomes you to Kilkenny's finest four star hotel. The Hotel is the ideal setting for corporate events, weddings or special family events. Our prime city centre location also includes ample secure on site parking facilities. Dining outlets at the Hotel include the AA Rosette winning Riverside Restaurant and Terrace Kitchen at the Riverview Bar complete with its own 'al fresco' terrace dining experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kilkenny River Court Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.