“Very nice hotel, great breakfast”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin
“Very nice hotel, great breakfast”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a 3 night mid week break. Room was cosy, warm and spotless. Staff were so helpful, particularly the 2 young guys in the bar who worked non stop one of the evenings and all the time with a friendly demeanor, the other member of bar staff who served us during the day could do with taking a leaf out of their book! The breakfast was lovely with plenty to choose from. There is one small gripe however, there's a charge of 5 euro per night to use the car park but overall I would definitely visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room facing the river and with a great view of Kilkenny Castle.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear MnolanDublin,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased that overall that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you hope to return in the future.

Please contact me directly on your next visit to Kilkenny and I will personally ensure that you have a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Yours in Service

Declan Moriarty

Email: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, reception is friendly, warm and very helpful. I arrived early, but the reception got me a room ready as I was working late that evening and I needed a shower before I headed out. Food in the bar was very good, priced very reasonable. Service again was good. It's a clean centrally located hotel in Kilkenny with parking. If anything the decor is in need of a modernisation. But at that the hotel rooms are furnished very well, bathroom is clean and tidy. All round a great hotel. I'd give it 9/10.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard C
Dear Rcorr77,

Thank you your 5 star rating and for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the ambience created by the staff of the Hotel.

I do take your comment on board in relation to the décor, but it does give the Hotel a kinds of “ Old World Charm”.

Yours in Service

Declan Moriarty

Email: gm@rivercourthotel.com
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

It started off okay, receptionist was friendly and attentive upon check in. Got to our room and neither of the two key cards wouldn't work. My boyfriend ran back to reception and she questioned how we were using the key card (we have stayed in hotels before) She changed key card and we still could not enter our room so trailed back to reception again to be questioned again how we were using the card. After two unsuccessful attempts to enter our room we eventually got in. Yay. I booked a room with a view which we got. Beautiful view of the castle and the river and a door which opened out onto a Juliet balcony. Room was clean but did notice cobwebs up in the corners of the ceiling and walls. Water temperature in the shower and the sink was poor. There was not distinction between hot and cold no matter where you set the dial so I brushed my teeth with warm water. Yuk. I also filled a glass of water from the tap in the en suite and the water was very murky/dirty.

Dinner: We ate in the bar, nice enough setting, cd playing in the background not too loud, just right. Bar man/waiter very attentive and friendly. We had soup to start which was tasty and chicken main course. Chicken was perfectly cooked, veg and potato very tasty and the red wine jus with the chicken was amazing. Fab meal and not too expensive. We paid €45 for two starter, mains and drinks.

Breakfast is self service. The server who seated us asked us did we want tea or coffee which she never brought to us we had to stop another server. Very unorganised. One small piece of butter on a side plate for each table which was used on one slice of toast again had to ask for more butter at breakfast? This is very strange to me. The food didn't seem to be coming out of the kitchen quick enough as people were standing around waiting for sausages etc.

They charge €5 for overnight parking. Location is perfect for surrounding bars not too far to walk. Overall it was okay but definitely not a 4* experience.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank divaniamh
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Rivercourt is a well run hotel. Good breakfast, friendly staff and excellent pool and gym. Centre of the town (city) with car parking. The bedrooms were spacious and well heated. this hotel is worth a stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Did not stay in hotel but did have early bird meal here last weekend.
It was brilliant,3 courses and free glass of wine for under 46!
Great bruschetta to start, then a big beef meal but well done as a roast and not filling, finished by really stellar cheesecake. If looking for a meal in Kilkenny,look no further.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I arrived early on Friday afternoon to be greeted by an incredibly friendly lady. Check-in was a doddle, no fuss just speedy and full of chat. I went for a swim in their perfect pool after 5pm, I practically had it to myself...so I thought, I wish I was staying longer. The room was perfect, the bar was open and the staff were friendly. I was checking out early the next morning so didn't get to sample their breakfast but by all accounts it was a delight I missed. It was amazing value, the staff could not have been nicer and the whole experience made this short trip left me wanting more...even just another day.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Myself and my boyfriend used the deal over two nights, from the moment we checked in to the time we checked out we have enjoyed every aspect of the River court Hotel. Our room was overlooking the river with a view of Kilkenny Castle. The room was a great size with a huge comfortable bed and roomy ensuite, albeit a small bath but the shower was powerful and hot! Our only issues with the room were the location of the plugs.. none near the bed or table and chairs, the radiator under the window with curtains that don't close fully, this was fine during the winter but during the summer I can imagine this to be quite annoying.
The swimming pool facilities were clean and the gym seemed well equipped.
We didn't dine in the restaurant but the breakfast was varied with plenty of options and all very tasty. The bar area was also atmospheric and we enjoyed sitting here during the day soaking up the views of the castle.
I would recommend friends to stay here as it is centrally located with a friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: Email the reception before you arrive to ensure a room with a view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple