“Hotel was nothing short of Excellent”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Cong, Ireland
“Hotel was nothing short of Excellent”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I wanted to say that we had a wonderful day and to start it off were met by Tracy at the front desk and given a very nice view of the Castle and river. We did have one problem of which we talked to Declan the GM, he was an absolute gentleman and listened and did his very best to accommodate
the situation to the best of his ability and his guest recovery was nothing short of 5*****
Thank you Declan and Tracey for making our day magical.

Room Tip: Just enjoy the view and location of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skydiver18000
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Skydiver 18000

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. It was an absolute pleasure personally looking after you both. I have passed your very kind compliments onto Tracy at the front desk.

I look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope that you had a very safe trip back to Kinsale.

Email: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights in February, quick check in, very efficient and friendly staff especially the restaurant where we had dinner on one of the nights, good food, well presented. Good breakfast plenty selection. We had a room at the front of the hotel which was nice although there was a wedding on that day and it was a quite noisy. Just one complaint, the lounge in the hotel was very cold but everything else was good. The hotel is in a great location, very central, within walking distance of all the shops, bars etc. We went to dinner in a little Thai place, the Yindee Downtown restaurant just beside the hotel which we would really recommend. There is a car park in the hotel with a charge of €5 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ella570
Dear Ella 570

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel, as you stated we are in a prime location with many of Kilkenny’s attractions within walking distance.

I do apologise for the heating in the residents lounge, this should have been noticed on the day and turned on.

I look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope that you had a very safe trip back home.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We only stayed one night and found the hotel very difficult to find with a car as the entrance is easy to miss. Not sure if after paying to stay you should be charged for parking in their own car park. Could not fault the service and the breakfast was excellent and plentiful. Would possibly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Irene F,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel, from our prime location to our wonderful offering at breakfast.

As we are a city centre Hotel parking is at a premium, many guests comment of how handy it is just to park the car for the duration of their stay, rather than having to pay taxi fares if they were staying one of the many Hotels on the outskirts of Kilkenny city.

I look forward to seeing welcoming you again to Kilkenny.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I had heard and read good reviews about this hotel, but having stayed here recently I will not be returning. There is nothing majorly wrong with the hotel, but equally there is no reason to select it over the number of other hotels in Kilkenny.
Firstly the positives, the location is ideal for exploring the city, and has a great view of the castle. The staff are very attentive, helpful and eager to please. A lot of other aspects of the hotel are only fine.
The negatives, the rooms have paper thin walls and you can clearly hear conversations in rooms on either side of you. People talking in the corridor sound like they are in the room with you. The menus are poor, with very little choice (why you would have liver for starter and main course on a very short menu is beyond me). The set menu has numerous dishes with supplementary charges (at least 8 dishes). The food isn't great.
The leisure centre closes at 6, which on a wet weekend is a joke. The drawing room/lounge is either freezing or roasting (and periodically changes between both over the evening). Charging for the car-park is an extra cost worth considering when calculating value for money.
All in all not worth the visit.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear dr_duddle,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay with us. In relation to the offering for dinner I have spoken with the kitchen team, in regard to the dinner supplements, there is a supplement charge on the steak and some on the chef’s signature dishes which are very popular. The chef has reviewed all of our inclusive menus.

I do apologise in relation to the heating in the residents lobby, further to your comment this has been addressed by maintenance. We do endeavour to keep disturbance from other guests to a minimum, I do apologise for any disturbance that you encountered. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly so as I may discuss your review and your stay in more detail.

Waterford
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I made the choice to book the river court hotel as a surprise for my wives birthday we stayed on a sunday night it was the right choice.Having stayed in many of kilkenny hotels I'm inclined to say this is the best,there is a sense of warmth and home about this hotel.Was upgraded to castle view room which was nice with balcony.Helpful staff from reception to bar to leisure centre.Food in bar was ok not special but was value for money. Breakfast the next morning was good and was nice choice its perfect location for kilkenny for all the bars or just to unwind and take in the castle.Sleep quality was good and hotel was clean.In all will return.

Room Tip: Castle View
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MichaelBres,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you made the right choice in booking the River Court Hotel to celebrate your wife’s birthday. The ambience and comfort of the Hotel is important to all at the Hotel and I know all of the team are delighted to read that you experienced that home away from home feeling.

The River Court is located in the heart of Kilkenny city and all of the attractions of Kilkenny are at our doorstep.

Thank you again for your very positive comments and all of the team look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the near future

County Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here a while back. Was looking forward to a relaxing weekend as we were very much given the impression it was a hen/stag free venue. But at three o'clock in the morning with people running riot across the hotel, shouting and banging on doors we were left in no doubt that it definitely does a good trade from the aforementioned. The screams of drunken people leaving the nightclubs on the Saturday night meant we didn't sleep until after 5 in the morning.

The hotel search engine we booked it on said they will not take bookings from hens/stags and this is the reason we chose this particular hotel. I raised the issue with management and after checking the website they apologised and said they will have the mistake rectified. Months later they still haven't.

As for the hotel itself, thought it was dated. The location is excellent, city centre over looked by Kilkenny Castle and would be perfect for a lads/girls weekend away, but would definitely not recommend for a relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fredkay
Dear FredKay,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am disappointed that certain incidents marred your stay at the Hotel.

This is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel. As we are in a prime city location we do on some weekends cater for groups, we do take measures to ensure that there is no disturbance to other guests, I do apologise that on the night you stayed that you encountered some noise disturbance.

I would appreciate if you would contact me directly so as I may discuss your stay in greater detail

Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel was a one night booking and our room was over the main entrance so we got disturbed during the course of the night. My husband reported this to reception and 50% was deducted from the bill. if we stay again I would request a room overlooking the river.

Good buffet breakfast and we were lucky to be sitting by the window overlooking the river.

The staff were very friendly with the usual Irish charm.The room was not of 4 star standard for cleanliness and the shower was not very warm.

At breakfast there was a small amount of butter in a dish which was only enough to cover 2 slices of toast. Had to ask for more.

As we had a deduction because of the noise, I suppose we cannot grumble.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I do sincerely apologise for the disturbance you encountered. Thank you for informing us of this so at least we were able to rectify the issue in some way.

I am pleased that you found all of the staff full of Irish Charm, the team are very proud of the high level of customer care that they provide.

Please contact me directly on your next visit to Kilkenny and I will personally ensure that you have a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.