“Lovely Hotel & Lovely Staff”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I transfered to this hotel after a bad experience elsewhere. I was met by a lovely young lady at reception who could not do enough for me. Being a "Solo" tourist I expected a smaller than usual room with a bad, if any view. But I was delighted with my room, it was a fantastic room with a double bed. But the view, oh my word, it was delightful, I had a great view of the Castle and part of the street. The Castle was lit at night and it was a delight. The bedroom furniture was lovely and I had loads of space. It is in the city, but very quiet at night as it is "off street" .Tea & Coffee making facility (Thank you). The toiletteries were top quality with plenty of hot water. Breakfast was buffet style , with free daily newspapers. I had an evening meal in the bar, I would wonder when it had actually been originally cooked, as the hotel was quiet on that Monday night. I loved the pool, it was very clean. I missed out on arranging a massage, but next time hopefully. When I return to Kilkenny, I hope I will be able to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Castle.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

our weekend trip was booked into the Rivercourt and we could not have asked for better. If your into views the beer garden overlooks the river and kilkenny castle and is great to relax. the rooms were very clean and tidy with plenty of free coffee in the room and the staff were extremly helpful. would recommend staying here and look forward to visiting again

Room Tip: book a room with castle view and balcony
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My wife and I visit Kilkenny a lot as we really like it there. We have stayed in River Court a few times. We stayed there again last Sunday and Monday (Paddy's w/e). Hotel is in a great location and is very central for all the great bars and restaurants in KK. We have stayed here previously in hot weather and the hotel bar on the river bank looking up at the castle is a great spot.
Hotel is very clean with a good atmosphere around the place. Rooms are a reasonable size. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast is good with good choices. Car parking is €5 per day - max €10 per stay.
We reckoned there was some problem with the heating last weekend. The room was uncomfortably warm when we arrived on Sun afternoon. It remained so even with windows open. Staying 2 nights we had hoped to get a river view room but unfortunately didn't. Thus we were in a room facing hotel front (#103) and windows only opened slightly. There were 2 radiators in the room and one couldn't be turned off. We were able to turn off the other one. Next evening the room was quite cold and no heating on all evening. The water in the shower was at best luke warm -not hot enough to wash hair - but hot tap in sink was perfect. We told receptionist when checking out and she was very apologetic.
We will be back in a few months and certainly recommend here (hope the shower is fixed!).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pat H
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I wanted to say that we had a wonderful day and to start it off were met by Tracy at the front desk and given a very nice view of the Castle and river. We did have one problem of which we talked to Declan the GM, he was an absolute gentleman and listened and did his very best to accommodate
the situation to the best of his ability and his guest recovery was nothing short of 5*****
Thank you Declan and Tracey for making our day magical.

Room Tip: Just enjoy the view and location of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skydiver18000
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Skydiver 18000

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. It was an absolute pleasure personally looking after you both. I have passed your very kind compliments onto Tracy at the front desk.

I look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope that you had a very safe trip back to Kinsale.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights in February, quick check in, very efficient and friendly staff especially the restaurant where we had dinner on one of the nights, good food, well presented. Good breakfast plenty selection. We had a room at the front of the hotel which was nice although there was a wedding on that day and it was a quite noisy. Just one complaint, the lounge in the hotel was very cold but everything else was good. The hotel is in a great location, very central, within walking distance of all the shops, bars etc. We went to dinner in a little Thai place, the Yindee Downtown restaurant just beside the hotel which we would really recommend. There is a car park in the hotel with a charge of €5 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ella570

Dear Ella 570

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel, as you stated we are in a prime location with many of Kilkenny’s attractions within walking distance.

I do apologise for the heating in the residents lounge, this should have been noticed on the day and turned on.

I look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope that you had a very safe trip back home.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We only stayed one night and found the hotel very difficult to find with a car as the entrance is easy to miss. Not sure if after paying to stay you should be charged for parking in their own car park. Could not fault the service and the breakfast was excellent and plentiful. Would possibly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Irene F,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel, from our prime location to our wonderful offering at breakfast.

As we are a city centre Hotel parking is at a premium, many guests comment of how handy it is just to park the car for the duration of their stay, rather than having to pay taxi fares if they were staying one of the many Hotels on the outskirts of Kilkenny city.

I look forward to seeing welcoming you again to Kilkenny.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I had heard and read good reviews about this hotel, but having stayed here recently I will not be returning. There is nothing majorly wrong with the hotel, but equally there is no reason to select it over the number of other hotels in Kilkenny.
Firstly the positives, the location is ideal for exploring the city, and has a great view of the castle. The staff are very attentive, helpful and eager to please. A lot of other aspects of the hotel are only fine.
The negatives, the rooms have paper thin walls and you can clearly hear conversations in rooms on either side of you. People talking in the corridor sound like they are in the room with you. The menus are poor, with very little choice (why you would have liver for starter and main course on a very short menu is beyond me). The set menu has numerous dishes with supplementary charges (at least 8 dishes). The food isn't great.
The leisure centre closes at 6, which on a wet weekend is a joke. The drawing room/lounge is either freezing or roasting (and periodically changes between both over the evening). Charging for the car-park is an extra cost worth considering when calculating value for money.
All in all not worth the visit.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear dr_duddle,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay with us. In relation to the offering for dinner I have spoken with the kitchen team, in regard to the dinner supplements, there is a supplement charge on the steak and some on the chef’s signature dishes which are very popular. The chef has reviewed all of our inclusive menus.

I do apologise in relation to the heating in the residents lobby, further to your comment this has been addressed by maintenance. We do endeavour to keep disturbance from other guests to a minimum, I do apologise for any disturbance that you encountered. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly so as I may discuss your review and your stay in more detail.