“Ideal short break hotel”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Ireland
“Ideal short break hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here for a midweek break and enjoyed every minute, entrance located just meters before the River Nore. Extensive decking area under the shadow of Kilkenny and very popular for lunch in the sun. Always plenty to do in Kilkenny and still attracting the Hen/Stag parties.

1 Thank Kiri49
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kiri49

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the River Court Hotel, from our perfect location to our stunning terrace on the banks of the river Nore with spectacular views of Kilkenny Castle.

Weather visitors are staying midweek or at weekends Kilkenny has something to offer all tastes, from numerous restaurants and bars to many historical attractions.

It was a pleasure for the team in ensuring that you had a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.

E: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at the River Court and overall we were very satisfied. Our room was overlooking the river. It was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good and we have one evening meal which was also of a good standard. The staff were helpful and we have no problems. The location is great and very convenient to the many bars,cafés and restaurants in the town. The terrace area was in use as the weather was good and it was very pleasant for a drink.
The bar itself could perhaps do with freshening up as it was perhaps showing signs of wear and tear. All in all we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river
Dear George K,

I note that you also had an opportunity to dine in our award winning restaurant which also has an amazing view of Kilkenny Castle. Our location is ideal for any guest wishing to explore all the sights that Kilkenny has to offer.

From all the team at the Hotel we very much look forward to welcoming you to Kilkenny in the future. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your Holiday and had a very safe trip home.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We really enjoyed the view of the castle but the hotel was just average!!
Rooms were hot with no A/C and signs telling you to close your doors at night because of the river flies and I am sure the rodents from being so close to the river!!
The room and the bathroom was clean which I am sure is the most important part of staying in a hotel!!
The staff was very helpful and very nice!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra £ and get a castle view room after all it probably the main reason you went to kilkenn...
Dear Mark G,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the wonderful view of Kilkenny Castle from your room. As we are located on the banks of the river Nore we do have signs and insect guards on the windows of our river facing rooms, this is for the comfort of our guests. In relation to the A/C in the bedrooms, the vast majority of Older Irish Hotels would not have these, but with Irish summers not getting hotter year on year , this is something that we are considering.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Dublin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for one night in this lovely hotel. All areas were very clean and well kept. The room was very comfortable and spacious.

We did not have an evening meal here but the breakfast was very nice and freshly cooked buffet style which was being attended by a chef. I was looking around to see if I could see mushrooms, the chef asked me what I was looking for and then told me there were none on the buffet that morning but he went into the kitchen and had some prepared for me which was a very nice touch.

As I said we did not have an evening meal here, we ate out and when we returned to the hotel we had a couple of drinks on the outdoor area which runs along the outside of the hotel overlooking the river. We also had a few coffees sitting there the following day before leaving.

All the staff we came across were very friendly and helpful.

We would stay here again and would like to have an evening meal here based on the quality of the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ann F,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your staff from the full Irish breakfast to our stunning terrace area which is very popular with visitors to Kilkenny. I am pleased to read that the breakfast chef was very accommodating.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed for one evening for work . Location of the car park took me 3 attempts to find. Nice friendly reception and easy booking in. Room overlooking the car park, it was nice and clean and a good size. The bathroom was awful. Both the bath and sink was so low I went back down to reception as I thought it was a disable room but was told that all the bathrooms were like that..... horrible it really needs updating. I had dinner in the bar which was a Carvery but more like a very bad school dinner. Later that evening there was drilling on a nearby road... again went to ask them what it was and when was it going to stop to be told it was going to go on till 2am... it wasn't their fault... The doors to all the rooms don't shut quietly they bang and when I say bang I mean BANG!!! so after lots of people going in and out of their rooms... BANGING.... drilling.... it wasn't looking like I would get a good night sleep. But hey! around 12 ish or maybe a little later the drilling stopped... quite I thought great... NO!!! there were hotel guests in the car park talking... laughing... shouting...so around 12.45am I had enough and phone reception who apologised and said he would go and have a word with them... which he did. They were a little quieter but after a few minutes they started again. Eventually they went to bed... doors banging again. Breakfast finished at 10am. I arrived around 9.45 (I was shattered) Okay it was late but all there was of the breakfast buffet was all dried up. I have never had a fried egg bounce off my fork.. Thank goodness I was only there for one night. Its a great location and the staff are really friendly the hotel is clean.. but if your looking for a nice quite relaxing hotel this is not the one for you. Will I stay there again.... NEVER!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ychoos
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Yolanda F

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I sincerely apologise for the standard of accommodation you experienced during your stay with us. We are shortly beginning a full refurbishment of all areas of the Hotel including all of the Bedrooms.

In relation to the standard of bar food you experienced we are shortly introducing a bistro style bar menu which will improve greatly the choice and quality of the food in this area.

In relation to the drilling I can only state from all at the Hotel we very much apologise for this inconvenience. We were not given notification from the local county council that there would be drilling going on and especially at such a late hour, this of course disturbed a vast number of our guests and I have taken the matter up with the County Council.

In relation to the quality of breakfast as you can see from other reviews this is not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel. I have spoken to the chef and we have implemented procedures to address these issues.

I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly so that I may discuss your stay with you in person. I would hope that after the major refurbishments planned for the Hotel that you will afford me the opportunity to regain your faith in the River Court Hotel.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights at the River Court where we were attending a wedding.

The hotel did a great job with the wedding. Loads of staff around all day and always very friendly. Great food with no long delays between courses (which can't be easy when they were presumably also serving food to other hotel guests not attending the wedding). Great location for a special occasion overlooking the river and castle.

We were though a bit disappointed with our room. Even though we were only in one of the cheaper rooms it was still very expensive for what we got. While the room was a good size the bed was tiny, much smaller than any bed we've ever had before and wasn't particularly comfortable. There really was hardly room for 2 people.

And again for the price we paid there were some disappointing touches like cheap toilet roll, scratchy towels, and loads of stains on the carpets. Plus the biscuits in the room were cheap and they were really tight with the tea and coffee. I'm sure we could have got more but just giving 2 tea bags is not exactly generous!

The room wasn't terrible but as I've said even though one of the cheaper ones it was still very expensive and the little things really let it down.

Breakfast was plentiful but not the best quality we've had, and not particularly hot. Excellent white pudding though I have to say and all served in a very nice breakfast room.

In conclusion great staff, great location and they really know how to put on a wedding. But because of the price and quality of the room I'd be tempted to stay somewhere else if I was ever back in Kilkenny.

• Stayed July 2014
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Lodnol,

Thank you for your posting your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. Feedback from our guests constructive or otherwise is always welcome as we strive at all times in providing a high level of service to all.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of the Wedding that you attended, the service that we provide to all of our wedding is something that we are very proud of and the high number of weddings we do each year is testament to this.

I am of course disappointed that you found the standard of accommodation not to be what you expected. We are planning a full refurbishment of all of your bedrooms over the next few months and I assure you that on your next visit that you will see a marked improvement in the little touches.

In relation to breakfast I am also disappointed, as you can see from previous reviews our breakfast is always complimented upon, I will discuss your comments with the Chef, as the saying goes breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Please do contact me directly when visiting Kilkenny again and I am sure that I can tempt you to stay at the River Court and personally show you the improvements in the accommodation. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to Kilkenny.

Cork
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with good location, comfy rooms and most of all, an excellent breakfast. We thoroughly enjoyed our break and found the staff to be so helpful and courteous. Bright airy room with nice quality bed linen and great fluffy towels. Food also very good in the restaurant

Stayed January 2014
Dear FlorentinaFancy

Thank you for your posting your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. Feedback from our guests is essential .I am glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, from the comfortable room to our award winning restaurant set on the banks of the river Nore.

We look forward to seeing you again soon in Kilkenny and ensuring that your stay at the River Court Hotel is a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.