“Lovely hotel let down by poor service”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Wexford, Ireland
“Lovely hotel let down by poor service”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I recently travelled to the River Court Hotel to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday with 10 of my siblings. This was a rare family get together with some members travelling from overseas. We had heard great reviews of the hotel and were looking forward to enjoying top class service during our 2 day stay.

On arrival we were too early for check-in but the lady at reception took our details to contact us once the room was ready and stored our luggage until then. We returned at 1.30pm having gone for lunch and proceeded to check in to the room which was bright and airy.

That afternoon we went to the hotel bar to enjoy a few pre-dinner drinks. We ordered mojitos but were told "We don't have any mint leaves" at which point I volunteered to purchase some. The response to this was "Just give me a minute and take a seat outside" which we duly did. The barman then reappeared with the cocktails in hand, leaving us wondering why he couldn't have done this in the first place.

When ordering a second round of mojitos, we were told by the bar manager that he didn't know how to make them and would have to get someone else to do so. After 15 minutes we were served our drinks.

Dinner was booked for 8pm in the beautiful dining room. The table was set for 12, with another table in the room set for a larger group of 16. The room was well appointed with comfortable leather seats at all other tables, including the table for the other large party, however we were seated on standard banquet chairs which looked out of place and gave the impression that we were less valued. When this was pointed out to the staff, they did change the chairs, but I feel that this should have been done from the start. The delph at our table also seemed to be very basic in comparison to the elegant, china-like settings at other tables.

The food during dinner was ok, with my salmon and stuffed crab tasting like water. The only saving grace was my hake which was delicious.

On the second day of our stay, we returned to the bar at 3.15pm and requested two mojitos from the bar manager. We were told that there was a wedding arriving to the hotel at 4pm and so there were no cocktails being served until after then. Clearly, they were understaffed, but it appeared that the wedding party was of more importance than our custom and that we were not valued guests. When I tried to order the cocktails later that night I was again told by the bar manager that cocktails were not being made, however a guest further down the bar was drinking a Black Russian. I found this to be setting a double standard for guests again, similar to the service during the meal the night beforehand. Having spoken to my siblings it seemed that the majority also had some grievances, such as being ignored at the bar for such a length of time that they left and visited a bar across the road; ordering sandwiches at 7pm and being told to go to the BBQ instead; as well as other complaints about the standard of food during dinner on the Friday night. When we told the Assistant General Manager of these complaints he offered us a round of drinks with his compliments and apologised for the level of service we had received.

Overall, we enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and felt that it offered bright, airy, comfortable accommodation with fantastic views over the Castle and River. Staff overall were friendly and helpful, however, the bar staff seemed stretched, poorly trained and less accommodating than staff elsewhere in the hotel. Being in the hotel to celebrate a milestone birthday, we were expecting a greater level of service and hospitality as we wanted to spoil our mother on her 80th birthday and have her leave feeling like she had received the royal treatment. Instead, she was upset at feeling like a less than important guest due to the table settings at the dinner and the level of service received. This was not the experience we wanted her to have.

3 Thank jiggig
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Jiggig,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. As you stated you booked your family event on the basis of hearing great reviews about the Hotel. I assure you that myself and all of the team have read in great detail the issues that you had during your stay and we have already addressed as to how these occurred.

From all of the team we would like to sincerely apologise for our short comings and as you can see from the vast majority of other reviewers we do and can provide all of your guests with a high level of service. Feedback is vital to us, whether it is positive or constructive.

I have already personally contacted Pat who made the booking and Martin Gallagher the Deputy General Manager spoke in great detail to your Mother before she left. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly so as we may discuss your stay further.
I look forward to hearing from you.

T: +353 (0) 56 7723388

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The location is second to none. The rooms are quite cute but showing their age. There were lots of chipped tiles and signs of age in our room. The size was good. The hotel restaurant was great. Breakfast was great. We had a great visit with family in the pub. The rooms were way too hot though. They really need to get their temperature control in check. We got in trouble for keeping our windows open.

I took my kids swimming there. For some reason swim caps were mandatory and cost three euros each.

Good hotel. If they could get their room temperature under control I would have raved about this hotel.

Oh, no hair dyers in the room. That was a problem.

Dear Jules26Edmonton,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your observations. In relation to the bedrooms, the Hotel is 15 years old and we are now very shortly starting a full refurbishment of all the bedrooms, public areas. These refurbishments will only enhance the guest experience even more.

Swimming caps are mandatory in all public swimming pools. In relation to the room temperature this will be addressed through our planned refurbishment plans.

From all the team we are delighted that you and your kids enjoyed your stay, and we assure you that on your next visit you will see a marked improvement in the observations you highlighted.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The staff, and I wish I had their names, were just great. Very helpful and extremely friendly. Great location. If you're driving, you might just drive right past as there is no sign except when you're actually in front of it as it is on the wall over the entrance to the car park, so just know it's on the river exactly opposite the castle. The room was fine. There is a sign about keeping windows closed due to flies from river, but they have a screen on one, so you can open that. They might want to consider using more screens so more windows can be open. Other than that, a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear TravelerSteve2014,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. As with all of our Guests the location, standard of service and customer care is what they remember most about their stay. The Hotel is set in the most perfect location for our guests, you can just park your car and the Hotel is within walking distance from all that Kilkenny has to offer.

As General Manager I am very fortunate to have staff who excel in looking after all of our guests.
I have taken note of your comment in relation to the extra insect guard, all have our river facing rooms do have these for the comfort of guests.

From all the team we hope you had a very enjoyable trip around Ireland and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed in Kilkenny River Court Hotel with my sisters and nieces. On arrival at the hotel we were checked in by friendly welcoming staff. We then had a stroll around wonderful Kilkenny. Later that night we had a wonderful meal in the restaurant but unfortunately one of my sisters and niece had to go home due to an emergency. On checking out they were not charged for their room and the staff wished them a safe journey and hoped that all would be ok. The rest of us stayed and enjoyed a very good night in Kilkenny. I will definitely return as we had a vey enjoyable weekend.. Staff extremely friendly great service. Food excellent especial breakfast

I would like to thanks to Martin Gallagher (Deputy General Manager) & all the staff of Kilkenny River Court - looking forward to our next trip already...

Dear Longvalley55

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the River Court Hotel, from our perfect location to our stunning terrace on the banks of the river Nore with spectacular views of Kilkenny Castle. The Hotel is extremely popular for family gatherings and events such as your own.

I am pleased that we were able to assist in some small way in relation to the family emergency and I have passed on your thanks to Martin and the rest of the team.

Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here for a midweek break and enjoyed every minute, entrance located just meters before the River Nore. Extensive decking area under the shadow of Kilkenny and very popular for lunch in the sun. Always plenty to do in Kilkenny and still attracting the Hen/Stag parties.

1 Thank Kiri49
Dear Kiri49

Weather visitors are staying midweek or at weekends Kilkenny has something to offer all tastes, from numerous restaurants and bars to many historical attractions.

It was a pleasure for the team in ensuring that you had a most comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at the River Court and overall we were very satisfied. Our room was overlooking the river. It was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good and we have one evening meal which was also of a good standard. The staff were helpful and we have no problems. The location is great and very convenient to the many bars,cafés and restaurants in the town. The terrace area was in use as the weather was good and it was very pleasant for a drink.
The bar itself could perhaps do with freshening up as it was perhaps showing signs of wear and tear. All in all we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river
Dear George K,

I note that you also had an opportunity to dine in our award winning restaurant which also has an amazing view of Kilkenny Castle. Our location is ideal for any guest wishing to explore all the sights that Kilkenny has to offer.

From all the team at the Hotel we very much look forward to welcoming you to Kilkenny in the future. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your Holiday and had a very safe trip home.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We really enjoyed the view of the castle but the hotel was just average!!
Rooms were hot with no A/C and signs telling you to close your doors at night because of the river flies and I am sure the rodents from being so close to the river!!
The room and the bathroom was clean which I am sure is the most important part of staying in a hotel!!
The staff was very helpful and very nice!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra £ and get a castle view room after all it probably the main reason you went to kilkenn...
Dear Mark G,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the wonderful view of Kilkenny Castle from your room. As we are located on the banks of the river Nore we do have signs and insect guards on the windows of our river facing rooms, this is for the comfort of our guests. In relation to the A/C in the bedrooms, the vast majority of Older Irish Hotels would not have these, but with Irish summers not getting hotter year on year , this is something that we are considering.

Once again thank you for your comments.