“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here on a 'golden years' break in mid July with another couple. This was our first visit to Kilkenny and the Hotel was completely unknown to us. But it was great value - especially as the conversion rate from GB pounds to Euros is very good at present. Getting in and out of the hotel through two separate and narrow archways from and to the main street can prove difficult - especially when the hotel is busy. There is limited car parking around the main hotel entrance - but there is lots of space at the back of the hotel which is accessed by a single entry / exit point. I suspect this can at times be a problem when the hotel is full.

After a friendly welcome at reception etc we found our room to be bright, well appointed and attractive. But my wife and I agreed it was "well lived in" and could perhaps do with some upgrading. In particular, I noted that the large bed had a sag in the middle and was somewhat 'noisy' when slept in! The bathroom was well equipped with nice towels and accessories but the very nice impression was somewhat reduced by the neglected or chipped surrounding of the main wash hand basin mirror. But these are largely quibbles - and the shower over the bath was one of the best we have experienced.

The restaurant is lovely and the table settings equally so. The dinner menu for those of us on a special deal was adequate but still good value for the price we were paying. The breakfasts were as good as any hotel we have stayed in. Most enjoyable.

Overall this is a v large, busy hotel which probably needs just that little bit of attention to detail in order to keep up standards of excellence. Some of the dark furniture probably needs refurbishment - given the amount of usage it has to endure. But these are not criticisms - just helpful pointers which Management might note.

We have no hesitation in saying we would return to the River Court - and wish the hotel well. Kilkenny is a lovely place to visit and we will so recommend to our friends in N Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Moli27,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to the River Court Hotel and for your valued custom. It is always a pleasure hearing such positive feedback from our guests and observations as well. As you mentioned parts of the Hotel are “ well lived in “, the Hotel is 15 years old and after many very successful years we are now very shortly starting a full refurbishment of all the bedrooms, public areas. This will only enhance the guest experience. I do apologise if some of the décor or works required took from your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience and that the weather was good enough for you to enjoy our very popular terrace, an ideal setting for enjoying the weather and views of Kilkenny castle.

From all of the team and myself, we hope you had a very safe drive home and we all look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

E: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We picked this hotel as the group that met up are living all over the country now so found this easy for all of us to get there .. So Glad we Did we were so well looked after in the bar before dinner and in the restaurant for dinner food was very good and service attentive but not over the top .. bed rooms were clean and tidy and breakfast was enjoyable . a quick swim in morning did the world of good to get some of us going for the day . Had stayed on family short break also could not find a fault will return shortly thanks to all the team !!! keep up the good work ..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear fussybutnice033,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to the River Court Hotel and for your valued custom. I am pleased to read that not only have you visited the Hotel for a reunion but also stayed with family before.

The Hotel is ideally located in Kilkenny for exploring all that Kilkenny has to offer, but also Kilkenny is ideally located for such events as the reunion you attended as Kilkenny is relatively central for all traveling from all over Ireland.
I will pass on your very positive comments and thanks to all the team.

Once again thank your review and from all the team we hope you had a very safe trip home and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My self and my partner spent an amazing 2 night stay here. I have been to kilkenny many times and have always wanted to stay at the Kilkenny River Court as the reviews have always been excellent but was always booked out. We stayed fri and sat night with dinner on the sat night. Our meal was excellent with a varied menu, something for everyone. The restaurant was bright and airy with great views of the castle. During our stay we also had some cocktails on the terrace which in the good weather with the views was fab. All in all this is a great hotel with a great central location. Friendly and accommodating staff. Bright and airy bedrooms and a lovely spa and leisure centre (which unfortunately we didn't get to use). I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will certainly be back :-)

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear lovestotravel26

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to the River Court Hotel and for your valued custom. I know all the team at the Hotel will be delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. I am delighted that you experienced the varied choices on our dinner menus served the main restaurant of the Hotel and afterwards enjoyed cocktails on our very popular terrace.

Once again thank you for your very positive comments and from all the team we hope you had a very safe trip home and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel. The room was wonderful with a spectacular view of Kilkenny Castle. We had dinner at the hotel. it was a delicious gourmet, three course meal with a view of the castle. The hotel is in the small, medieval town of Kilkenny. I was sorry that I didn't plan on spenting more time at this town. We didn't have enough time to use the spa or pool but it was nice to know that they had those facilities. The hotel is in town and walking distance to everything the town has to offer.

Dear sistersvacationvegas,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the River Court Hotel and Kilkenny. I am delighted that you had the opportunity to dine in our river side restaurant which is located on the bank of the river Nore and has a fantastic view of Kilkenny castle. As you stated in your review the Hotel is located in the heart of Kilkenny city and is ideal for visiting the many attractions.

I hope on your next visit will be a little longer so that you will have time to take in all that Kilkenny as a medieval town and tourist hub has to offer.

Once again thank you for your very positive comments and from all the team we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and had a very safe trip home.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Yesterday, 22nd July 2014 I was having a nice time in Kilkenny, Ireland until I visited the outside bar/dinning area of the hotel overlooking the river and Kilkenny Castle - truly a lovely spot.
On entering the covered outside patio there is a sign stating "Table Service in Operation" - so I sit down and wait to be served. After 10 mins I ask a waitress if I could get served. She asks " Do you have a menu? To which I say "No". She throws her eyes to heaven and insinuate - well there you go..... Before I can tell her I just want a drink/glass of wine she is off in with a shrug of the shoulders. On returning I tell her that I just want a drink to which she says "We don't serve drinks a the table, only food and afternoon tea" I ask "How do I get a drink then?" Waitress says "Well you have to get up and go to the bar yourself and if you have a problem with that you can take it up with Management....." and walks off..... I got out of my chair and left the place in a semi state of shock.... Clearly this individual is in the wrong job and is doing damage to the hotels reputation and the enjoyment of visiting sunny Kilkenny.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CyclingViking

Dear CyclingViking,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to our stunning Terrace. As General Manager I am so disappointed to read of the experience you had, this is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel and I assure you that all of the team at the Hotel are committed in providing our guests with a high level of service at all times. I am personally investigating this incident and I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly so that we may discuss this further.

As you can see from other reviews the terrace is the main attraction for many guests and locals during good weather, and at times we can have massive footfall in this area, however as General Manager I must ensure that the team working on the terrace are all fully committed to the service of their guests. I can only apologise on behalf of all the team for what occurred and assure you that I will personally ensure such an incident does not occur again.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I recently travelled to the River Court Hotel to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday with 10 of my siblings. This was a rare family get together with some members travelling from overseas. We had heard great reviews of the hotel and were looking forward to enjoying top class service during our 2 day stay.

On arrival we were too early for check-in but the lady at reception took our details to contact us once the room was ready and stored our luggage until then. We returned at 1.30pm having gone for lunch and proceeded to check in to the room which was bright and airy.

That afternoon we went to the hotel bar to enjoy a few pre-dinner drinks. We ordered mojitos but were told "We don't have any mint leaves" at which point I volunteered to purchase some. The response to this was "Just give me a minute and take a seat outside" which we duly did. The barman then reappeared with the cocktails in hand, leaving us wondering why he couldn't have done this in the first place.

When ordering a second round of mojitos, we were told by the bar manager that he didn't know how to make them and would have to get someone else to do so. After 15 minutes we were served our drinks.

Dinner was booked for 8pm in the beautiful dining room. The table was set for 12, with another table in the room set for a larger group of 16. The room was well appointed with comfortable leather seats at all other tables, including the table for the other large party, however we were seated on standard banquet chairs which looked out of place and gave the impression that we were less valued. When this was pointed out to the staff, they did change the chairs, but I feel that this should have been done from the start. The delph at our table also seemed to be very basic in comparison to the elegant, china-like settings at other tables.

The food during dinner was ok, with my salmon and stuffed crab tasting like water. The only saving grace was my hake which was delicious.

On the second day of our stay, we returned to the bar at 3.15pm and requested two mojitos from the bar manager. We were told that there was a wedding arriving to the hotel at 4pm and so there were no cocktails being served until after then. Clearly, they were understaffed, but it appeared that the wedding party was of more importance than our custom and that we were not valued guests. When I tried to order the cocktails later that night I was again told by the bar manager that cocktails were not being made, however a guest further down the bar was drinking a Black Russian. I found this to be setting a double standard for guests again, similar to the service during the meal the night beforehand. Having spoken to my siblings it seemed that the majority also had some grievances, such as being ignored at the bar for such a length of time that they left and visited a bar across the road; ordering sandwiches at 7pm and being told to go to the BBQ instead; as well as other complaints about the standard of food during dinner on the Friday night. When we told the Assistant General Manager of these complaints he offered us a round of drinks with his compliments and apologised for the level of service we had received.

Overall, we enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and felt that it offered bright, airy, comfortable accommodation with fantastic views over the Castle and River. Staff overall were friendly and helpful, however, the bar staff seemed stretched, poorly trained and less accommodating than staff elsewhere in the hotel. Being in the hotel to celebrate a milestone birthday, we were expecting a greater level of service and hospitality as we wanted to spoil our mother on her 80th birthday and have her leave feeling like she had received the royal treatment. Instead, she was upset at feeling like a less than important guest due to the table settings at the dinner and the level of service received. This was not the experience we wanted her to have.

3  Thank jiggig

Dear Jiggig,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. As you stated you booked your family event on the basis of hearing great reviews about the Hotel. I assure you that myself and all of the team have read in great detail the issues that you had during your stay and we have already addressed as to how these occurred.

From all of the team we would like to sincerely apologise for our short comings and as you can see from the vast majority of other reviewers we do and can provide all of your guests with a high level of service. Feedback is vital to us, whether it is positive or constructive.

I have already personally contacted Pat who made the booking and Martin Gallagher the Deputy General Manager spoke in great detail to your Mother before she left. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly so as we may discuss your stay further.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The location is second to none. The rooms are quite cute but showing their age. There were lots of chipped tiles and signs of age in our room. The size was good. The hotel restaurant was great. Breakfast was great. We had a great visit with family in the pub. The rooms were way too hot though. They really need to get their temperature control in check. We got in trouble for keeping our windows open.

I took my kids swimming there. For some reason swim caps were mandatory and cost three euros each.

Good hotel. If they could get their room temperature under control I would have raved about this hotel.

Oh, no hair dyers in the room. That was a problem.

Dear Jules26Edmonton,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your observations. In relation to the bedrooms, the Hotel is 15 years old and we are now very shortly starting a full refurbishment of all the bedrooms, public areas. These refurbishments will only enhance the guest experience even more.

Swimming caps are mandatory in all public swimming pools. In relation to the room temperature this will be addressed through our planned refurbishment plans.

From all the team we are delighted that you and your kids enjoyed your stay, and we assure you that on your next visit you will see a marked improvement in the observations you highlighted.
We all look forward to seeing you all again soon.