“Nice hotel in a cute spot, that could use screens and be more organized”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was one of our hotels on an 8-day trip to Ireland with eleven family members. The trip was marvelously arranged through Maloney and Kelly Travel. All of the accommodations were much more luxurious than we would usually choose, but given the group price each was a very worthwhile splurge. We travelled in a 12 person coach with our private driver and guide Donal Scannell (donal@chauffeuredtoursireland.com), who was a wonderful guide and a lovely and charming person. It was truly a trip of a lifetime.
The entry into the hotel "courtyard" is either through a small path along the river or a small gateway from the street. The courtyard has very limited parking, however, which means that our van and many other cars had to use the parking area at the rear of the building. The signage directing cars to the correct spots was poor and the ability to get in and out seemed to depend at least for departures, to spend on the availability of hotel staff to work the arms that block incoming and exiting traffic.
The entry into the lobby is warm and inviting and the staff were friendly and helpful. The renovated lobby and breakfast area is bright with lots of glass and there is pleasant outdoor seating for drinks, dinners or functions. Everything is well cared for.
The hotel has a potentially lovely location set on the river across from the castle and a lovely walking path. However, the decks on the side toward the river are tiny and we were specifically asked not to open the door to the deck because bugs would get in the room. This was actually a bit of a problem, since the temperatures were warm, the humidity high and there was no AC unit. We were able to open a small window about 30 degrees and then blow that cooler air into the room with a small, noisy fan. 3 out of 6 rooms from members in our party had no fan, and essentially all had "heat" issues especially if they were off the river since they then had no door and some were unable to open the smaller window. The decks were also a security issue since all the decks on the 1st floor, where we were staying, were linked and accessible to one another across an external deck surface. The room itself was pleasantly large, with one nondescript painting of flowers and 2 mirrors for wall decoration. The walls were clean and nicely painted in a light tan. There were 2 side tables on each side of the comfortable king bed with soft linens, a comforter and 4 large pillows. The WiFi was free but had no password, which I prefer for security reasons. In addition the WiFi signal was very weak and did not work at all in rooms from 111 to 117. It seemed to work better in the lobby if needed. The room lights were adequate but the lights on the side tables by the bed were very dim and suboptimal for reading. Clothing storage space was adequate in a low dresser with 2 drawers. There was also a good size wood armoire with wooden hangers. The bathroom was small with nice products, including shampoo, gel and lotion, but very limited vanity surface space for "ditty" bags and contents. There were large but not so soft towels but a good supply of all size towels including face cloths. There was a hair dryer available and also tissues. Our biggest problem, however, was the party noise until 3 AM from the pubs just across the river in the town. According to hotel staff and town people, the party crowd comes out here from Dublin to drink and carouse on a regular basis on most Friday nights and pretty much every Saturday night during reasonable weather. Having an AC unit and being able to close the window would have helped most of us get a little better sleep. Breakfast was in a pretty area with adequate cold and hot selections but not exceptional quality.
I would avoid this place in warm weather, and avoid any rooms facing toward the town or river on Friday and Saturday nights.

Room Tip: Stay away from the river side on Friday and Saturday nights and if the weather is at all warm, make...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Dave W43323,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very valued custom. I am delighted that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us in Kilkenny. Thank you for your comment as feedback from our guests weather positive or constructive is always welcome and helps myself and the team improve on what we do best. I will review the signage in our car parks. In relation to the A/C , we do have plans for a full refurbishment of all bedrooms and this will be considered along with the lighting.

As we are located in the heart of Kilkenny, we do on occasion experience some noise from the city centre, but with our planned refurbishments of the bedrooms this of course will be limited going forward. I am disappointed that you felt the quality of our breakfast could have been better, I will certainly ensure that this is monitored going forward.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the bar and terrace area, which can have a fantastic atmosphere when the weather is good. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your family trip around Ireland .
From all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the River Court Hotel in the future and hope that you had a very safe trip home.

E: gm@rivercourthotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,780)

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

23 people came for a family celebration . When I had just taken a drink from my Pint a wasp flew in to my glass ,as we sat on the balcony outside the bar over looking the river. I went back into the bar man and told him what just happened while out on the hotel deck and asked for a replacement drink but to my surprise the staff member refused to replace the drink and told me I had to buy another. As we were a large group taking up 11 rooms and the rounds of drinks averaged €100+ I was amazed how this guy treated me. The cost of a drink to the hotel is around €2 . When I told the rest of the group what happened , we left after that drink and went to another bar for a drink. Very poor bar management causing the hotel lost revenue . Also the noise out side the hotel from around the area is terrible and keeps you awake at night. The charge of €5 for car parking is a bit of a rip off too . Won't be going back.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Conor K
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Conor K

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I was very disappointed to read of your experience in the main bar of the Hotel. We do aspire to achieve very high standards of service within the hotel through daily staff training and I am sorry that we have let down on this occasion.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly via email at DeclanMoriarty@Rivercourthotel.com so that I may learn more about your experience with us and take the appropriate corrective action in a constructive manner.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed there one night and paid extra for Castle view. No table and chairs on the balcony, noise from bar and the door to the balcony was half hanging off. Not worth it. Breakfast the next morning - had to wait for a table as the dining room was full. We were told that this wasn't there fault it was because all the guest decided to come down to breakfast at the same time!!!!! Breakfast plates were cold, very little food left and had to wait for sausages and eggs to be cooked. All in all I taught it was very poor. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mazz2

Dear Mazz 2,

Thank you for posting your recent review. In relation to our room balconies, we do not have table and chairs on them as the balconies themselves are not suitable to hold such furniture, however we are in the midst of a refurbishment programme for the entire hotel and this is something that we can consider for the bedrooms.

I was very disappointed to read that our breakfast served was not to your satisfaction and I will certainly be looking into the comments that you have made on this and taking constructive corrective action to improve upon the points that you have made. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel or on email at DeclanMoriarty@Rivercourthotel.com to discuss your stay in more detail.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have recently returned from a two night pamper break in the River Court Hotel. I am not usually one to write reviews on Tripadvisor but I really thought this is an experience that everyone should have and know about, two of the most relaxing days in a long long time!!! Hosted by a fabulous, professional, smiling team, led by the Declan the General Manager. Superb food, superb service, lots of bubbles in the most beautiful setting beside the river looking across at Kilkenny Castle. Located just off the main street, a stones throw away everywhere, nothing is a problem in this Hotel, your wish is their command!
I cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sorcha F

Dear SorchaF,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very valued custom. I am delighted that you enjoyed your two night break away and had the opportunity to experience all areas of the Hotel and had time to see all the wonderful sights that Kilkenny has to offer.

It was a pleasure meeting with you in person and ensuring that you had a most comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Only stayed here for one night, quite comfortable but could do with a little renovation. Did not have food here, only breakfast which was adequate but again could do with being reviewed. The best part of this was the view from the dining room, that of the majestic castle and its closeness to the centre of all .

Room Tip: Nice for a weekend to do some sightseeing and also have a meal or drink outside the hotel. Again...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear abbafanMeath,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us and for your very valued custom. Thank you for your constructive comments, we are just started our refurbishments which will include all public areas and bedrooms in the first phase, after 15 years of very successful trading

I agree that certain areas are in need of refurbishments. I assure you that these works will only enhance the guest experience while keeping the ambience and character of the Hotel intact.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

3 adults 1 child lunchtime 1 PM. Sitting on the deck area near river... nothing was set up for the carvery lunch. We finally went in to order food but the 3 people working there seemed to be under pressure setting up for lunch. We ordered 3 salads and and baby dinner bowl. The baby's dinner looked apetizing but our salads looked grim. Mine was called Mimosa salad.. consisting of 5 leaves 2 tiny uncooked potatoes. 2 beans and repulsive dressing. Which cost €7.95 and might happily feed a duck that was swimming get past in the lovely river..
Best part was the view of the castle
.and the delicious desert
and coffee we enjoyed at Langtons courtyard in John st afterwards....

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Lulabelle4

Dear Lulabella 4

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to the River Court Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments and would be grateful if you could contact me here at the hotel directly or on email at DeclanMoriarty@Rivercourthotel.com. We aim to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

We always appreciate an opportunity to engage with our guests in a constructive manner and I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly so that we may learn more about your visit and use this feedback in a constructive way to improve for the future.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Be warned! In over 40 years of travel, I have never been turned away from a hotel with a confirmed reservation in my hand. This happened at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel. We booked a room four months in advance of our June trip. We emailed the hotel to reconfirm our reservation and received the confirmation for the date we booked. But when we arrived, they claimed they did not have a reservation for us. We handed them our confirmations and the receptionist went to the back room to talk to the manager. Still no room and the hotel was fully booked. The manager never even bothered to come out to face us. They simply sent us away. No compensation, no apology. They gave us the name and address of another hotel. We had to ask them to call the hotel to check if there was an available room. Terrible service for a (supposedly) 4 star hotel. We lost an hour and a half of our one- day visit to Kilkenny sorting this out. By the time we ventured into town, things were closing up. It was a disaster.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Beth G

Dear Beth G,

Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay at the River Court Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments on the experience that you received at the hotel and would really like an opportunity to speak with you in person about this.

We do welcome all feedback and do try and use all feedback constructively to ensure that we continue to improve our service delivery and I hope that you will contact me directly to discuss your experience. Please feel free to email me at Declan.Moriarty@Rivercourthotel.com or call the hotel directly.