“Nice hotel but (some) very noisy rooms”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights over the August bank holiday weekend. The 1st room we were in was nice but the noise at night was too much. We could here the people next door when they came in about 3 am and then everytime they used THERE bathroom, it was like a steam train going through our room,218. We explained to reception the next morning and were moved to a room at the back of the hotel which was much quieter. Only had breakfast one morning and it was very good, food and especially the service and room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the castle side of the hotel, they seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dougal59
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear dougal59,

Thank you for posting your review of your stay at the River Court Hotel. I do apologise that your nights sleep was disturbed by other guests, we do our utmost to ensure all of our guests have a peaceful and relaxing stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed all of the other aspects of your stay from breakfast to the high quality of service.

Please do ask for me in person when visiting Kilkenny again so that I may offer you my hospitality and personally ensure that you have an enjoyable and peaceful stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

After going round in a circle, we found the entry under an arch just after crossing the bridge. Car parking was plentiful, and close to reception. A modernish property - certainly not a period proprerty. Rooms were good size, but no privacy due overlooking gthe rooms on the other side of the property , and they overlooked the carpark. Noise wasnt a problem. Restaurant was impressive - visually, however the service was non-existent. The atmosphere lead you to think the restaurant would be of a high standard - but it wasnt. Some of the meals didnt arrive at all - I think it may have been due to a language barrier. The location of the hotel was close to the city and the city allowed for easy walking about. There were some lovely pubs close to the hotel and the music was good. The view from the hotel of the castle was impressive and the balcony restaurant was a beautiful location to watch the ducks and the walled city while having a coffee. Loved waling in the city - it was delightful and you could feel the history in the cobbled lanes. High recommend you try it out and visit the pubs along the river side.

Room Tip: one overlooking the river maybe the quietest, however we didnt have any noise issues at all. lifts...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ag021

Dear ag 201,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to the River Court Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments and would be grateful if you could contact me here at the hotel directly or on email at GM@Rivercourthotel.com

. We aim to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in this regard. As you can see from previous reviews this is certainly not the standard that one can expect from the River Court Hotel.

We always appreciate an opportunity to engage with our guests in a constructive manner and I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly so that we may learn more about your visit and use this feedback in a constructive way to improve for the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and myself stopped here for lunch today and because it was such a nice day we sat outside, we were attended to almost as soon as we sat down and the waitress was very friendly and any thing we asked for was no bother. Overall we had a great lunch and great service and at a very reasonable price in a very beautiful setting by the river.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

A very well run establishment. Staff are courteous and always diligent towards guests requirements.Restaurant is excellent and the bar is also very well appointed.This hotel has a warm
relaxed feel despite its busy undercurrent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Henry V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to the River Court Hotel on Trip Advisor and for your very valued custom. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This wasn't my first choice for hotel in Kilkenny however choose it as most hotels were fully booked. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable our stay was. Everything in the hotel was above expectations. It was easy to park, the staff in reception were very efficient and friendly, the room was a good size, and had one of the most comfortable hotel beds I can remember. The breakfast room is really nice, lots of big windows overlooking the river and castle, and the breakfast itself was excellent with a great variety of food. What really impressed me was the staff at breakfast who were obviously very well trained, always ensuring the buffet was re-stocked and quickly clearing tables as soon as diners left. So often you come down to breakfast in a hotel to find none of the tables have been cleared with residents often clearing the table themselves as there is nowhere to sit. I look forward to staying here on my next visit to Kilkenny.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
DeclanMoriarty, General Manager at Kilkenny River Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Daisy 1279,

Thank you for posting your very positive review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us from our guest friendly parking to our well known breakfast buffet. We do offer a great choice of cold and hot items in a restaurant with fantastic views of Kilkenny castle. I am pleased also to read that you will visit the Hotel when in Kilkenny again.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have never been SO embarrassed in my life to recommend a hotel to anybody, no less my aunt and uncle celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary with their family and friends (30 people in total) all flown in from England especially. Overall the customer service was second rate (at best), the food was poor, they screwed around with reservations and never resolved any issues that arose.

1. My aunt and uncle booked the Earl of Ormonde Suite - MONTHS - in advance, the day of arrival they were refused this room as it was given to a wedding party. They were offered no apologies, no compensation and no alternative arrangements.

2. At dinner my cousins ordered a 60 euro bottle of wine and were given plan old tumbler glasses to drink out of. When they requested wine glasses (which they shouldn't have had to in the first place!) they were brushed off and never got them.

3. The breakfast in the morning barely resembled breakfast, McDonalds breakfast was a step up.

4. There was literally zero customer service for their entire stay, the entire hotel was focused on the wedding and completely ignored their other guests - including my family members who had flown in for a 50th wedding anniversary, booked a suite they didn't get and were treated like crap for their stay. They put in complaints that were never resolved, goes to show management priority is more focused on bringing in revenue from hosting weddings not realizing they have other guests to cater to.

5. If you want to stay in the Rivercourt, trust me - the castle view is not worth it. Pop round for a pint, take a few pictures on the veranda while your there and stay at Langtons or the Pembroke where they actually care about their guests and customer service.

Room Tip: Go to Langtons up the street, much better food, value and better service.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank cha3370

Dear cha3370,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the River Court Hotel. I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your most recent family occasion as I myself personally checked on all of the guests attending on the day that you had the family lunch and I made a presentation to your aunt and uncle from the staff and management of the Hotel, I personally spoke with your Aunt and Uncle on the morning after and they were delighted with all aspects of their stay, so I am disappointed that there were issues that I was not aware of that marred your stay with us. Feedback weather positive or constructive is always welcome.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly via email at GM@Rivercourthotel.com so that I may learn more about your experience in greater detail with us and take the appropriate corrective action in a constructive manner.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Overall, an enjoyable stay. Room was comfortable, large, and clean. It was a bit warm, but a fan was provided and it was quiet enough to open the window. Free parking is limited, but pay parking is adjacent to the hotel and reasonable, although the pay kiosk is very well concealed in plain sight. Location was excellent, a very short walk to shopping pubs and restaurants, but just far enough away to be reasonably quiet. The view from the dining room is great, I would have liked to have had a room on the same side of the building, but with a family room at a discount rate I don't expect the best view available.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Zubenelgenubi,

Thank you for posting your very positive review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. As you stated we are in a perfect location for exploring all the sights that Kilkenny has to offer.

From all the team thank you again for your wonderful review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Kilkenny in the future. We hope you enjoyed the remainder of your holiday in Ireland and that you and your family had a very safe trip home.