“Great city centre hotel in riverside location with castle views”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin
“Great city centre hotel in riverside location with castle views”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We had three days here with breakfast and dinner each day. We got a special deal for 'oldies' - It was good value and we enjoyed our stay. One of the receptionists could have been a bit more friendly but she was business-like. The dining room staff were great and our room was fine with a free upgrade to a room with river and castle view. The staff were from many countries and each wore a flag corresponding to their nationality - a nice touch we thought. The service was excellent. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

1 Thank FANDA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I loved most of my three-day stay in the River Court. It's a smart hotel, all the amenities, plus some nice extra touches, and a mostly-attentive staff. Its location is perfect if you want to explore the city - it's located in the center and you can walk anywhere else from the hotel.

The only problems I had here were 1) a noisy room when I checked in, but the manager moved me the next day to a similar but quieter room, and 2) some rude staff. I hasten to add that most of the staff were extremely helpful and professional. However, the staff in the bar were, generally, unhelpful and, in two cases, rude and almost aggressive. I was quite distressed at some of the the treatment I encountered in the bar and would avoid it on future visits.

However, I will certainly return to the River Court because everything else about it was top-notch. You could spend hours on the lovely terrace overlooking the Nore and overlooked by the castle. There is a comfortable residents lounge and lots of nooks and crannies where you can relax and have a drink or just a breather.

The breakfast room is light and airy, and provides a great space to start your day. The food is good but not amazing. You're offered toast whether you've asked for it or not. That's a waste if you don't want it, and it's not really good, crisp toast, so it's probably ending up in the bin. I didn't try the cooked food but all the usual Irish breakfast heart-attack ingredients were in sight! The cereal and fruit choices were good.j

I used the salon, gym, and pool area a lot. The salon provides some great treatments (at a discount when I was there) and Nicola, the main or only therapist, has great hands! The gym is small but has the essential gear and is guarded by the stern-faced Markus, who also ensures that you wear a swimming cap in the pool (even though I've more hair on my chest than on my head).

This is a busy hotel, with a conference or wedding reception happening most days, so don't come here looking for an idyll by the river. Nevertheless, it felt quite relaxed and reasonably quiet during my stay.

Despite my misgivings about certain staff (looks like the bar manager is asleep on the job), the majority of the staff were excellent - professional, courteous, helpful, and friendly without being intrusive.

i would highly recommend a stay in the River Court.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Hotel was nice after they finally found my reservation after demanding my "voucher" from Expedia stating it was required for the stay. Expedia does not issue vouchers of course. This is an event hotel and there were people literally screaming in the bar area all night and drunken people returning to their rooms, very loudly talking and slamming doors. Numerous calls did nothing to quell the noise and with no air conditioning, there is no choice but to have the window open. Finally got to sleep after 3 am only to be awoken at 6 am by metal being drug across the parking lot as kegs were switched out. Miserable stay, avoid this hotel if you want any sleep!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Stayed there only one night, we had the Bed and Breakfast rate which made it very affordable for us. The terrace overlooking the river and castle can't be beat. The room was clean and extremely comfortable. We were sorry that we were staying for only one night. The breakfast was buffet with the typical choices. The food was very good. The location was good, convenient for sightseeing, shopping etc.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2009

My Daughters gave me a voucher for my 60th Birthday for the River Court Hotel in Kilkenny. When we arrived the staff were so friendly and helpful. When we got to our room we had been given The Earl Of Ormond Suite.[at no extra cost]. We were on the Golden Oldies Package.We were so impressed with it. The Food in the Restaurant is beautiful. and Staff are fantastic and so friendly. The Hotel is spotless.They also have a Thai restaurant in the Court Yard and the food is out of this World,and very reasonable.Over all The Package we had for the 3 nights was excellent value for Money.We will be going back. Take a big bow All The Staff in The River Court Hotel Keep up the good work. Carmel & Paddy Mc Guinness

Trikala, Greece
Reviewed 29 August 2009

This hotel proved to be one of my surprises during our Ireland tour this August. Its location is excellent, a few steps from town center. It has very clean rooms (although somehow old-fashioned), excellent room service, a nice and big breakfast room by the river, a very rich breakfast and, most of all, a very friendly and highly efficient staff. What else should I ask for ?
The only drawback is the rather limited car park space and the 2 euro charge everytime you leave the car park (parking is free in a lot of good Irish hotels).
Nevertheless, I'll prefer it in any future visit in Kilkenny.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Can't ask for a better location across the river with view of Kilkenny Castle. Restaurants and shops all within a few minutes walk. Parking is very tight, but available. Service is great and rooms are very nice. Breakfast selection was quite large in dining room overlooking river and castle.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple