The Metropole
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)
US$224
US$195
Kilkenny Inn Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$259
Agoda.com
US$200
US$165
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 April 2014

If you're looking for the Irish experience, this is the place to go. The rooms are clean, but not clinical. The owner is great guy, very helpful and witty. The bar had a band playing in session while we were there, and the mood was great. I can wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone going to Kilkenny with the intention of enjoying a great night at a pub.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Isak R
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We spent one night at the Metropole in Kilkenny. This place is a "dump". It is actually a hostile, although we were in a private room. The room was bare of anything other than a small bed. Paint was peeling off the walls and there was hair in the bath tub. When we arrived there was no heat in the room. I went down and asked the manager for heat. He said they would turn in on at 6 PM. At 8 PM I went down and asked again as nothing had happened to warm the room. He said they would turn it up, although I don't think it was ever turned on. It never did get warm. We left totally disgusted with this place.

Room Tip: Based on our experience, there are no good rooms in this dump.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAUL K
Reviewed 3 March 2014

When myself and my friends arrived the manager and owner was EXTREMELY rude and ignorant! There were another group of guests there at the same time in which he seemed to treat as he should have us but didnt! We stayed there for 2 nights unfortunately and we booked a FEMALE ONLY dorm and payed a little extra for the dorm. The dorm itself was ok but a little cold and the bathroom was revolting to say the least! The sexond night we stayed at this excuse of a hostel we came back to find that there were three men in the room. As i said we specifically booked a FEMALE DORM for a reason and to come back and see this was terrifying..this "OWNER" done this to guests after taking our money. I went down to the bar and demanded thag we be put in a different room or that these men be removed and we were told by the bar man that this wasnt possible as there wasnt any room and then offered to let us stay on the seats in the bar!! The next morning i demanded a refund for the 2nd night stay and the bar man said he would have to ring the owner/manager...he hung up on the barman and said he was busy! We coildnt wait around for him as we had to return home but i have been ringing this unprofessional establishment for 2 days straight now with no sucess of talking to this man. He was extremely rude to us and treated his staff like dogs. To say it was the worst experience of my life was an understatement and wouldnt recommend anyone stay there. He was also serving drink at half ten in the morning which is illegal and i am taking this matter further about getting my money back!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank ECarroll92
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Firstly, I'd like to say that we were on a stag and it is suitable for 25 lads away on a drink fuelled weekend and it was in a good location in the centre of town but that is probably about the only positive I could say about this place as accommodation goes. I stay in hostels when I travel all over Europe usually, and further afield, but this place is a complete and utter dump to be honest. The beds are comfy to be fair but some were damp, bathrooms are a mess, not even a door on our shower, the water went everywhere, the other shower in a room didn't work, mould and damp everywhere, as for the electrics, would be very cautious, bits and bobs in regards to pipes etc sticking out of everywhere and generally an awful finish, like something from a poor eastern European country in the 80's. This place needs a serious revamp, everything inside demolished and rebuilt. I would genuinely be extremely surprised if this place passed basic health and building inspections. Staff were fairly tolerant of a large group of drunken men and friendly, the manager, who is probably on edge when such a large group is there, had a shortness in his attitude which was noticed by all in he group. Would I recommend this place? For a stag, cheap and hilariously funny to look back on how bad it is. For anything else, absolutely no way.

Room Tip: Stag parties or absolutely no money left only should you stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sean T
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at Metropole. We saw the first three reviews and assumed it would be decent. Our room had no heat. We were told it would come on after 7. It was freezing! We had to go down to the bar to warm up. They said everyone took showers at once and therefore the heat wouldn't work. It finally came on, but since it was so cold it didn't warm up until around 2. My friend slept in her coat under the covers. When we woke up at 8 the heat was back off again. Apparently it's on a timer and not used during the day. It was too cold to even shower, so we left dirty and showered when we checked into a nice hotel. There were also people running down the hall yelling all night. The positive- the staff was very nice. I would have a beer there, but never stay a night!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends