“Don't stay here.”

Metropole hotel
Dijon, France
“Don't stay here.”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I thought I was getting an OK deal on this hotel/hostel for the night. I wasn't. We arrived to a dirty room with the walls peeling. The bathroom was disgusting and they provided no soap or waste bin.

To top it off the room next to us was screaming and shouting until 8am therefore making it a tired final day of vacation.

I would not come back

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank essjaibee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 August 2014

As women my friends and I found this hostel very unsafe. There are no staff on duty at certain times of the night and there were male guests roaming up and down the hallways and trying to get into all the rooms. At one point they actually managed to get into one of our rooms (a private double room) because it is not obvious what you need to do to lock the door and no one bothered to explain it to us when we checked in. When we complained to management the next day about the men getting into our room, their immediate response was to blame us for not knowing how the door locked. I would not stay here again if it was the only accommodation in Kilkenny.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Dirty horrible place!!! Owner is a con man & very rude, had 3 nights booked here but left after 1 terrible night. Bathroom so dirty & mouldy not fit for a dog! This place needs to be closed down. Would rather sleep on a park bench!!!! You would be insane to stay here.

Room Tip: dont stay in any
Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sallysmith125171
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Avoid this place like the plague-it was dirty,no locks on doors,falling apart-we had no choice but to stay one night and cancelled the following two we had booked but they refused a refund,even for the night they had more than 24hrs notice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trudy S
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in many places across the world but nothing quite as bad as this. Be warned it looks like a place tgats been stripped before having renovations done. The bathroom is mouldy with fixtures hanging off the walls. The walls are unplastered and where a connecting door once was is a piece of plywood held on by two screws. The door didnt lock and no lock on the bathroom door. Great for single women travellers....not!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teresa J
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked a room in a dorm for the night and wasn’t expecting much. I just wanted a bed and shower in the morning, so how could I go wrong?

Well, the whole place was a little shabby looking, but that doesn’t matter, right? When I got to the room it looked like they had cleaned the main areas, but could do with getting into the corners, etc. a bit more. When I looked in the bathroom things went from shabby to grotty. Peeling wallpaper revealing back mould. More black mould in the grout between the tiles and in the inexpertly applied silicone sealant around the bath.

Back in the bedroom I looked for somewhere to charge my phone. No luck. Not a single power socket in the entire five bed dorm. I would have walked out and found somewhere else but I had people to meet so I decided to grin and bear it.

The final piece of nastiness came the next morning. You see there wasn’t actually a curtain or blind on the window so when dawn came the whole room was flooded with wonderful sunlight. I had been out until 2am; I did not need a 6am wakeup call and the fact that the sunlight made it impossible for me to get back to sleep was infuriating.

This place is cheap, but sleeping on a park bench is cheaper and offers few additional down sides.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Place needs a big renovation and the attitude of the staff leaves a lot to be desired! That said bed was new and clean and room was passable. Fine if in a stag party group as you will be spending little time there but if considering it as a hostel there appeared to be much better choices in kilkenny

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends