“Pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Belfast, N Ireland
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Two older(??) couples stayed Sunday and Monday night on a special offer package. Normally we check Tripadvisor reviews in advance but in this case we didn't, so we had no idea what to expect.
We imagined Kilkenny to be a one-horse farmers' town - WRONG - it's a vibrant historical and quite stylish place and much the same can be said of this hotel.
We were so pleased that I voluntarily promised the delightful little blonde girl on the front desk that I would submit a good review to Tripadvisor. Now that I have seen the other reviews there is unfortunately little I can add. All the good things are true.
All the staff we met, from the front desk through the bars and restaurant (even the owner) were the most pleasant and helpful that we have ever encountered in a hotel. The food and service both at breakfast and dinner was excellent and the accommodation is first class.
As for any criticisms - OK - there's no lift which might deter some people, but you could ask for a ground floor room in the garden annex. There's no leisure centre / pool, but weve often not taken advantage of these in hotels where they were available, so we can live without that. We didn't experience any significant problem with noise even though we were in a room right above the street; again, if you are concerned about noise you might be better off in the garden suites.
A small residents lounge where non-drinkers (us) could relax would have been a useful amenity but otherwise we were really satisfied with this great place. Anyone who can't be happy here must be very demanding.

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms where we were are beyond criticism, but if you pay a little extra for a suit...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Czech first
Newbridge, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

We were upgraded to a suite and it was terrific. Nice hotel in a good location.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

had a short stay, very comfortabe bed and excellant service by the staff. I had washing done and the staff where more than efficent. Yes it does have quite a reception/ nightclub at the back but that didn't worry me or cause any concern when i stayed. Great breakfast. I had a twin room and the size of the room was fabulous.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here for the first time a few months ago and we really loved it here. We had been to kilkenny a few times for dinner and drinks but always wanted to stay as i have my wedding booked here for next year.
I would highly recommend Langtons, the staff are very attentive and i was given some great tips on places to eat/drink.
My partner and I stayed in room 7 which was amazing, the furniture was so lovely but maybe one too many pieces of furniture as the room felt a bit full.
The bathroom was really nice too, great shower and lots of toiletries which was nice.
We went out for dinner and drinks and arrived back at our room at about 12 and couldn't believe how loud the noise was coming from the nightclub. We didn't mind at first as we watched some tv but when it got to 4 in the morning and the noise seemed like it was never coming to an end we were quite annoyed at this.
Also someone had set the alarm off at 6 in the morning and we were woken up after less than 2 hours sleep. I will definitely be re-thnking the accomodation for family for our wedding as i don't think this would be suitable for them but everything else about the hotel we were delighted with.
We did however have the nicest breakfast ever the following morning, we left feeling a bit tired but on a whole we had a great time.
If your young and don't mind the music and noise then i doubt this would be an issue but i would not recommend staying here if your after a good night sleep.

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep do ask the staff to book you a room away from the loud music.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Last November, I stayed for one night in Langton’s House Hotel, as I was attending a function in the hotel. It was a Thursday night stay.

I had booked a single room and I was very much surprised and delighted to see the size and quality of the suite I was allocated! It was quite large, with hardwood floors; a huge bed with good quality linens; antique writing table and executive chair; couch, comfy chairs and a coffee table (with fresh fruit provided); spacious bathroom with Jacuzzi bath; and a walk-in wardrobe with coffee dock and iron / trouser press. It was beautifully decorated, and felt quite luxurious – particularly considering the fact that I got a good deal on the room for the night! I was highly impressed.

Service was excellent, the staff at the front desk and those servicing the rooms were very pleasant.

I was even impressed with the toiletries provided – good quality, and quantity as well. They even included a small container of bath salts! Nice touch.

There was ample private parking in the back of the hotel, and it is located right in the middle of Kilkenny City so there all the shops and sights are within walking distance.

My only complaint (andm unfortunately, it's a big one) is that Langton’s is a popular venue for functions, and there was a huge party in the ballroom for the Kilkenny hurling team the evening I was staying. Even though the ballroom was on the other side of the building, and despite the fact I had earplugs, I could hear music and people well into the small hours. Also, the room overlooked one of the main streets, John Street, and I could clearly hear people talking and shouting as they stood outside smoking / getting taxis / etc. which just added to the overall noise issue. It is a real pity, as I was so impressed with the room, the service, and the comfort of the hotel – however, I needed a good night’s sleep and I did not get it unfortunately. And this was a thursday night - considering how popular Langton's is (and its nightclub) I can only imagine the noise issue might be simiar on Friday & Saturday nights too. And my room was on the top floor...

Perhaps if I had stayed on a quiet night (a monday maybe??) I would have given it a 4 or 5 star rating as it really is a lovely place and I was so happy with the room - but sleep quality is very important to me, and I had little sleep that night!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Wosheen
Bolaang Mongondow, Sulawesi Utara, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

stayed there 29th of april 2012 in penthouse suite and it was amazing defo the best room i have seen and stayed in anywhere in ireland and europe has to be seen by yourself to describe one of the best nites sleeps had in a hotel bed was so comfortable and room was amazing staff very friendly and made you feel very welcome and even gave out that we booked out at 12 following day saying there is no rush to check chill and relax how often do you hear that, great location free safe parking food was amazing you got to try the baileys and brown bread icecream, breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked worth the 5 minute wait very moreish orange juice the best ive ever tasted plenty of bars in hotel to relax and have a good pint there is nothing i can say bad about the place and defo wil be going back there again

Room Tip: you must check out the penthouse spoil yourself
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in Langton's recently for our wedding anniversary. The staff were very welcoming and informative throughout our stay. They were always friendly took time to talk to guests. We stayed in one of the suites, which was very nicely decorated. We have eaten in Langton's on several occasions and once again dinner and breakfast was lovely. The only downside to the stay was the noise from the road outside our bedroom, but overall a great stay. Keep up the good work Langton's, we will be seeing you again. Thank you...

Room Tip: Road facing rooms are quiet noisy with passing traffic....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple