“Two nights, minor shortcomings, would recommend to everyone”

Langton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Melbourne, Australia
“Two nights, minor shortcomings, would recommend to everyone”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Hi, overall I would highly rate Langtons and will not only stay there again, but will be buying vouchers for loved ones to stay here.

We had a great stay and the shortcomings were some dishes in the restaurant, but the hotel staff did everything possible to keep us happy.

We were recommended the top three hotels listed on tripadvisor by a friend who visits Kilkenny and was there for last month's Kilkenny Arts Festival.

I liked the look of the pub when we walked through town, before getting lunch, then looked up reviews and availability online during lunch at a nearby pub (a great place with a review to come soon).

Langton's has had some deals recently on their website, so when we visited the hotel I asked about the deals and they were sold out of all rooms bar one. This was for a Monday and Tuesday night, on 'back to school week', so may have been full due to families going on long weekend breaks. We took the last available room, a first-floor superior garden suite, for $85/night including breakfast.

Great room! Huge and supremely comfortable King bed, very nicely done. The helpful woman at the front desk noted it was a twin room but during our booking she had Housekeeping re-furnish the bed as a King/double.

The bathroom is quite large and includes a bath/shower and usual facilities - plus a bidet, for some reason.

Aussies and other non-Irish might like the rainshower head on the shower. Note that with the rainshower head, there is very little water pressure. Simply use the other shower head, on the bath since it is much smaller and has much stronger pressure.

Room was in a nice quiet spot, behind the hotel. Close to carpark, which was handy for checkin/checkout (which is a nice, late 12PM). Beware the nightclub/disco (you will likely be warned by the checkin staff) - zero noise heard from the rooms, but you will get drunk, loud talking patrons returning to the rooms after 2AM. Now I feel OLD!

Speaking of age, the majority of patrons seemed to be the older crowd 50+, but there will be families and younger couples too, as well as some here for hen's nights or the nightclub.

The rooms, staff, facilities, convenience, parking and ambience at Langtons are top-class for a four-star hotel.

The only disappointment for us (a couple, early 40s, feeling old about the nightclub crowd at 2.15AM!) was the quality of some dishes at dinner and at breakfast.
The Irish Stew at dinner had no substance, missing vegetable ingredients, mutton was fatty but also overcooked/not tender, the worst my wife has ever had.
The omelette which she ordered for breakfast was also the worst she has ever had, with very poor quality Irish bacon (ham).
We were disappointed at this since every other aspect of the hotel was terrific. I wonder if the chef was not properly trained with western / Irish dishes, since they seemed to botch the Irish stew so much and it seemed to be ordered by a number of people around us at the time.

To his credit, the restaurant manager asked us how we liked the meal, my wife explained the detail of what was missing or botched on the Irish stew and he was very sorry and immediately removed it from our tab and apologised for it.

I hope that the hotel management act on our advice, since we noted the issues with the food both to the restaurant manager and upon checkout.

If Langtons had cooks able to cook quality ingredients to the required standard of a 4-star hotel, they would lilkely get a perfect score from us. Since we had two meals with disappointing food, I can only give this place 80% but would score it 100% if the food was recitified to the same standard as the staff and the hotel facilities.

We will return and try again some time.

Room Tip: Upstairs garden suites are more private and quiet than downstairs, if you can manage one small fligh...
3 Thank Ben B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Czech first
ireland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

As first impressions go it could not be any better. the welcome from the staff on reception was almost overwhelming. I arrived alone and was made to feel like i was returning home after years away. the girls even showed me where some of the group i was meeting had gone in to the bar for a drink. the food in the restaurant was top notch as was the service there. must say a special thank you to our lovely matre d' for getting us a table in the packed out restaurant at such short notice. We had a wedding there the next day and the ball room was like a fairy tale. glitz and glamour every where and as for the beer garden/smoking room it was like being in a different country except for all the home comforts. Bed rooms could do with a little up dating and the bar staff were not of the same standard as reception and waiting staff but these are the only let downs on an other wise perfect place to stay. I will be back again and soon i hope.

Room Tip: Rooms are very noisy in the main building at the weekend so maybe try the garden suites
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank recio
Athy, Ireland
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Recently dined, stayed, had drinks & entertained at Langtons! The staff, food & locations are excellent with a hands on approach visible from owner & managers. Bar/reception/restaurant staff are so helpful patient & understanding its a superb place to celebrate, spend time, eat & socialise!!! Cannot recommend them enough!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank 3ce
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2013

What a Fabulous Hotel!!! from the minute we stepped through the door we were warmly greeted with big smiles and made to feel really special. That continued throughout our stay with them. The staff are genuinely very friendly, pleasant, courteous and professional. We had a nice quiet room in the garden area which was spotlessly clean and lovely. The food in the Hotel was great and we will definitely return. I would recommend this Hotel to friends, family or anyone. We got a great deal with a voucher from an on-line booking company and it was terrific value for money. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are in the garden area.
3 Thank Geordieboy58_12
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding the August Bank Holiday Weekend and i can't honestly wait to go back there, we were treated so well by every single member of staff through out our stay and i must say they are a credit to the Hotel. Breakfast was beautiful and the Wedding meal was just fantastic. we stayed in room 74 and it was just amazing, the only down side was we didn't get to stay long enough.

For such a large, busy hotel, the staff never looked panicked or phased by it and always spared the time to say hello and make us feel welcome. I Will definitely be back here.

Room Tip: Room 74 was just beautiful but might not suit if your a light sleeper as you have street noise, than...
3 Thank Heights H
Dublin
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We got a really good deal with one of those online vouchers so didnt really expect too much. The rooms were spotless, huge double bed and jacuzzi in the bathroom, free choclates and Prosecco which went down a treat. The breakfast was buffet and also a sit down quite extensive menu, food was lovely and staff were extremely nice. There was a wedding on while we were there so the bar was pretty packed but they have a nice courtyard out the back and as the weather was good we were able to sit out there. The hotel itself is right in the middle of the town so central to everything. I realised when I got home that I left my jacket behind me so I contacted the hotel, within the day they found my jacket and sent it in the post to me. We had a lovely time at Langtons and would definetely recommend it to anyone. This is our fourth time to Kilkenny and Langtons would be 1st on our list if returning again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OzzieDublin
belfast
Reviewed 20 August 2013

First day we arrived we were offered afternoon tea which was just perfect and staff couldnt do enought for us, second day having afternoon tea, was told that I couldn't have a teapot had to take a mug which was dirty, got another mug which had a chip out of it, the cake stand had a large chip on it and then had to go and ask for clean plates, than had to go and ask for jam as we were only given one jar and it was tea for two, when asking about the bill I informed the waitress to charge it to my room she was shocked and said " oh I'm sorry I didn't know you were a guest" which shouldn't make any difference, whether I walked in of the street I'm still a paying customer, but I suppose you cant tar everyone of the staff with the same stick, apart from that we loved r stay, and the staff were very friendly

• Stayed August 2013