“Favourite restaurant in Kilkenny”
Review of La Palmyra - CLOSED

La Palmyra
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My friend & I enjoyed a delicious meal here last night. We both had Caesar salad for starters which was very tasty, gorgeous dressing on it.. I had chicken with white wine & mushroom sauce for main course, it was served with sauteed potatoes & a variety of veg, & the chicken was smothered in sauce....Yummy...I found the owner, Ricky to be most attentive & a very welcoming host...My friend enjoyed a pasta dish with a tomato sauce which she deemed incredible...I had a glass of white wine very nice :) The price was exceptionally cheap, for 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 coffee & 1 glass of wine it was less than €20 each!!!!! I would definitely recommend this restaurant & I can't wait to visit it again soon :) It's in an ideal location for bars & nightclubs afterwards...

7  Thank misscougar

Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

Got a seafood pasta dish. Had a small bit of salmon and about two prawns in it... And the rest of it was those seafood sticks that you get in dunnes for 39c... It was revolting. My girlfriend got a chicken dish and in her words " was like cardboard" I was unimpressed to say the least... Told the waiter and said I'm not paying full price.. I paid half price and got a bottle of wine (which we later found out later was cooking wine at best) terrible experience.. I'd rather eat bugs than eat there again.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Not the fanciest of restaurants but it does what it says on the tin, cheap OK Italian food for a good price. At present their 2 courses for €15 is great value and the service is very attentive by the couple of Romanian waitresses who were very friendly and welcoming. Starter garlic bread with cheese is filling as its basically a pizza base smothered with butter and garlic with sprinkle of cheese, varies each time we are in, really like it when its stacked up with garlic ( so long as you are both having it!!) The seafood risotto main and gamabas king prawn main is alos good with risotto rice or spagetti. Handy place just off John st and within touching distance of loads of great bars/clubs, basically this is a "sound choice" for a bit of scran and then a few beers on the town..... or rather "the city" come on the cats!!! Good stuff, you will enjoy value for money food. Oh and the wine, well €20 a pop for Pinot Grigio that in Aldi would tot you €7 well, they have to make their margin somewhere so who would begrudge them that! Slainte!

2  Thank pompeypaulo
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We went in for the "special" two course lunch offering: one starter and one entre. The price outside said the price €10. We went in and ordered one special as we do not eat much at any one meal. We we charged €21 & that came to $28!!! When we pointed this out the server became belligerent and said he told us the cost was €10 PER PERSON! The sign out front did NOT say "per person".
He was yelling at us in a way that scared me. He said "the Irish people never argue, only Americans." I finally paid him because he was becoming abusive. I woul NEVER recommend this place. I would note that we have been sharing meals/specials with no problems elsewhere in Ireland. Spoiled our trip to Kilkenny.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

The food here is fab and it is so cheap! (2 courses €15) The only thing I would say is that they are very busy and they rush you in and out so it's not the kind of restaurant you'd spend the night in taking your time, but the food is great and no waiting around on it!

1  Thank Claire M