“A unique craftsman in Kilkenny!”

Kilkenny Handwrought Silver
Ranked #8 of 20 Shopping in Kilkenny
Kingfield, Maine
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A unique craftsman in Kilkenny!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This was one of my highlights of visiting Kilkenny also. Located in a small shop off the courtyard of Kilkenny Design Center, he is a true craftsman & all of his handcrafted pieces are unique & one-of-a-kind. I saw a pendant in the window that spoke to me & my husband purchased it for my 50th birthday which I had celebrated the day before. Desmond is what you would picture as an authentic silversmith, with all the tools of his craft right there. He was completing refurbishing work on a beautiful large championship silver cup that he had originally made in the 1980s for the senior womens soccer championship. There were pictures displayed in the shop of him with the cup over the years each time he had refurbished it. He would be delivering it in the next few days for the new championship, he explained. We saw that cup on the news a few nights later - how cool was that?!. He signed & dated a card with my pendant. It is very special to me & visiting this shop will always be a special memory of our trip.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank pipersbabe

Dublin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Craftsman At Work”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Des Byrne's Silversmith shop is in the grounds of the Kilkenny Design Centre, Kilkenny. The shop is tucked away in the courtyard so make sure you look for him. He makes all his handwrought silver in his workshop which is on the premises and he is certainly 'one of a kind'. Such a lovely man. I purchased a kilkenny design ring which Des downsized right in front of my eyes. I walked away feeling special as so much care and effort went into getting my ring to fit just right! Groups of people came into the shop without purchasing anything and he was still happy to talk and give them a quick lesson about his craftsmanship. He has jewellery that is affordable, plus the added bonus that he only sells from his shop so you are buying a unique piece. We will be back again for sure when next in Kilkenny.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Brendadee
Alberta, Canada
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 456 helpful votes
“This was one of my highlights of Kilkenny!”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I enjoy buying quality, handmade silver jewlery for my wife. I was delighted to speak with Desmond Byrne, a noted Irish silversmith. The handmade items were of high quality and distinctly Irish in nature. When I left the shop, I felt that I had learned a little more of Irish history.

Visited January 2012